VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Problem:

How to make a personal copy of your double-sided DVD (Side A & Side B) onto a single 4.7 GB DVD disk.

For this Example, I will use the film Goodfellas.
    Pros - You won't have to flip the DVD in the middle of the film
    Cons - You won't be able to keep any of the menus or DVD extras

Tools Used:

DVD Shrink 3.1.7.5

DVD Decrypter 3.2.2.0

Nero 6.3.1

Assumed DVD ROM drive and DVD R/W drive

Step One:

>>Insert Goodfellas Side A into your DVD-ROM drive

>>Open DVD Decrypter and select "Mode>File"

>>Click the "DVD>HD" icon at the bottom to create the VIDEO_TS folder for the film

>>Once DVD Decrypter has finished, go to Step Two

Step Two:

>>Flip the DVD to Goodfellas Side B

>>Open DVD Shrink

>>Select "Open Files" and browse to the Goodfellas VIDEO_TS folder and click "OK"
    (This is the same folder you just made with DVD Decrypter, which is Side A)

>>Once it has finished "Analyzing", drag "Title 1" from the "Main Movie" section on the RIGHT to the "Re-authored DVD" section on the LEFT

>>Now select the drive where the Goodfellas DVD (Side B) is located from the drop-down menu on the RIGHT (Mine is drive E: )

>>Once it has finished "Analyzing", drag "Title 1" from the "Main Movie" section on the RIGHT to the "Re-authored DVD" section on the LEFT
    and it will rename itself "Title 1 (2)"

>>Click "Backup"

>>Select the "target device" (Your DVD R/W drive) and the "folder for temporary files" (Mine is set to C:\VIDEO_TS) and click "OK"

>>DVD Shrink will automatically decrypt Side B, and directly burn both titles to a blank disk via the Nero plug-in
    (So have a blank disk in your DVD R/W drive)

>>Congratulations, you're done! To troubleshoot, see the additional information below...

Additional Information:

>>DVD Shrink should encode the film and burn directly to a blank DVD disk via the Nero plug-in.
    If it does not burn directly to disk, make sure it has been set up properly in DVD Shrink.
    (Otherwise, you may burn the DVD with another burning software)

>>To check, go to "Edit>Preferences>File I/O" and make sure "Enable burning with Nero" has been checked

>>One last note: You might want to lower the size of the DVD to a smaller setting to avoid errors towards the end of the disk.
    It has been my experience that disks burned to the maximum capacity (4464 MB) tend to have errors towards the end.

>>To do so, click "Edit>Preferences" and change the "Target DVD Size" to "Custom" and make it "4401 MB" to be safe

Quote Quote  
  2. nice guide but its old news and you don't need nero just dvd decrypter and dvd shrink........
    How Big A Boy Are Ya?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right, you could burn with DVD Decrypter, but with the Nero plugin on DVD Shrink, it will burn automatically.
    Quote Quote  
  4. This may be old news to you ghoster, but it was new news to me as a guide to do this using the new shrink always crashes when doing this via iso's but this guide showed me another option on how to do it
    so thanks for that guide gr8gj

Im still having troubles with dvdshrink crashing at the change over of sides during encoding anyone also have this trouble how do i fix it??
    Im trying to do kevin costners robin hood
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I thought it was just me who thought his "old news" comment was a little off. Just trying to help out

I have Robin Hood, so I'll give it a go and see if it crashes on me. I'll let you know...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, onlinejames. My version of Robin Hood worked fine. Did you use the steps posted above? I followed them to the letter and it seems to work. Possibly a bad read on one side?? Maybe rent a copy a give it a go.
    Quote Quote