VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,
    I got a good look at a few of the Media interfaces and also got a look at Winxp MCE. I really like this concept but I am a thrifty ( read cheap.. person. I have a LeadTek Win2000xp expert card that I got, but I am thinking I got the wrong thing.
    Heres what I want to be able to do.
    I want to be able to fire up the CPU and have access to the satellite channels that we subscribe to through the PC and be able to set the recording through an EPG of some sort.

My other option is a DVCR option from Dish that costs 99 dollars to upgrade to.

Thoughts, suggestions.....laughter ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Here is what I currently do for programmed satellite capture:

I'm using AVI_IO (It's a very inexpensive capturing programme...$24 I think it was) This programme has a recording timer on it but you'll have to tune your Dishnet receiver to the channel you want beforehand as it doesn't have any way of changing channels for you. It won't work like Dishnet's DVR, but the quality is just as good if not better (I always capture at 720x480 because I burn to DVD later).

After the capture is finished, I use VirtualDub to cut out parts I don't want (commercials, etc.) and frameserve to TMPGEnc. I get a very nice, almost DVD quality mpg file with this procedure.

I don't know if there is any way for your PC to control advanced programmed channel selection on your Dishnet receiver. If someone does know how to do this, I would also be very interested.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To my knowledge, you cannot bypass the Dish receiver. This would mean that you must either use a capture card in your computer, or get a Dish PVR and search the Internet for instructions on transfering the files to your computer.

Also, it is my understanding that Dish does not broadcast above 352X480, or 1/2 D1. I could be mistaken though.
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by leebo
    Also, it is my understanding that Dish does not broadcast above 352X480, or 1/2 D1. I could be mistaken though.
    They do. Depending on the day of the week, the alignment of Venus against Leo, and how much crank Charlie had the night before, the average resolution is 480x480 or 544x480.
    Quote Quote  
  5. "Suggestions for captures from DishNetwork "

I usually record scooby doo from cartoon network.

Actually, the ones I mess with are all 544x480. I use the DVR. Much nicer than messing with a PC. If you want to save some stuff to DVD, you can just play it back and cap it latter. The playback quality is exactly the same as the broadcast. The 120 gig hard drive holds quite a bit, so there is almost no need to save to dvd unless you are making a collection, or selling the stuff on ebay
    Quote Quote