VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Just got VOOM installed today, and WOW. The quality is far above what I was expecting. Tons of HD channels. (around 30)

The only things that are aggravating at this point is that they will not be adding SCI-FI to their lineup until alter this summer(gotta get my Stargate SG-1 fix). I guess I'll be keeping the Directv basic service a little longer. Also, the HD Receiver box is HUGE!! It's about the size of the original VHS machines, maybe bigger.

It took a good hour to download the guide for the new box, but once it got everything, operation of the box was better. It does take a second or two to switch between channels, especially the HD ones. But once they come on, NICE!!

Another tidbit of information for those who might want to get VOOM. They supply a terrestrial HDTV antenna with the install for free. It's aclip on to the satellite dish. This would be good, except that they diplex the terrestrial and dish channels together. Mine did not work well, and the installer told me that they usually don't. However, simple solution. The VOOM box can be outfitted with a plugin module that allows you to plug in an indoor antenna. this module can/does route the indoor antenna through the HD decoder. So, if you get an HD ready antenna, I got an RCA ANT200, you can pick up the broadcast HD channels. I was not charged for the plugin module.

It's eird, but I would go to the store and look at the HD setups they had, and they looked good but not great. Probably because of the poor way they had them wired. Once you get this stuff in your house and they are running on your HD Projection TV and on your HD LCDs, man is this great.

I have not had this service for long(only a day). If anything changes, for better or worse, I'll revisit this post and add updates.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What does it cost?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Reports are the Voom Reciever can get flaky and require a reboot that requires a 1 hour redownload of the guide.
    Cendyne/Pioneer 105 & 104 with a Dazzle* Hollywood DV-Bridge.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i've never been into a shop and seen a TV setup properly. they're all (badly) tuned nto an RF distribution amp showing VH1 classic or something

On the odd occasion it's showing a DVD, it's plugged in by composite cables
    Plus they have strip lighting in those places, not good conditions for viewing screens.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by flaninacupboard
    i've never been into a shop and seen a TV setup properly. they're all (badly) tuned nto an RF distribution amp showing VH1 classic or something

Plus they have strip lighting in those places, not good conditions for viewing screens.
    Amazing, we have exactly the same problem in Europe...

However, over in Japan they've got it all sorted out. The Electrical stores seem to have tried to get as good a picture as is physically possible.
    I saw the most incredible picture on one of their TV's that was out on the street (In Europe or The US it would've been stolen on a daily basis). It was HDTV and the best quality and good enough to get me to stand in the street, gawping at Japanese TV I could've even understand.
    SUPPORT : http://www.fightdivx.com

Piracy impacts the lives of innocents victims
    such as Record Execs. and CEO's. Don't
    hurt these poor sweet babies, ahh..............
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by The_Pioneer
    Originally Posted by flaninacupboard

Amazing, we have exactly the same problem in Europe...
    REALLY?!

Check where i live
    Quote Quote  
  7. Since the account is not in my name , I'm not 100% on the cost, but I think for every channel they offer it's $80-90?

The receivers were a little flaky during the initial setup. The problem comes when they download updates to the software on the receiver. The receiver has to be in "standby" mode(meaning turned off) in order for it to install the patches or whatever.

When they first installed it, they told us to turn the receiver off over night and it should be fine. It took about 2 hours the first day to get everything updated and working. Now it seems to be fine, it's been 2 weeks and no problems.

The original HD programming is better than expected. Granted, a lot of the channels play "older" stuff. The best is the MONSTERS HD channel. They play old horror/sci-fi stuff from the '50s all the way up to the present. Mostly "b" stuff, but they did have a Friday the 13th -a-thon, a Godzilla/Gamera day, and here just recently they had Night of the Living Dead(original and 1990 remake) and Dawn of the Dead, Dead Alive and some other "zombie" movies. No commercials, no lame junk in between the movies, they just play teaser/trailer bits for what is coming on in the future and what is out in the theaters(last one I saw was for m. Night's The Village).
    Quote Quote