VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. is there any DV camera's that have the ability to change the fps they record at... for example, set the camera to record at 60fps.. or 90fps.. so that when sent to the computer it's at 1/2 and 1/3 speed

just looking for a way to do some shots in slow motion, and in real slow motion, not simulated
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds expensive!! It's probably out there....

JVC GR-DVL9800U ???
    JVC GR-DVL9800 ???
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or you could transfer the DV movie into an AVI DV type2 and use virtualdub to separate the fields into two different frames and get a 60 fps progressive movie (720x240). Then just resize to 720x480 and finally change the frame rate to 30fps. After this is done you will have a very smooth movie that runs at 1/2 speed.

Look for deinterlace guides.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Too complicated man!!!

Let the software do it for you. Within Adobe Premiere, you can right-click over any clip in the timeline, and "change speed", and choose a percentage...

I like the MTV effect, in where the footage speeds up and slows down abruptly..
    To do this in Premiere, simply put a cut in the footage with the scissors, and then change speeds in both clips...The first, at 120%, and the other at 60%..

Good luck!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's even easier in Vegas - use velocity envelopes. No cutting required.

Bear in mind that each of the methods mentioned here require the creation of missing data, either through resizing of fields to full frame, or through the creation of intermediary frames. All of these will result in variable quality, in some cases much lower than the original.

Probably the best software solution I have seen was a plugin for after effects called (i think) Re-Timer. It uses a clever morphing technique to creat the missing frames, and looks carefully at the motion within the frame to get the best result. You can add to it's calculations by creating guides as a hint to how the motion travels, and which edges to watch. The results are the closest to the real thing that I have seen.
    Quote Quote