VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got mine under $1.00 US. Anyone else? Any good case sites or wholesales?

I use www.cdr411.com for my cases, I get my media on sale, this past week at compusa they had the -r 2x comp usa brand on sale a 50 pack for 19.99, I got 7.. lol I refill my ink cartridges with a super refill kit from Sams. 15 + refills for 21 bux.

So I have managed to keep cost down.. how about you all?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Discs are roughly $2.80 a pop in this country for ones you can trust to play back what you put on them. Cases, I'd estimate at about 50c a piece. Pens to write on the surface of the disc are about $3 and are good for a couple of hundred discs.

Works out a hell of a lot less than the $40-50 dollars that the one store in this town charges.
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."
    Quote Quote  
  3. I get cases from discountmedias.com and shop4tech.com for dvds. i can make a dvd counting case and dvd for under a buck.
    Quote Quote  
  4. 3 weeks ago Staples had Khypermedia 4x -R's for $ .25 after rebate. Micro center regularly has -R's for about $.70 each.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maxell 4x Printable DVD ~$1.25
    Amaray DVD Case ~$0.37
    Epson Prem Glossy Insert ~$0.51
    Ink for Espon R200 ~$0.30 (350-400 prints per ink set)
    Ink for Canon i960s ~$0.32 (HQ inks not Stratitec)
    ------------------------------
    $2.75.

Plus, need to pay the graphic artist, pay the camera dude, shrink wrap, mailers, and shipping/handling, lady that answers the phone and makes appointments/takes orders..........................

If I was Pirating movies,
    What ever DVD's on sale ~$0.30
    Free (AR) CD case ~$0.00
    Magic Maker ~$0.0000000001 (aprox. 1000 writes).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ disturbed1

How do you like the Espon R200, I am considering getting that printer, just to have something different for my DVD's

I guess if you can tell me

1. How good does the print come out on the DVD's
    2. Which kind have you found to be the best DVD's for print
    3. I came across someone talking about waiting 24hr for to dry??
    4. When you say 350-400 prints, are those full printed DVD's or just a few words on the disk?
    5. Would you get another kind of printer, which one and why?

Thank you so much in advance for the personal information..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I only use good stuff, so I take the high road.
    DVD-R Media $1-2.
    AlphaPak cases $1-2
    Color laser printout $2

About $5 per DVD. Why? Because I care.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HAMP
    @ disturbed1

How do you like the Espon R200, I am considering getting that printer, just to have something different for my DVD's

I guess if you can tell me

1. How good does the print come out on the DVD's
    2. Which kind have you found to be the best DVD's for print
    3. I came across someone talking about waiting 24hr for to dry??
    4. When you say 350-400 prints, are those full printed DVD's or just a few words on the disk?
    5. Would you get another kind of printer, which one and why?

Thank you so much in advance for the personal information..
    1. Great, fantastic, looks really good :P Honestly though, depends on the source image. Most of mine are either 600DPI or 1200DPI, 90% created from scratch using extra high res art work. I did scan in a couple of PS2 games, and turned out pretty good too.

2. I've used (DVD-R), Ritek, Maxell, Optodisc, Verbatim, Prodisc, Taiyo Yuden, Lead Data, Samsung.

Maxell, Verbatim, and Samsung are my favs. Ritek doesn't have enough print area, Prodisc is just a little funky, but a good lower priced choice. Taiyo Yuden also have a really small print area.

3. At a +0 print setting, my Maxells are dry in an hour or so. With a +1 and the Prodisc, it is still tacky after a day.

4. Complete coverage Maxell DVDs. I use DVD HQ surface, +0, 119mm outside, 41mm inside. It depends on the colors (of course), but I get 350-400 per ink set. Also, once Epson tells you the ink is out, you can reset the chip and get more prints. I recently reset my black cart, and ended up getting 25+ more prints out of it with images that were 90% black. I reset my Yellow around 30 prints ago, and it's still going.

5. Yes, Canon. I hate Epson. Hate 'em, hate 'em. <-Personal oppinion of course I went through 3 R300, which none worked out of the box. With this R200, the tray stopped working correctly after ~150 prints. It still has an attitude sometimes. But for the money, and considering there isn't an alternitive in the US, minus the much more expensive Bravo, it's a decent buy.

Retail price at staples for ink - Black $18.35, plus $13..25 per each color (x5). You can find better deals though, like Office Depot and a $10-$25 off coupon. Also, www.atlex.com sells original carts for less than retail price. I usually buy 5-6 sets at a time to save $100 over retail.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm afraid I go the cheap route. I pay about $.65US for the DVD media I use, no name, no coasters. Scribble a title on with a Sharpie and put into a plastic/fabric sleeve and file into a basket. Oh, and about $.25US for the sleeve, which holds 2 DVD's.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I just do shit for my own archives but I think

$3.50 covers everything from discs, laser copies, ink, overhead for ****ups, case.

But if I added my rime in there @ $10/hour to capture, author, menu, burn etc... Then it would be $80 / DVD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think Naked Geek is the ultimate example of how "cheap" someone can make a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ disturbed1

Thank you soo much for the information, I am still in between should I do it for the look of the disk, More then likely I will be getting it. Also I hope you don't mind once I get it, letting you know how I feel about the printer!!!

Once again, thank you
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    disturbed,
    I just checked out atlex.com and love the ink prices, but just to verify, those aren't generic ink carts, but orginal epson, right? Its says they are, but companies have been known to lie.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    100% original carts, not generics.

Ground shipping to Chillicothe should take 3 days, unless you're way out in the boonies, then it could be 4 days.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, anothe question. I checked out Amary's website and they have some great looking cases. Do the cases have a plastic insert all the way around from front to back to put the case label into. Basically, is it possible to make it look exactly like an orginal case. Also, where do you buy the cases from?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD+R=$.65 (that's around the price I always pay for name stuff like Verbatim, Maxell, etc)
    DVD case=$.27 (I buy in bulk)
    Glossy insert=$.16 (bulk)
    DVD glossy label=$.4 (I think that's what it comes out to when all is said and done)
    Ink= Not sure, its neglible, since 3 sets of cyan/magenta/yellow/black costs me $15. I can print out 50 8x10's at photo quality on glossy paper, so go by that.

So my costs come out to about $1.15 I'd say. Most can't tell the difference between my DVDs and retail DVDs. The only problem I have is that the dvd label itself comes out lighter than a retail one, so that usually gives it away to people in the know. Otherwise, you can't really tell the difference.

The dvd cases have full insert, so I print out the entire dvd case insert onto paper, cut it, and then slide it in. I get my cases off ebay, but I'm going to start getting from places like shop4tech.com or supermediastore.com since they have even better prices. My plan is to get it down to $1 or less everytime and I'm well on the way to it.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Cheap DVD with White printable cover 34Cent each
    Slim Case = Cost 0 cent.. czu it is FREE AFTER REBATE

so 34cent for each dvd :P

If you count on my work like menu, authoring, burning, and some hr to encode, :P
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    around A$1.80 or $2.60 if I use 2 discs , disc 60c , case 25c , photo paper 30c , dvd coverart 14c , ink for cover & disc 50c , they look fantastic , the covers look better than the originals , the discs look great but you can tell it is a copy because i can not print ink right up top the centre.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by redwudz
    I'm afraid I go the cheap route. I pay about $.65US for the DVD media I use, no name, no coasters. Scribble a title on with a Sharpie and put into a plastic/fabric sleeve and file into a basket. Oh, and about $.25US for the sleeve, which holds 2 DVD's.
    I am in the same boat as you unless I am doing something for a friend.
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I get my supply from www.shop4tech.com with following price:

DVD-R (sonic 1-2x sometime it works on 4x with my NEC2500) $0.31 per disc free shipping
    DVD case slim $0.25 free shipping
    DVD insert $0.26 free shipping
    INK $0.01

and sometime I also buy some from www.rima.com for the same price, but overall wise, depends who give me good price and good service!
    Quote Quote