VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All,

I have a Sony TRV22e, have just realized that the firewire port in the camcorder does not work properly. I have come to this conclusion after geting advise from this forum, and doing a lot of tests!!! (checked it with differnt firewire cards, cables, different PC, different operating system, etc...) Now I have 2 questions.

1. Is there any difference in the quality of the video, if I use USB cable instead of the firewire? (and is there a big difference in the speed of downloading) If not, I can use the USB cable. I'm a bit reluctant to give my new camcorder for repairing, unless it makes a big difference.

2. Write now, when I use my USB cable, the pictures I get are blurred (looks like dots of water had been on the camera lence). But, when I used my camcorder in another computer (through USB), the pictures were ok. Do you know how can I improve the quality?

Thanks in advance....
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1. Is there any difference in the quality of the video, if I use USB cable instead of the firewire? (and is there a big difference in the speed of downloading) If not, I can use the USB cable. I'm a bit reluctant to give my new camcorder for repairing, unless it makes a big difference.
    no , you cannot use usb to transfer dv video from your camcorder. usb is meant for transferring stills, not video. if you dont want to get the cam fixed, the only way to capture would be to get a capture card, like a Canopus ADVC-100.

2. Write now, when I use my USB cable, the pictures I get are blurred (looks like dots of water had been on the camera lence). But, when I used my camcorder in another computer (through USB), the pictures were ok. Do you know how can I improve the quality?
    that sounds pretty wierd, ive never head of that before.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

no , you cannot use usb to transfer dv video from your camcorder. usb is meant for transferring stills, not video.
    Well... I have transfer video (its video and not stills, but I'm not sure DV or not) thorugh USB. It works. But, I couldn't compare it with the quality of a transfer using Firewire.

Thanks....
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    while you may be able to transfer video through usb, its not nearly as fast as firewire, and therefore the video will not be good quality as you said. firewire is a straight digital to digital transfer of the dv avi file. usb will not make a true dv avi file.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the advise.....
    Quote Quote