VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Has anyone bought one of these or seen any reviews on it? Looks interesting.. Thanks, Gerry
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've tried the DR-MV1 which was there combo unit. I believe this might be similar minus the VCR deck. Lordsmurf says that he just ordered one DR-M10SL so you might see some feedback from him.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by tommyoz
    I've tried the DR-MV1 which was there combo unit. I believe this might be similar minus the VCR deck. Lordsmurf says that he just ordered one DR-M10SL so you might see some feedback from him.
    Ah, good old Lordsmurf (wish I had his time and resources )! But this is good to have his inputs on all the new hardware and use him as a test bench so to speak . Gerry
    ps: Hi Lordsmurf..
    Quote Quote  
  4. Lordsmurf, I saw in another thread that you ordered one of these? Looks promising but I wish it was a +R/+RW recorder . I like the 5001 but it is limited in a lot of ways and I am looking around for something with more inputs on the back (at least two A/Vs) and Variable bitrate recording for those 2hr-2.5hr recordings.. My idea (that my wife doesn't know about of course ) is to use the 5001 strictly for tape xfer and a different one in my home entertainment center that can accept inputs from either of my Sat receivers and also cable.. Gerry
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is supposed to be coming today. 2:30 CST, and still nothing yet.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Lordsmurf,
    Whenever you have a chance, tell us results of your clinical trials with JVC DR-M10.
    Hundreds of thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Neuron
    Lordsmurf,
    Whenever you have a chance, tell us results of your clinical trials with JVC DR-M10.
    Hundreds of thanks in advance!
    Lordsmurf, would you do me a favor? When you get the JVC would you see if it will play a +R disc that was made and finalized on a 5001? I asked TJDmobile to do the same thing on the Pioneer 220S also. I am not quite understanding why these recorders won't PLAY +R discs (at least my dads Panasonic will not).. Thanks, Gerry
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ggw2000
    When you get the JVC would you see if it will play a +R disc........
    Boy, it had better! From the 1/9/2004 JVC press release:

The DR-M10S DVD recorder shares all of its features with the two combo models. In addition to recording in the DVD-RAM and DVD-R/RW formats, it offers true multi-format compatibility on playback, with the ability to play the DVD-RAM, DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW formats, as well as CD, VCD, SVCD, JPEG and MP3 files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This machine is better than sex!
    Okay, maybe a bit much, but you get the idea.
    This is the machine I've always wanted.

I'm running a bunch of test requests I've gotten and my own.

So far, in DVD-RW DVD-Video mode, this machine is as perfect in quality as the DR-MV1 combo, but without the VHS part taking up room.

The ONLY "flaw" I've noticed is that, much like my alarm clock, the bottom front right side of the unit emits a low magnetic field, so setting it directly on top of a tv set will discolor your picture (screws with the tv tubes). I put it there for testing in another room. Solution: don't put it on the tv directly, and don't use valuable floppy discs as a stand to hold it up!

I've not tested yet to see if DVD-RAM VRO mode is 480x480 like the DR-MV1. That was pointless, but since I find VRO mode pointless altogether, that will never really bother me. This thing loves my old 1x PVC, old Memorex 1x RITEK and new 2x TDK DVD-RW media. No problems so far.

The quality is easily as good as the Apex, easily better than the LiteOn. JVC has utilized the LSI chips to their peak performance, and these JVC MPEG pre-processors inside do quite well. Like other units, this one can get warm, but the fan keep the case almost fully cool. The only place I feel heat is on top of the DVD-RW/RAM drive itself.

This is a nice slim unit, very attractive. That's not something I look for in my equipment, but I do take notice. The remote on this JVC is self-explanatory much like the LiteOn is. It is not a major cluster-f like the combo unit.

I don't have any +R discs (quit using them, none of them as good as the -R media I now use), and I never finalize media in a DVD+RW recorder (can make IFO errors). An unfinished DVD+RW from the LiteOn is fine in the JVC. I have +R media from conversion projects I've done, and several played just fine in here.

I've got a lot of work to do this weekend, so I'll run tests in between really using the unit.

Crutchfield gave me some $20 coupons to give to new customers too. So if anybody is wanting to order this for $379.00 shipped 3-day, PM me for the coupon code.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Lordsmurf - another happy customer

Quick question - my Panny has the fan too on the back but it appears to be thermostatically controlled. Is the JVC like that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Capmaster
    Lordsmurf - another happy customer

Quick question - my Panny has the fan too on the back but it appears to be thermostatically controlled. Is the JVC like that?
    The JVC fan is always on while the unit is "on" (not clock mode turned "off"). When you shut the unit off, a temp therm kicks in, and the fan does not shut off until the temp drops to a cooler level. The fan is SO SO quiet too. I installed a quiet fan in my LiteOn (custom job) and it's even louder than the JVC! It blows warm air out, and the intake slits on the side suck in (kleenex proved that).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lordsmurf,

Can you test if it records VBR. I tested Pioneer 220S from Wall Mart for the last two days (it went back to Wall Mart), and now I am testing Pioneer 210S with iLink from Costco (goes back to Costco tomorrow). Both units record pure CBR in all four preset and other 32 step modes. The only time 220S recorded true VBR was in Timer mode with AUTO recording mode.

I am also PMing you for coupon code.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kabanero
    lordsmurf,

Can you test if it records VBR. I tested Pioneer 220S from Wall Mart for the last two days (it went back to Wall Mart), and now I am testing Pioneer 210S with iLink from Costco (goes back to Costco tomorrow). Both units record pure CBR in all four preset and other 32 step modes. The only time 220S recorded true VBR was in Timer mode with AUTO recording mode.

I am also PMing you for coupon code.
    It's VBR, without a doubt. It has a 2.5 avg with a 4.4 max in 4-hour mode. Confirmed this both visibly (after years of video, you can just tell) and also with PC software.

FR mode is time-set VBR, quite nice to have. I have not tested every single time mark yet, but they're surely the same.

This unit comes preset with quite a few modes, and the FR for whatever suits your fancy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    It's VBR, without a doubt. It has a 2.5 avg with a 4.4 max in 4-hour mode. Confirmed this both visibly (after years of video, you can just tell) and also with PC software.
    lordsmurf,

To make sure it is VBR, you need to rip your recorded disk to PC and open those VOB files in Bitrate Viewer and look at the yellow line in the graph.

See my post in the thread about Pioneer 220S :

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=922116#922116
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've already done that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lordsmurf,

Can you test to see if you can record from PC directly to JVC via FireWire, like with Pioneer recorders?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Lordsmurf: Is the TBC in the M10 as good as the one in the 9911 S-VHS VCR ? Is there still an advantage to using the 9911 for playing back an old VHS EP tape to the M10 ?

480x480 is what most DirecTV and Echostar video streams are encoded at -- with a bitrate close to 2 mbps. Most channels are also coded with a Harmonic box with two chips derived from the same LSI family that the 8600 belongs to (each chip essentially executes one "pass" with a latency between 1.5 to 2 seconds) .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kabanero
    lordsmurf, Can you test to see if you can record from PC directly to JVC via FireWire, like with Pioneer recorders? Thanks.
    No. That's not something I'm able to test out. Sorry. It does have the JVC connections, which I think are for RS232 transmissions (never used it for anything). There's a few small things on this recorder I'll never use.

Originally Posted by CEF
    Lordsmurf: Is the TBC in the M10 as good as the one in the 9911 S-VHS VCR ? Is there still an advantage to using the 9911 for playing back an old VHS EP tape to the M10 ?
    There is no evidence of a TBC in the M series DVD recorders beyond a brief mention in some pamphlets from JVC. Nothing is in the manual or on the machine. If one exists, it is an always-on circuit on the motherboard, which I doubt is there. I see nothing beyond pre-processor chips that are found on many LSI boards. If you want the best possible combo setup, then the recorder mixed with a good VCR is what needs to be done (JVC 9000 series or whatever). I use a 3800 for SVHS tapes made on the 3800, and then the 9800 one all other tapes, fed directly into the JVC recorder. The recorder does improvements with pre-processing from the 3800/9800 signals, so the already-VCR-improved signal gets more cleaning for an nearly flawless DVD that can rival what you'd see in stores.

Originally Posted by CEF
    480x480 is what most DirecTV and Echostar video streams are encoded at -- with a bitrate close to 2 mbps. Most channels are also coded with a Harmonic box with two chips derived from the same LSI family that the 8600 belongs to (each chip essentially executes one "pass" with a latency between 1.5 to 2 seconds) .
    There is no evidence the streams exist at that resolution (just TIVO dumps) and I'm not sure what type of encoders are used there. The DiMeNsion chipset (DMN-8600 series) was only made for DVD recorders as I understood it. But yes, LSI is a name apparently used in high end equipment (according to BJ_M).
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lordsmurf:

I'm very interested in the DR-M10SL, but it would have to replace my current HT DVD player due to space limitations.
    Currently using a Denon DVD-1600 which is known for its excellent progressive scan output and watching my movies on a 57" Sony RP Widescreen HD set.

1. Can you or anyone else give me some comments about the progressive picture quality on Hollywood movies using the DR-M10SL or the combo unit, and if so what size and type of TV set were you using to evaluate it?

2. Does does the DR-M10SL feature flex recording? (2hrs 10min, 3.5hrs, etc).

3. When using the MP3 feature do you get a graphical folder representation "on screen" of the MP3 files on a DVD or CD?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it has FR more (flex recording). Just set your size and hit record.

Both the JVC and LiteOn units I have found to be excellent players, playing PAL discs that even my Cyberhome and Apex drives would puke out. I've had a certain show on discs for months, and only now have I been able to watch it! Very happy.

Anyway, it's under 25" tv set and the picture quality is great, though not as perfect as my Toshiba 2800 (gotta love those image and audio filters). The JVC does have some nice audio output filters and options.

Both the JVC and LiteOn are some of the most accurate images I've seen to date, playing both PAL and NTSC pretty much flawlessly. The JVC is especially good at maintaining perfect color saturation (both playing and recording).
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lord Smurf:

1. Does the DR-M10SL (or any DVD recorder) have any facility to crop the recorded size of the capture? (Like you can do with an ATI AIW)

I have some older VHS tapes that have a rather large overscan area at the bottom of the screen. (I know that TV sets have built in overscan of 5% or more)

2. Have you tried any DVD or CD MP3 playback? Do you get an on screen folder type representation of MP3 files on the disc?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I put in a DVD-MP3 disc. It plays, but screensaver on tv, no display.

No recorder crops out video. In fact, most cards and capture software does either. ATI is rare for that.

Somebody asked what the menu looked like on a DVD recorded on here. Here's one: (remember, I never label, I use PC to edit and burn final disc)

Oddity: It makes chapters and a menu, but the JVC will not allow you to jump to them or show a menu. Weird. This is a DVD-RW, maye be why. Not tried a -R yet, my first will be on a small quickie project tonight.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lordsmurf:

Thanks for the responses.
    I now have been fully bitten by the DVD recorder bug. I'm going to order a DR-M10SL from Crutchfield, sent you a PM requesting a $20 new customer coupon if you still have any.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    ..... There is no evidence of a TBC in the M series DVD recorders beyond a brief mention in some pamphlets from JVC. Nothing is in the manual or on the machine. If one exists, it is an always-on circuit on the motherboard, which I doubt is there. I see nothing beyond pre-processor chips that are found on many LSI boards. .....
    An architecture of JVC's M series "Super MPEG Encode Pre-Processor" includes Time Base Corrector, Frame Synchronizer and Motion Active Noise Reduction. TBC is just one of the chipset's software interface module. It is just an integrated functional piece.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lordsmurf:

What -RW media do you reccomend?
    I bought some Maxell -R's based on your sites info and my Liteon 812 PC drive seems to love them, hopefully the JVC does as well. Don't see as many recomendations for -RW.

I would like something I can get locally so I can return if needed, preferably 4X so I can use on the computer at Max speed if I want to.

My DR-M10SL is supposed to be here Friday, can't wait.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  26. My JVC DR-M10SL was delivered today at 2:30pm ..... 8)
    Will test it tonight and make a 4 hours mode PQ comparison between this unit and Panny DMR-E60
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using new 2x TDK DVD-RW, my old 2001 Pioneer DVD-RW, and my old 2001 Memorex RITEKW DVD-RW media.

I would suggest TDK for new RW users.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Neuron
    My JVC DR-M10SL was delivered today at 2:30pm ..... 8)
    Will test it tonight and make a 4 hours mode PQ comparison between this unit and Panny DMR-E60
    Maybe get the wife/girlfriend/friend/dog to switch the discs for you, as an amateur blind test.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I just wanted to comment on the firewire capabilities of the unit. You can connect this unit to a PC and sending video from the PC (avi, mpeg, etc...)into the JVC unit and the computer will control the JVC for recording.

You can not send video from this unit into your PC. The DV connection is strictly an input even though the computer does control the JVC for play, ff, rew, stop, etc...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JCWBobC
    I just wanted to comment on the firewire capabilities of the unit. You can connect this unit to a PC and sending video from the PC (avi, mpeg, etc...)into the JVC unit and the computer will control the JVC for recording.
    That's great. I ordered mine yesterday. Should get it on Friday, hopefully.

Originally Posted by JCWBobC
    You can not send video from this unit into your PC. The DV connection is strictly an input even though the computer does control the JVC for play, ff, rew, stop, etc...
    That's not a big deal. I did this with Pioneer 210S and Vegas 5 on my PC and i got AVI file. But why would you want to capture your DVD (MPEG-2) to PC as AVI file. I don't see the use of this feature. You can always rip your DVD disk with DVD Decrypter in IFO mode to get MPEG-2 file on your hard drive.
    Quote Quote