VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently set up a home network with a dlink 604. Since I've done this I can no longer use the voice conversations in windows messenger. I've searched a lot for a fix or settings change but I can't find anything that helps.

So far I've made sure the router was set to enable uPNP. I've also made sure that the ssmp and upnp services, i think thats what they are known as, were enabled and running on windows xp. The odd thing is that when I enable dmz on the firewall it still won't work. I was under the impression that that opens up your computer so that no firewall is present.

Voice converstions worked fine before i installed this router so I'm thinking its something with that. I read that messenger uses dynamic port allocation for video and voice so that that stuff will work when there are other programs running that could use similar ports. So I openned up that port range that microsoft provided and I also openned up port 6901 which is suppose to accept the incoming voice info. None of that has worked. If anyone can provide info to what could be causing this problem I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. "A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct."
    - Frank Herbert, Dune
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for that link but I have those ports forwarded already on the firewall. Those entries were automatically configured when I installed the router. I wish it was that simple. If anyone has encountered this same kind of situation any advice would be helpful cause this is really bothering me.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Is your Messenger using the same ports that MS specified?

I had the same problem with my DI-614+ DMZ not working... now I have an SMC router, and am much happier with it.
    Quote Quote