VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by broadway
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Since DVD-RW as DVD-Video (as opposed to VRO) does not have that issue, I use it at proper 352x480 res.
    Can you explain what you mean by "use"? Are you saying you changed a setting? I don't see myself using 4hr mode very much but I may use it occassionally.
    Use, as in I use DVD-Video mode on a DVD-RW. You have two modes: VR or DVD-Video modes. VRO mode uses 480x480, so I use DVD-Video mode. I changed nothing. When you put in a blank DVD-RW, you can choose mode. DVD-R is DVD-Video mode only. DVD-RAM is VRO mode only (don't like RAM anyway). Only 3-4 hour range is affected. Putting it at 4:08 VRO in FR mode will alter to 352x480, so I do that too when I have only RAM blanks at the moment.

Originally Posted by Lucien
    By the way I looked at the JVC and noticed it has not zoom control. No one annoyed by that? My cheapo JVC player can do that and it's a good way to check recording quality.
    Why? This makes no sense. If it looks good at normal size, then who cares what it looks like at 15x size? You watch it at 1x, not 15x.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Why? This makes no sense. If it looks good at normal size, then who cares what it looks like at 15x size? You watch it at 1x, not 15x.
    In my case I'd have the DVD recorder connected to my 19" tv (bedroom). So I'd like to be sure it will look same on my future 50" plasma screen (when they affordable ). Also same reason why you can zoom pictures in photoshop (i.e. it's easier to judge quality).
    Also - even to I don't use it much - many JVC's do have 1.2x zoom for anamorphic movies (which are close 1:9 aspect ratio). This removes black bars more (at expense losing sides). Well everyone has different needs...

Regarding the IRE 0 setup it's purely for camcorder input. I'd expect that JVC does convert this to +7.5 properly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kabanero
    Originally Posted by Offroad
    Can't get Satellite Auto recording to work on my Dish 811, the R-LK indicator just flashes.
    I get the same with my Dish 4900 when I try to set up Sat Auto Recording.
    Here is the response I got back from Dish Technical support:
    "The 811 does not out put a signal when it is off unless it is taking a software download."

The JVC manual says otherwise with the error I'm getting but I guess I'll have to take Dish Networks word until I can prove different.

I'm still stumped as to why Auto Satellite recording doesn't work on either my 811 or your 4900. Let me know if you come up with something and I'll do the same. Perhaps someone else can test this and educate us?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Satellites boxes are never "off" ... just the video signal can be turned off/on. As long as it is plugged into the wall, it is turned on.

Just leave it "on" all the time. It's on anyway, may as well have it output a signal too.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lordsmurf:

You indicated that the DR-M10SL emits RF noise or interference.

I currently have mine sitting on top of my JVC SVHS HR-S7600U, both would be used at the same time when I am capturing a VHS home movie to DVD.

Could the DR-M10SL emit noise that degrades or interferes with the signal that the HR-S7600 is sending to it?

Should they be placed some distance apart for best results and if so how far?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Satellites boxes are never "off" ... just the video signal can be turned off/on. As long as it is plugged into the wall, it is turned on.

Just leave it "on" all the time. It's on anyway, may as well have it output a signal too.
    According to the JVC manual the idea with "Auto Satellite" Recording is to set up the Satellite receiver to tune to the desired channel with an internal event and then turn it off. The DR-M10SL when in this mode is supposed to see the signal turn on from the outputs of the Sat Receiver and start recording.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lordsmurf:

You indicated that the DR-M10SL emits RF noise or interference.

I currently have mine sitting on top of my JVC SVHS HR-S7600U, both would be used at the same time when I am capturing a VHS home movie to DVD.

Could the DR-M10SL emit noise that degrades or interferes with the signal that the HR-S7600 is sending to it?

Should they be placed some distance apart for best results and if so how far?

Thanks.
    I saw magnetic interference underneath the lower right front side of my unit. I have it on bottom on a wood desk, and my JVC 9800 on top of it. It wasn't RF or anything else. Magnetic pull. I was afraid it would ruin tv tubes sitting directly on a tv, or ruin magnetic VHS/SVHS tapes sitting on a VCR. Swap them.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was afraid it would ruin tv tubes sitting directly on a tv, or ruin magnetic VHS/SVHS tapes sitting on a VCR. Swap them.
    Thanks for the tip. I wondered about putting the 7600 on top since it has vents in its top, but didn't know if it would be too much weight for the DR-M10. If your 9800's not hurting it then mine shouldn't either.

My Dish receiver only has one S-Video output that I am currently running to my Sony TV, I would also like to run S-Video to the DVD Recorder. Can a splitter be used for this? The only ones I have seen look very cheap. The cable to the Sony is 12' and the one going to the DVD recorder would only be about 3'.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would not split it. Make up your mind which one gets s-video, and which one gets composite.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lordsmurf,

How were you and others able to know that 4hr VR was 480x480?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would not split it. Make up your mind which one gets s-video, and which one gets composite.
    Lordsmurf:

PartsExpress sells a Composite to S-Video converter.
    If I bought one of these I could plug it in to a composite out then plug my S-Video cable to the TV into it. This would leave the S-Video out on the Sat Receiver free for a new S-Video cable to the DVD Recorder.

I know my connection to the TV won't be as good as an S-Video but would it at least be as good as composite? I don't mind downgrading this connection as I also have a DVI for HD from the Sat Receiver to the TV. The receiver doesn't upscale as good as the TV so for Std Def TV I've been using the S-Video instead of DVI.

Do you think the converter would work ok?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-140

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think you need another box. That way you use one for TV and one to record from.

Solves your input problem plus you can record one thing and watch another.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lordsmurf,
    Easy. Software.

A converter won't do anything special. I'm afraid I lost you on where you want to plug what. Hint: My head starts to spin on connection wire discussions. I must always draw myself pictures to understand. The separated video output is superior to composite in every way (in theory, source does not always make this true). Converting composite to s-video is too late, as the signal loss already happened. A converter like that is only good when s-video is the ONLY possible connection.

That said, the DataVideo TBC-1000 has one input and 4 outputs. That has come in handy many times. I have all of my equipment inter-connected because of this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lordsmurf,
    Easy. Software.
    Mr. Lord,

Could you advise whtat software, please.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Well thanks to LordSmurf's input my new JVC DR-M10 arrived today.
    I'm using it as we speak and so far it's working great.
    Just listed a slightly used Panny DMR-E30 on Ebay that I no longer need!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was playing around with an old 2002 version of Womble MPEG2VCR and I have to admit that the program works rather well.

I used it to edit some MPEG-2 files that had muxed MP2 audio.

Very easy to use and make your edits. Nice clean edit points too. Doesn't take long at all to output (since it does not re-encode).

Only problem is this old version I dug up doesn't cut AC-3 audio as far as I can tell.

However if I ever start using a stand alone DVD recorder I will definately have to buy the newest version since I would want to import to the computer to edit and make a custom menu etc.

For now I'm happy capturing especially since most of what I'm doing is VHS and LD stuff which can benefit greatly from being cleaned up with various video noise filters through AviSynth.

I guess my point is I was rather impressed by MPEG2VCR and highly suggest it for MPEG editing.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For this JVC, I highly ... highly .. highly ... suggest the 4/2004 build of MPEG-VCR
    Quote Quote  
  18. Well I used the new JVC to make a few back-up copies of some dvd's I had sitting around the house just to see how it would perform.
    Well it does a really great job and I was hard pressed to tell the difference between the two.
    I'm doing a little vhs to dvd-r transfer right now to see what it looks like.
    So far so good!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure my DR-M10SL is cooling itself correctly. When its on the fan turns on and it seems to keep itself fairly cool, but when its been off (standby) overnight the left rear corner of the unit gets pretty warm

This is the area where the fan is and its a pretty large area.
    Can I get some comments on what others are experiencing?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Well I just turned mine off so I will check it later to see if it's warm or not.
    I just got done copying some vhs to dvd-r and I think it looks pretty damn good.
    Much better then what my Panasonic could do.
    I've thrown Verbatim,Fuji and Taiyo Yuden's at it and it handled all of them.
    They also played back flawlessly on a $50.00 Koss dvd player.
    I think I've finally found the machine that will finally help me get all of that vhs to dvd-r stuff finally transfered
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure my DR-M10SL is cooling itself correctly. When its on the fan turns on and it seems to keep itself fairly cool, but when its been off (standby) overnight the left rear corner of the unit gets pretty warm

This is the area where the fan is and its a pretty large area.
    Can I get some comments on what others are experiencing?

Thanks.
    Offroad,

The same thing with my unit. I keep RAM disk for On-Disk timer recording inside all the time. When it records it is cool. When it is in standby mode it is warm (probably fan is off). When no disk inside, it goes to sleep (display turns off) and it is cool.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've got the Panny E50S ... I do use DVD-RAM disks. Especially when I want to snip out the commercials with Womble mpeg-vcr.

So ... what resolution will I see if I get the DR-M10SL ... will it look normal.

With the Panny E50S ... a VRO video on a DVD-RAM is 704x480 ... length of movie is 1 HR 44 MIN.

Sounds like what you've said is ... it will be alot different compared to the Panny VROs I've made.

By the way if someone has the time ... I have a question about laptops ...
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=936333
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AV/Coax - RF Out Question on the DR-M10.

I used to have a Mits VCR in my HT cabinet in the living room. I had a coax running from the RF output, to my TV in the bedroom. My Dish 811 DBS has no Coax RF out, but I had a composite hooked to the Mits L1 input.

On the Mits, I could select L1 as my input and press the VCR button. The RF output of the Mits would send the signal from my Satelite receiver to the bedroom. Since my Dish 811 has an RF remote I could then control the Channel of the DBS receiver from the bedroom.

Can't seem to get this to work on the DR-M10. I have the Dish receiver hooked to L1 on the DRM10 but it doesn't seem to want to output this signal via the Coax RF out. I'v tried pressing the VCR/TV button on the JVC remote but this doesn't seem to do anything at least not while the JVC tuner is pointed to L1.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Recording D-Day stuff on the JVC this weekend on the Hist Chanell and again I must say I am very impressed with LP mode on this box.
    Quote Quote  
  24. ... for Lacywest from an earlier post on this thread

For any who are interested, Recording Modes are as follows on the DR-M10SL. These are all with a Video Mode format -RW.

XP - 720x480 8.82mbs CBR, AC3-384kbs

SP - 720x480 8.76mbs VBR, AC3-256kbs

LP - 352x480 4.14mbs VBR, AC3-256kbs

EP - 352x240 2.58mbs VBR, AC3-256kbs
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gshelley61
    ... for Lacywest from an earlier post on this thread

For any who are interested, Recording Modes are as follows on the DR-M10SL. These are all with a Video Mode format -RW.

These are MAX bitrates, not the average. SP is about 5.5 avg, LP is about 2.5 avg ... use a bitrate viewer to see for yourself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gshelley61
    ... for Lacywest from an earlier post on this thread

Now if I use the VRO mode - FR mode with the JVC ... will it be 720x480 up to 2 Hours.

and ... 352x480 beyond 2 hours.

Has anybody checked this ??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lacywest

Now if I use the VRO mode - FR mode with the JVC ... will it be 720x480 up to 2 Hours.

It varies ... IN VR MODE ONLY ... It's 720x480 up to about 2½-3 hours (never checked for break point). Then it's 480x480 until 4:03 (LP mode), then 352x480 at 4:08 and beyond ... don't care past that, quality degrades fast at low levels. Gonna play with it more, but don't really care, not that cheap with discs.

DVD-Video mode is different, no 480x480.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lacywest

It varies ... IN VR MODE ONLY ... It's 720x480 up to about 2½-3 hours (never checked for break point). Then it's 480x480 until 4:03 (LP mode), then 352x480 at 4:08 and beyond ... don't care past that, quality degrades fast at low levels. Gonna play with it more, but don't really care, not that cheap with discs.

DVD-Video mode is different, no 480x480.
    Thank you for answering so quickly.

It's not about being cheap with discs ... it's easier [and looks nicer] to trim the commercials out of VRO video with Womble mpeg-vcr than trying to do this in DVD vob files with ... TMPGEnc DVD Author.

At the place I work at we sometimes will want to show a movie dealing with AIDS or Alcohol/Drug addiction. The movie GIA ... has all of this but ... it is inappropriate to show to certain clients because of the extreme frontal nudity.

So I have to trim the nude scenes out in a elegant manner. Vegas Video 4 can help because I can join to segments and overlap them and the clients will not know ... the nude scenes have been removed.

Plus the DVD version movie ... GIA ... is shown with Spanish Language and Spanish subtitles ... so it is a great learning tool for the Spanish/Mexican community in our area of Fresno, California.

I hope this all makes sense ... :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I meant cheap when trying to stuff 4-8 hours on a disc, wasn't addressing your question, just a side rant, not aimed at you at all.

Anyway, I find VRO files harder to manage than VOB files. I find ripping the IFO with DVD Decrypter in IFO mode to be best and fastest (yes, even faster than copying files in Windows). It'll grab the full movies, not gonna grab the 1GB VOBs, remerges to long VOB. This is what I import into Womble. If you edit direct off the RAM disc, nevermind (I find smoother experience by simply using HD and extra step copying from disc to drive).

For content between 3-4 hours, go DVD-Video on a DVD-RW and not VR. Of course, VR does make for a nice quick SVCD creator! For that, I actually appreciate the option, just wish I could choose res on my own.
    Quote Quote