VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is my first post. I have read through this site for a couple hours, and can't find a simple answer to my simple question. So, I'll ask all of you.

I want to rip certain scenes from DVDs and convert them into mpeg/avi or similar format that can be viewed on pc. I want these scenes to be from 1-10 minutes in length (Not the entire movie). I want them to be high quality, i.e., 720x480 or better, and with DVD clarity. They will need high quality audio also.

Size is not an issue, but cost is. I would like to do this with as little out of pocket expense as possible.

I have tried at least ten different program on the suggestion of many people, but none give me the quality I want. I have also seen alot of horizontal lines in the clips when converted (interlacing?).

So, that is my first post. I hope it fits the format. I also hope for a quick response from the MVPs or those with experiance doing this.

Much love!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VirtualDubMOD

Used by itself for AVI
    Used as a frameserver to TMPGEnc for mpeg1/2
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi zeretul1,

I don't know if you've tried this already (would be useful if you listed the 10 that you've tried), but DVD2AVI springs to mind.

Good luck.
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If size isn't an issue than rip the entire DVD to your hard drive to one big VOB with DVD Decrypter and edit down the VOB to your liking with Womble MPEG VCR. Womble won't re-encode the video. No re-encoding = zero loss in quality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried DVD2AVI, and not only could I not get the audio to work, the video had the horizontal lines I discussed.

I tried the VirtualDubMOD with the same problem.

I used the DVD Decrypter, but instead of one big .vob file, I got 25. When I tried to use the Womble MPEG VCR program, it would not let me start without a PSN.

As I said, I am a newbie, and really want to learn how to do this. All help is appreciated.

Much love!
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you ended up with 25 vobs, might we ask what operating system you are on, and a few specs on your computer?
    If DVD2AVI crapped out on audio, check for an update to besweet. I know there's a few versions that did have trouble when coupled with avisynth.
    Maybe try using the deinterlace filter in Virtualdub-mod (hint hint).
    Womble has a fully functional 30 day demo. What's the problem with yours?
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am running XP home on a home built pc. My cpu is athlon 2100+, memory is pc333 512mb, and vid card is nvidea geforce 4 ti4200 64mb. I also have 16x dvd-rom and 8x/4x dvd burner, both msi.

I will try and update DVD2AVI, and will try the interlace filter on the Virtuadub program.

As for the Womble program, I installed it and opened it, and the first screen I got was asking for the PSN. I have never used this program before.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In DVD Decrypter go to Tools>Settings>File Mode>File Splitting = none.

For Womble go to file>open mpeg movie.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. I set the DVD Decrypter to make one vob file, but I am still getting nowhere with the Womble program. This is all I get...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Are you sure Womble didn't email you a PSN? That's how I got mine on their 30 day trial. Look for something from support@womble.com. make sure your spam blocker didn't get it, maybe.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    um.... how would they send me an e-mail without my e-mail address. I downloaded the program from their download section, no e-mail address required.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I got the Virtuadub prog to de-interlace(thanks for the hint), but I get no audio? When I rip from DVD with DVD Decrypter, I still get 23 files, but the main file has the main movie. The audio is encoded in that file, right? In Virtuadub, the only stream shown is "Input MPEG file" ,

so where is the audio?

Much love!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is that you downloaded the update and not the free trial. You need to use this page.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zeretul1

so where is the audio?
    Mux'd AC3.
    "There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon." -- Raoul Duke
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are no AC3 files.

I have tried using the Mpg-vcr program, and am still getting interlacing.

Are there any how-to pages for using these programs?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.videohelp.com/faq#demultiplex

Me personally I'd just use DVDDecrypter to demux the AC3 stream. Another way would be VOBEdit.
    "There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon." -- Raoul Duke
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Like I said, I'm a newbie, and I don't know how to demux the AC3 stream.
    This is why I need the help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If DVD Decrypter generated VOB files for you, then you have video and audio in the files.

Within VirtualDUB, go to the menu and select File --> File Information. You can confirm what the video and audio (if any) in the file are.

If VirtualDUB tells you there is no audio, then there is none. You will have to go back to the DVDDecrypter step to find out why you have no audio (perhaps you use stream processing and removed audio?).
    The more I learn, the more I come to realize how little it is I know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In DVDDecrypter...use IFO mode, then enable stream processing, make sure your audio stream is checked and select demux. Then just tell DVDDecrypter where to save the files.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    None of these things are working. I need a step-by-step, or more clear explainations of how to use these programs. I'm getting video with no sound, video with interlacing, files that won't open, etc....

I need help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you even have an AC3 Filter installed?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, now. How will this help me?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well according to the Virtualdubmod screen cap your vob has ac3 audio. Hopefully with the ac3 codec you should be able to hear the sound when playing back. Did you ever download the trial version of Womble afterall?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I got the Womble prog, but I have the same problems with that one as well.

Look, I am a COMPLETE NEWBIE, i.e., I don't understand the termanology, protocols, slang or program specs. I need a how-to guide or walkthrough to make these clips.

All I know is that I've seen clips that were 1-5min in length, 720x480 or better, DVD quality video and sound, and no interlacing. Their size was from 20mb to 80mb.

That is what I want to do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I got the Womble prog, but I have the same problems with that one as well.
    What does that mean? It's still asking you for a serial number? I understand you're new to this and you need guidance. You don't need to keep reminding me, as I am already trying to be patient. Please do the same.

If the Womble program is able to open then use this guide to learn to make your cuts.

Have you tried playing the vob since you installed the ac3 filter? Can you hear sound now?

All I know is that I've seen clips that were 1-5min in length, 720x480 or better, DVD quality video and sound, and no interlacing. Their size was from 20mb to 80mb.
    The only way this is possible is if you re-encode to mpeg-4 such as DivX or XviD. That's a completely different ball of wax there. Let's just try and cut your vob for now. We'll cross the next bridge when you get to it. Agreed?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Agreed.

I can use the Womble prog now, but I am still getting the interlacing, no sound, and un-openable files. I have figured out how to cut the section I want in the Womble prog, but not sure in Virtuadubmod. I never had a problem hearing sound in mpg2vcr, just the end file.

I'm not the most patient person, especially when I know there is something I can't do. But, I'll try to be patient.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can use the Womble prog now, but I am still getting the interlacing, no sound, and un-openable files.
    Are you able to open the file in Womble or not? How can you get sound if you can't open it? Do you mean you are not able to play them in your media player? Tell you what, try playing them with Media Player Classic. It has a built in mpeg-2 and ac3 decoder. Don't worry about interlacing for now. You'll deal with that when you convert to mpeg-4.

I have figured out how to cut the section I want in the Womble prog, but not sure in Virtuadubmod. I never had a problem hearing sound in mpg2vcr, just the end file.
    Again, what does "end file" mean? Do you mean the edited mpeg that Womble outputs? Try using the MPC program I suggested for playback. Windows Media Player is a lousy mpeg-2 player. You shouldn't need to use Virtualdubmod now just yet so don't worry about that one.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. I can open a file in Womble, and am able to cut the section I want out and isolate it.

I have been able to make the editted file from Womble, and tose are the end files I was refering to.

I use RealOne Player for almost all my video playback, except Divx stuff.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Don't.

Try Mediaplayer Classic instead.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sacajaweeda

Don't.

Try Mediaplayer Classic instead.
    Oh come on now, Sac! There's nothing wrong with Realone if you like spyware and stealing all of your media file's associations. :P
    Quote Quote