VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. I was wondering if anyone knows a way of protecting your own dvd movies that you make...just a protection from people that doesnt let them just copy and paste the files from the video_ts folder onto their hdd's..kinda like the CSS..that you need a decryptor to copy them....i am looking for something like that, or is that impossible to do? ..one of my friends said that when he makes homemade dvd's and burns them with NERO, he said that u cant just select the files and copy them onto the hdd..i am wondering if anyone else knows about it....any feedback about this would be appreciated...thanx in advance..JaNjArAc

2. Several people already asked this.

Most of the people who reply just laugh. I dont know why but I mostly its cause no you can't protect them.

Search Comp PM
    Before you get blasted, let me direct you to a couple of threads:

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220887

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=221544

Basically, "home" protection falls into these categories (not specifically you):

1. Home movies - No one wants to copy your kid's damn t-ball game, so don't worry about it. If they do, let them and consider it a compliment.

2. Pirated DVDs - you've ripped and copied a rental/borrowed DVD, now someone wants to borrow and copy it, but you want them to pay or some such. Shame on you. Tough shit.

I hope that this has been educational.

4. Commercial DVDs use the best protection offered for DVD Video discs. You have probably bypassed this to copy it - even if you laid on protection it still must play in all DVD players otherwise the disc is useless.

Because of that fact, you cannot protect it further.

All I can suggest is to lock it in a safe!

Cobra

Search Comp PM
    Just a little addendum.

Here's links to a couple of the more entertaining threads on this topic:

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220887

On this thread, pay no attention to the last post.
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=221544

6. erm i use a simple method peeps, i usually put a black screen last about 15 mins at the end of my wedding film. I then put a small delibrate scratch near the end of the burned area ( a tiny one), stops most peeps

Search Comp PM
    Someone who says "peeps" is more likely in the "I think will work" territory, rather than in the "This does work because I've tried it" territory.

Again, too much effort to protect your damn wedding/kindergarten play/dance recital videos.

For those who want to copy nokianeeds' DVDs (if he has used his "copy protection"), simply use Smart Ripper and rip out all chapters but the last. An alternate method is to use any ripper in VOB mode and forget the last one.

I'll make sure to cross-post this info in every forum here so that no one is denied nokianeeds exquisite video production.

Search Comp PM
    Hi Janjarac,

I'm having a guess here, but I presume you want to protect the DVD coz it's something like a wedding etc. that you've done semi-professionally and don't want to get ripped off?

If that's the case, a (useful) suggestion (as opposed to those who feel the need to make themselves feel better by belittling others) I've seen given to a similar question is to charge an up-front fee (you choose how much) that will cover your time and expenditure and also take into account the fact that people will / can copy it.

You then say to the customer that, with the fee paid, people are free to make as many copies as they want. That way, you don't get ripped off and you may even end up doing the copying for them if you're smart enough to offer the service as well...
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

9. No nothing that works.
    Various tricks and gimmicks to try that might slow down the stupid, but if the disk is playable it can easily be copied by anyone with a brain!

Heck even those without brains can copy Disney DVD's! I think that says it all right there
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam

10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Janjarac
    I was wondering if anyone knows a way of protecting your own dvd movies that you make...just a protection from people that doesnt let them just copy and paste the files from the video_ts folder onto their hdd's..kinda like the CSS..that you need a decryptor to copy them....i am looking for something like that, or is that impossible to do? ..one of my friends said that when he makes homemade dvd's and burns them with NERO, he said that u cant just select the files and copy them onto the hdd..i am wondering if anyone else knows about it....any feedback about this would be appreciated...thanx in advance..JaNjArAc
    knowing that using some schemes and progs don't always work I resorted to using tags. A light watermark on the video (titling) will show on the DVD as it's played on your computer but it's hiden on the TV since it sits JUST outside the NTSC border range.

can they still copy my work? yes. Will this stop them? No.. but at least someone will know where the original came from and come visit the site for more videos.. Good idea? prolly not.. but what's a person to do..

11. What a persons to do?

Stop worring about it mostly!

I am making original DVDs, do I worry and lose sleep over someone that is not going to buy it anyway might get a free copy? NO, I am just happy I got money for the one that was the master for the copy

The fact is, no-one should own any rights to some-one elses wedding, funeral, strip tease at the local bar or whatever! They pay you or me to make THEIR master of THEIR work! THEY OWN IT, not us!! Go work for Disney or Warner as a camera man and try to claim rights to THIER productions and see how far you get! Same for editing the footage!
    You think some guy in the back room cutting a clip or doing alittle authoring actaully gets lifetime royalties and full copyrights to anything they touch while at Disney or Warner etc..??

Nope if we are hired to do a job, then the person or group that pays us to do that job owns the rights, not us! Who plans the wedding, writes the script for the wedding, invites the guests, buys the flowers, pays all the bills including us to film it. Those are the copyright owners, it's thier production and they own the rights to it!

Now if you add your own original art work and write your own music/songs for the background ect.. then you own the write to that maybe, but not to the wedding or whatever. They still have the right to strip out your work and make as many copies of thiers as they want!
    We are under a contract to do a job and claiming any rights once that job is finished is just plain theft on our part!

Now as for our own original works, I am making some recordings of HOW TO type videos for autowork and a HOW TO magic video, those are mine I own all rights! I wrote the scripts, I do the magic, I show how the magic is performed, I master the disks. Just let some ass holding a camera try to make some claims here!!! Where I can I perfrom using a tripod mounted camera, but I have a few illusions to get a good clear showing I will need a cameraman, only thing he gets is a few bucks an hour while working then he is gone forever! No rights, no royalties, paid while working and get lost after words!

ANd if I get this production into mass production when finished I am not gonna pay the macro vision fees of $150 or $250 either for copy protection, the hell with them. No protection! I am smarter than Warner or Disney, it don't work so I won't pay to have it used!

Buyer beware, or in the video word it is seller beware!

There is only one working copy protection method that is absolutely fail proof an should actually be used by everyone!
    DON'T make it if you don't want it copied!!!
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam

Search PM
    Originally Posted by overloaded_ide
    I am making original DVDs, do I worry and lose sleep over someone that is not going to buy it anyway might get a free copy? NO, I am just happy I got money for the one that was the master for the copy

The fact is, no-one should own any rights to some-one elses wedding, funeral, strip tease at the local bar or whatever! They pay you or me to make THEIR master of THEIR work! THEY OWN IT, not us!! Go work for Disney or Warner as a camera man and try to claim rights to THIER productions and see how far you get! Same for editing the footage!
    You think some guy in the back room cutting a clip or doing alittle authoring actaully gets lifetime royalties and full copyrights to anything they touch while at Disney or Warner etc..??

Nope if we are hired to do a job, then the person or group that pays us to do that job owns the rights, not us! Who plans the wedding, writes the script for the wedding, invites the guests, buys the flowers, pays all the bills including us to film it. Those are the copyright owners, it's thier production and they own the rights to it!

Now if you add your own original art work and write your own music/songs for the background ect.. then you own the write to that maybe, but not to the wedding or whatever. They still have the right to strip out your work and make as many copies of thiers as they want!
    We are under a contract to do a job and claiming any rights once that job is finished is just plain theft on our part!

Now as for our own original works, I am making some recordings of HOW TO type videos for autowork and a HOW TO magic video, those are mine I own all rights! I wrote the scripts, I do the magic, I show how the magic is performed, I master the disks. Just let some ass holding a camera try to make some claims here!!! Where I can I perfrom using a tripod mounted camera, but I have a few illusions to get a good clear showing I will need a cameraman, only thing he gets is a few bucks an hour while working then he is gone forever! No rights, no royalties, paid while working and get lost after words!

ANd if I get this production into mass production when finished I am not gonna pay the macro vision fees of $150 or $250 either for copy protection, the hell with them. No protection! I am smarter than Warner or Disney, it don't work so I won't pay to have it used!

Buyer beware, or in the video word it is seller beware!

There is only one working copy protection method that is absolutely fail proof an should actually be used by everyone!
    DON'T make it if you don't want it copied!!!
    I wish you had contributed to the thread about 6 months ago that dealt with the ethics/morality/legality of videographers at weddings. Maybe you did, and if so,

Effectively, no you cannot 100% copy proof your DVD. If you can play it, someone else can copy it. Simple as that.

As mentioned there are ways to trick certain members of the DVD duplicating public with varying levels of success, but no one failsafe.

I think the most poignant point of some of the previous threads on this topic is:
    User types 'copy a DVD' into google. Within 10 seconds they're browsing this site reading this thread. Then its simply a case of match your DVD to the copy protection method.
    (Thanks to the user that contributed this - your name escapes me )
    If in doubt, Google it.

13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You may mock those who wish to protect their DVDs from being copied however check out this :

I used to play in an Indie rock band in the 80's.
    We had several album releases.
    We own the copyright on our own material.
    There is a fan base on the interweb keen to get footage of us.
    I have found some footage from 1990. We own the copyright.
    They will pay.
    Demand is not so high that we can afford to press multiple DVDs so I am planning to sell them mail order from home.
    I am doing this out of my home and want them to be copy protected and not freely distributed via the www.....

so what is the solution ?

14. The solution was up the top...

Really people...

If you want to keep copyright of your video/image and you don't want other people to have it, then don't release it to the public! Simple as that.

No one is going to be able to copy your precious video footage if you don't give it to anyone else. If you think a fan is going to break into your house for the purpose of stealing video footage of you, then may I suggest that you have a check on your ego...

If you actually want to RELEASE copyrighted video on a DVD then your best bet is to get it properly authored and pressed with CSS and Macrovision, etc (not that it actually works as a useful copy protection mechanism). If your target audience isn't big enough to warrant that sort of distribution, then arguably there isn't all that much scope for people WANTING to copy your video in the first place (and perhaps you shouldn't be releasing it at all).

Simply put, the best copy protection for DVDs is what you get that comes out of Hollywood. In case you haven't noticed, it doesn't really work.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence

15. Copy protection does not work, period, is correct! If I can watch it I can copy it!

As for fan clubs seeking footage for the net??? Well face it, if they can play it to a TV to watch it, they can analog capture it the same as I do my Disney and Warner VHS tapes for DVD backup! I can also analog capture comercail DVDs, but why bother with that when I can just rip for backups?? If it is gonna be put on the net, do you think they really care about the analog quality compared to a DVD quality?? And if it is home made DVD then it probably is not true DVD quality anyway but more like VHS, although a few people do make great commercail DVD quality disks it is very rare I find one!

The only way anyone is ever gonna copyprotect Homemade DVDs that will actually work to prevent making copies is to simply make the DVD NOT work to begin with!!! Same thing with comercail DVDs!
    And how many of the people buying your DVDs are going to be happy getting a NON-working disk they cannot view at all?
    Yep that is true copy protection that actually does work, print the disk and stick it in a nice case with pretty cover, just don't burn the disk, then they can not copy it

Heck the only reason I actually STARTED ripping mine was cause Disney had me so pissed off!! I was not into DVDs when Snow White collectors edition came out and I had no set top player. I did have 3 Pcs with DVD rom drives (No burners) and the $hit Disney copyprotection stopped my daughter from being able to watch the legally purchased DVD on her Pc or any other we had. SOOOO, Disney FORCED me to learn to rip disks even though I had no real enterest in doing so. I bought 6 of the exact same collector DVDs and could not watch one myself! 1 to open to watch, 5 to save still sealed. I spent over $130 and then I can't watch them, hell too!! So thank you Disney for encouraging me to learn a new skill
    Not that it took long to learn either
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think DVD Workshop 2 has a checkbox for "Macrovision" when creating DVD content. I don't know if it works, as I never copy protect my work, but I think that would be the item to research.

17. I think DVD Workshop 2 has a checkbox for "Macrovision" when creating DVD content. I don't know if it works, as I never copy protect my work, but I think that would be the item to research.
    Might be worth a look, but I dought it personnally though I never looked at the program myself.

I do know however that the cost is like $150 or $300 to add macrovision to my DVDs if I have them comercialy produced. I would never pay it anyway, so I did not pay attention to the exact price or details.
    Unless that's either a very expensive program or sliding by on the side, I don't see how they could include copy protection with a check box, though it's barely worth the effort to click it anyway.

If it can be added to homemade DVDs at all, a simple check box would be logical! After all, that's all it takes to remove it too
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam

18. Turning on "Macrovision" simply means that your DVDs will have the Macrovision bit turned on... It doesn't stop anyone from copying your discs. It MAY stop someone doing an analogue copy only...

The fundamental flaw with DRM for pre-recorded video/music is that the end user must have (i) the content, (ii) the encryption algorithm AND (iii) the key for them to be able to actually view the content. What this means is that the end user has ALL the means to break whatever encryption method is used. Whatever strength encryption used is actually irrelevant as when the end user has all three of the above, the only way of stopping a trivial attack is by obfuscation. Using a physical analogy, if the content is a book, then any DRM model for pre-recorded media would be like a chest with a lock with the key glued to the bottom of the chest. It doesn't matter how fancy your lock and key is, as long as you know how to unglue and release the key, you can unlock the chest.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence

19. I operate a professional video production company and yes I know how to copy a regular copy protected DVD too. I have projects that I work on that may get copied by clients. I have been brain storming on how to protect my investment on this matter. Well I came across a problem when trying to "back-up" a DVD that had PCM audio as the only audio track on the DVD. It filled up the dual layer disc and I couldn't encode the video without it looking like ass. I tried to re-encode the audio to AC3 with no luck. I wanted to preserve the content of the disc (menus, bonus features, etc.) I also noticed that there were several extra video track added for scene selection stuff. It was a very complicated disc. I spend countless hours trying to beat it. Wasted too much time researching I gave up on it. Well that is my solution anyway. With the new Dual Layer burners available record your DVD on a Dual Layer disc and send it to get mass duplicated and fill that sucker up with PCM audio as the only source and multiple high res video tracks that makes it a chore for even the most experienced pirates... errr I mean enthusiast.

20. Originally Posted by low-fat-al
    With the new Dual Layer burners available record your DVD on a Dual Layer disc and send it to get mass duplicated and fill that sucker up with PCM audio as the only source and multiple high res video tracks that makes it a chore for even the most experienced pirates... errr I mean enthusiast.
    New dual layer burners don't mean much with regard to "mass duplication" at the current media price point. Joe Blow will still manage to make a copy. If you and I can get dual layer burners, so can he.

21. Originally Posted by low-fat-al
    makes it a chore for even the most experienced pirates... errr I mean enthusiast.
    Whilst I see your problem (losing money if clients just duplicate your hard work) I also believe that people have to be able to personally create backups/secondary copies for themselves. Sadly, the two cannot go hand-in-hand. I am not a pirate because I copy all my DVDs, and I resent being called one.

I had to rip all my CDs into Vorbis and all my DVDs either to other DVDs or to DivX to take to university. If I were to be taking all my originals, it would cost me a lot in insurance due to the fact that thieves target them. Also, it protects my originals so when I inevitably scratch the disc it doesn't matter - my original is safe.

That's one situation where a customer has to be able to copy DVDs. It is only fair.

Cobra

22. For evry person working on a copy protection method, there's several hundred, if not thousands oF talented, motivated people working to thwart him/her. Since reverse engineering is easier than original creation, which side would you bet on. The best way to avoid coping is to have a product that no one wants. Nyah lLevi

23. Originally Posted by low-fat-al
    I know how to copy a regular copy protected DVD
    Originally Posted by low-fat-al
    I came across a problem when trying to "back-up" a DVD that had PCM audio
    Originally Posted by low-fat-al
    I have been brain storming on how to protect my investment on this matter.
    How come you find it acceptable to copy/backup someone else's work, but you are going to some effort to prevent your own customers doing likewise?

Search Comp PM
    I missed your message when it was originally posted, but overloaded_ide, you not only hit the nail on the head, you knocked it through the board!

Search Comp PM
    The way to copy protect your home movies is simple. Just put obese ole cousin Roy nekkid in your intro menu. Everyone will be too repulsed to watch anything else.

I hope this has been helpful.

Have fun stormi' the castle!

Rog
    There are many ways to measure success. You just have to find your own yardstick.

26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ULead DVD WOrkShop 2 does specify Region coding and CSS encryption as features of the product. Check out page 3 of the following document.

http://www.ulead.com/dws/dws2_2_features.pdf

Also the following demo

Ulead Workshop 2 Demo

27. Originally Posted by mr_jbloggs
    ULead DVD WOrkShop 2 does specify Region coding and CSS encryption as features of the product.
    Not on a dvd-r. That only applies to discs that are sent out to get pressed with the related copy protection fees paid.

28. I use a lead in clip before the menu with the following text and a graphic of the FBI Logo followed by my company logo...

FBI Warning

Federal Law Provides severe civil and criminal penalties for the unauthorized reproduction, distribution or exhibition of copyrighted motion pictures, video tapes, DVD or video discs. Criminal copyright infringement is investigated by the FBI and may constitute a felony with a maximum penalty of up to five years in prison and/or a $250,000 fine.

DO NOT COPY

Plus I insert my company logo in the lower right hand corner of the picture for the full length of the movie.

Truth is that Human Nature being what it is, people will always want something for nothing. The best thing you can do is try and stop honest people from copying your material. No warning ever stopped a dishonest person.
    Geronimo

29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    > FBI Warning

Federal Law Provides ...etc, etc

DO NOT COPY

That's been on commercial video tapes and DVDs for over 20 years. Think it's actually worth the time you spend putting it there?

30. Bob...

Truth is that Human Nature being what it is, people will always want something for nothing. The best thing you can do is try and stop honest people from copying your material. No warning ever stopped a dishonest person.
    Worth the time? I have my company logo and this warning already rendered to AVI. It's just a matter of dropping the intro AVI into the timeline ahead of the menu. Time...about 1 second. The thing that really helps is my logo with my company name in the lower right corner for the entire movie.

Truth is...if they want to copy it...Oh well!
    Geronimo