VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Tarantino says film piracy "not 100% black and white"

The burgeoning illegal copying of movies worldwide is not a clear-cut issue, US director Quentin Tarantino said as he gleefully told an anti-piracy conference here that he himself was guilty of the practice.

"For me, it's not 100 percent black and white," Tarantino, this year's jury president at the Cannes film festival, told the conference on the eve of the event's opening.

The former video clerk turned superstar-filmmaker said that he had bought bootleg copies of old, hard-to-get films in New York to help recreate scenes in his blockbuster "Kill Bill", the second part of which is being released in many countries.

"I would be a liar to say across the board 'No piracy'," Tarantino said.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Can not blame him for that. If the studio's are not making the DVD's. Most people will buy a bootleg just to watch and they still will buy the real DVD when it's come's out.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think Quentin would change his mind if he realised that his misogynistic, unoriginal product is something that few people with a mind of their own really want to buy. Well, maybe. But honestly, piracy should be keeping the filmmakers honest. Having seen Troy last night, I honestly wish Hollywood would consider the possibility that the lowest-common-denominator filmmaking that seems to be policy there is costing far more than piracy ever will.
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why blame the product when you can blame those bastard 12 year old pirates on the internet. . . . . .

As part of that speech, QT also said that he was infavour of people downloading his films in countries where they are either banned, or cut to pieces by the censors, Jack and his MPAA buddies must have loved it. Vote Yes for piracy and No for censorship. The MPAA will be out of a job.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It wasn't until two years ago that one could buy the director's cut of RoboCop here. Given that it has been available on LaserDisc and later DVD-Video for at least five times that long in the USA, I think Valenti has some nerve insisting that control of what is released and what isn't be in his hands. Given what Fox/MGM did with said cut of the film on their DVD-Video, I won't be losing sleep over copying the Criterion disc to send to friends.
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM

Download Now

"Does it hurt?"
    "If you promise not to tell, I'll take you some place much more fun then the mooooveeeees!"
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by OneCardShort

Download Now
    Your link doesn't work
    Quote Quote  
  8. HOW DO I DOWNLOAD THE ROBOCOP AND BURN TO DVD?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??

*sarcasm*
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There was a rumor going around at the time Kill Bill Volume I was released that said QT himself was responsible for releasing the workprint on the net. Urban legend I'm sure, but a fun notion. Based on his comments at Cannes it's nice to know he hasn't completely sold his soul to the Hollywood execs.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by teegee420
    There was a rumor going around at the time Kill Bill Volume I was released that said QT himself was responsible for releasing the workprint on the net. Urban legend I'm sure, but a fun notion. Based on his comments at Cannes it's nice to know he hasn't completely sold his soul to the Hollywood execs.
    So does this mean I CAN download Kill Bill 2 with impunity ?

Buddha says that, while he may show you the way, only you can truly save yourself, proving once and for all that he's a lazy, fat bastard.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you plan on confessing?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by teegee420
    Do you plan on confessing?
    Heh heh heh, nothing to confess - yet Seen it in the cinema and didn't think it was worth a download. Still if he's giving it away . . . . . . .

Buddha says that, while he may show you the way, only you can truly save yourself, proving once and for all that he's a lazy, fat bastard.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TROY is going to make a lot of money -- but it is one lame film if you ask me ....
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nilfennasion
    his misogynistic, unoriginal product
    Care to elaborate?
    Fight spammers ghetto kung-fu style! Join the Unsolicited Commandos! or the Spam Vampires!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Honestly, if the studio system feared women any more than was presently the case, you'd never see them in film at all. Were this not the case, Joe Eszterhas would never have sold a script, and films like Mad Love would never have been green-lighted.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can see the case for calling Eszterhas misogynist (and I never saw Mad Love), but I really don't see a good case for saying that about Tarantino. The Bride is probably the most powerful female film heroine to come along since Alien's Ripley, she keeps her clothes on, and she's not eye candy for another male figure in the movie. I don't get your argument.

(and before this discussion goes further, I'm not asking you all this in a flamebait "Screw you, Aussie! Tarantino r00lz!" sort of way - I'm actually interested in what you're thinking.)
    Fight spammers ghetto kung-fu style! Join the Unsolicited Commandos! or the Spam Vampires!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Nilfennasion
    Screw you, Aussie! Tarantino r00lz!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Natural Born Killers and Reservoir Dogs scream to the viewer that they were dreamt up by Catholic school dropouts, for one thing. But honestly, every time the guy opens up his mouth about anything, I get the impression he's going to drop his pants and dare people to show him who's got the bigger knob.

Them's fighting words, supreme. You might as well call a Dwarf a Goblin to his face.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I liked Kill Bill, and I hate most movies that filter out of Crappywood.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Kudos to Tarentino for saying what he did about obtaining otherwise hard-to-find films along with his attitude towards censorship.

If it were not for bootlegs I woudn't have seen half of the films I've seen because said bootlegs have been of films that have never been released here in the USA or where once released but now out-of-print (and impossible to find) or only released here in cut censored versions etc.

I don't advocate bootlegs ala renting a major new DVD release and making a copy or bootlegging something that is easy to see be it via the rental store or purchasing it etc.

However there are times when the bootleg is the only choice.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote