VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Excellent DJRumpy!

Samsung DVD3600 would not reconize PAL type DVDs.
    After i edited them using your guide the played perfectly!

JVC HR-XVC26U would play PAL but they would not fill the full screen.
    After i edited them, they fit my screen prefect!

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by DJRumpy
    tchouli, if your exiting out of IFOEdit after you save, and you still do not see the updates, then make sure your IFO's are not read only. Other than that, try posting your question in the main forum to see if anyone else has experience with your problem.
    I had the same problem. I had three .IFO files in the VIDEO_TS directory. Each time I saved the file, I closed IfoEdit and opened it again to check the results. They didn't take. Finally, after many, many tries, I did the following. Please read all of the following before you start:

1. Backup ALL of your .IFO and .BUP files from the VIDEO_TS directory to another directory, just in case you screw up (like I did) and have to pull the files off the DVD again.

2. Copy the VIDEO_TS.IFO and VIDEO_TS.BUP to a temporary directory (not the directory from #1 above).

3. Use DJ's method to make the modifications to the .IFO file and save the .IFO and .BUP files.

4. Close IfoEdit and reopen it and open the VIDEO_TS.IFO file. The changes should have taken.

5. Move the VIDEO_TS.IFO and VIDEO_TS.BUP files back to the original directory, overwriting the old ones.

6. Close IfoEdit and reopen it again. This time, copy the next "set" of .IFO and .BUP files to the temporary directory. In my case, that was VTS_01_0.IFO and VTS_01_0BUP.

7. Repeat steps 3 through 6 using the next set of files until you have modified all of the .IFO files.

One other thing I did differently than DJ said was to save the modifications first, close IfoEdit, reopen it and the .IFO file I was just working on, AND THEN clicked the "Region free" button, then saved the files again. At the time of night that I was facing, I was getting a little frustrated and paranoid that the Region free option was causing my other changes not to be taken. (I know it was probably overkill.)

I'm sure this may seem a little over-anal, but it was pretty late last night and I was getting tired. But it worked.

I do have a little of the "jitter effect", so I'm going to try to figure out what this "long way" is that's been mentioned here. Can anyone point me to a method that worked that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    None of this should be necessary. Just save your changes. All of them will be saved to the original directory of the IFO files you opened. Just remember you have to close and re-open IFOEdit to see the updates. Simply opening the same files again without closing and re-opening will not show the current saves.
    Impossible to see the future is. The Dark Side clouds everything...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by DJRumpy
    None of this should be necessary. Just save your changes. All of them will be saved to the original directory of the IFO files you opened. Just remember you have to close and re-open IFOEdit to see the updates. Simply opening the same files again without closing and re-opening will not show the current saves.
    Been there, done all of that, got the T-shirt to prove it.

I did save the file and closed the program and restarted it and opened the supposedly changed files. They were still the old version, or IFOEdit had saved to the wrong file for some reason (and I did make sure I was saving to the correct file after the first few times this problem occurred). Therefore, I have listed the work-around that I had to use.

BTW, could you please let me know what this "long way" is that has been hinted to off and on here? I'd really like to get a jitter-free copy of the DVDs.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The long version is just a true converison of PAL to NTSC or vice versa. Just search the guides. You'll find a plethora of methods for doing such conversions. I would also suggest you send an e-mail to the author of IFOEdit and report your problem. You may have a buggy version or something of that nature.
    Impossible to see the future is. The Dark Side clouds everything...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    iunno my dvd player can decode PAL but im not sure about converting it back to ntsc check specs...

but when tryin to play it on my tv with dvp-642 movie is black white n constantly jerky makn it unwatchable but on diff tv same dvd player works like a charm except aspect ratio make peoples faces long and thin.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Seems like when I convert the files, I get warning errors in Nero. Odd
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a stand alone Sony dvp-ns775v and I use your method and it works 100% no jitters or jumpy picture. It's perfect this dvd player will play anything and play it perfect I throw everything in this thing and it plays perfect. Thanks i'd been looking for weeks trying to find a quick solution the other way would take forever.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also VSO makes a divx to dvd converter that will take the file and convert it to pal or ntsc from they original file so the output can be burnt the link is http://www.vso-software.fr/download.htm it's free
    Quote Quote  
  10. Tried method to convert from PAL to NTSC - after patching ALL lines with reference to an aspect ratio, clicked on NTSC [OK] then Region Free then SAVE and Yes to save the BUP file (files will be overwritten).
    Anytime I opened again in IfoEdit any of the such corrected IFO files, references were again to PAL and not to NTSC like no correcteion whatsoever was done. So I didn't dare to burn the "patched" disc.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Just do as I posted a little ways back. Someone said IFO Edit wasn't supposed to malfunction the way you suggested (and the way I experienced also), but it did. The process I described worked for me, but I still had the "jitters" in the finished product (when the original was jitter-free).
    Quote Quote  
  12. So, it didn't take Styler 001!
    In your guide step 4 "The changes should have taken" after closing and reopening the VIDEO_TS.IFO file, the change from PAL to NTSC did not take.
    What else can be done?
    Quote Quote  
  13. So I figured the problem out. No need to copy the IFO and BUP files to a Temp folder etc. This is my detailed guide:

1. Start IFOEdit
    2. Click on [OPEN] button (bottom left)
    3. From drop down window select the IFO file to be modified.
    4. Click on [OPEN} button. The IFO file appears in the upper pane and it's properties in the lower pane.
    5. Double click on the line in the lower pane containing the reference to the aspect ratio. In the drop down window (Video attributes) make your
    changes, then click on the [OK] button.

5a. Repeat this with all the lines containing references to the aspect ratio.

NOTE: The changes will not always immediately appear on the line in the lower pane, to verify, you can double click on the line again and check in the
    drop down window again.

6. Click on [Region Free] button, then the [OK] button. The lower pane will clear.
    7. In the upper pane there will be two identical lines with the same IFO file, the first line (this is the modified) and the other somewhere below among
    the other IFO files. Click on the FIRST LINE IFO, changed properties will appear in the lower pane.
    8. Click on the [SAVE] button (bottom left), make sure the file is saved by the correct name.
    9. Click on [SAVE] button in the drop down window.
    10. Answer [YES] to save the BUP file too.

11. Verify the proper change. Open that particular IFO file. Check for change.

REPEAT THIS PROCEDURE WITH ALL IFO FILES.

Apparently the confusion is in STEP 7, where there are two identical lines with theIFO file. Occasionally clicking on the FIRST line does not bring up it's propertiesin the lower pane (if you work too fast). If so, double click on the IFO line below (among other IFOs), then double click on the FIRST line again to bring about the modified properties in the lower pane.
    Save the file only when the modified properties are displayed in the lower pane.

So it works. But my problem is that the DVD player rejects the modified disc too (from PAL to NTSC) as "prohibit play due to regional code". Obviously Europe is 2 and the US is 1, but IFOEDIT (and DVD Decrypter as well) lists the new, modified disc as Region Free. It seems that the DVD player wants a Region 1 confirmation. So how can I change the Region code to a definite "1"?
    This is probably not the proper question to this thread, but people experienced with IFOEDit might have a suggestion. Thanks anyhow.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Is it possible that dvd players play both types NTSC & PAL ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Camille
    Is it possible that dvd players play both types NTSC & PAL ?
    Many do, many do not.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  16. Sony DVD players are notorious about playing only single Region code discs, that is my problem. They don't even accept a "Region Free" (ripped) disc. I try to find a way to change the Region code on the ripped disc to Code 1 and not to Region Free what, for example, DVD Decrypter does.
    Quote Quote  
  17. i just tried it out and worked great, (ntsc to pal)
    the only things i have to try it on are my pc and a playstation 2 (pal of course) and a crappy old telly,
    from what i can see so far its pretty much perfect, can't notice any real skipping or jumping,
    cheeers
    Quote Quote  
  18. While DVDShrink has a way: after clicking Backup, uncheck the Region Free and all other regions, leave only the region 1 checked and proceed. It didn't work for me!

To show how stubborn I am, I tried: Ripped the original 2 hour (opera) DVD with DVDDecrypter, changed ALL IFO files from PAL to NTSC with IFOEdit using the patch method, burned a disc with DVDDecrypter, didn't play. Then ripped this modified disc with a commercial program (Super DVD Ripper) to mpeg. Unfortunately, it separated into 3 files. Combined the 3 files into one with my video editor (Ulead VideoStudio 7) and converted to video (in VIDEO_TS file) by same. Since the finished recording was almost 7 GB, I used DVDShrink to compress. Burned with DVDDecrypter. The idea was that my DVD player played well all of my own camcorder recordings (mpegs converted to video). But it still did not play by my DVD player (region). It seems whatever I do, the original region designation copies through.
    So what is the code and where is in the files? How can it be successfully modified? Apparently DVDShrink is not successful either.
    By the way, if this isn't the proper forum to dicuss this problem, can someone refer me to a better one?
    Quote Quote  
  19. When I click save, I get the following error message:

There's something wrong!
    The IFO Endsector does not match the filesize.
    I followed the directions exactly.

How can I fix this?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  20. well i finally was able to get ifoedit to work partially. the initial issue i had w/ ifoedit is resolved - but when i made my converted dvd - it would not play in my set player - it would on my pc.

i then tried vob blocker in conjunction with my burning sw and i have successfully converted and can play the dvds thru my set player.

thanks for all the tips and for the guide.
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." - Alice Walker

=^..^=
    Quote Quote  
  21. I finally was able to work this out BUT on the result DVD the subtitles are out of whack and don't follow the movie and freezes but i also lost the widescreen 16x9... The subs i couldn't careless but how can i preserve the correct aspect ratio???

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks

Ron
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by CharlesH
    So I figured the problem out. No need to copy the IFO and BUP files to a Temp folder etc. This is my detailed guide:

1. Start IFOEdit
    2. Click on [OPEN] button (bottom left)
    3. From drop down window select the IFO file to be modified.
    4. Click on [OPEN} button. The IFO file appears in the upper pane and it's properties in the lower pane.
    5. Double click on the line in the lower pane containing the reference to the aspect ratio. In the drop down window (Video attributes) make your
    changes, then click on the [OK] button.

5a. Repeat this with all the lines containing references to the aspect ratio.

NOTE: The changes will not always immediately appear on the line in the lower pane, to verify, you can double click on the line again and check in the
    drop down window again.

6. Click on [Region Free] button, then the [OK] button. The lower pane will clear.
    7. In the upper pane there will be two identical lines with the same IFO file, the first line (this is the modified) and the other somewhere below among
    the other IFO files. Click on the FIRST LINE IFO, changed properties will appear in the lower pane.
    8. Click on the [SAVE] button (bottom left), make sure the file is saved by the correct name.
    9. Click on [SAVE] button in the drop down window.
    10. Answer [YES] to save the BUP file too.

11. Verify the proper change. Open that particular IFO file. Check for change.

REPEAT THIS PROCEDURE WITH ALL IFO FILES.

Apparently the confusion is in STEP 7, where there are two identical lines with theIFO file. Occasionally clicking on the FIRST line does not bring up it's propertiesin the lower pane (if you work too fast). If so, double click on the IFO line below (among other IFOs), then double click on the FIRST line again to bring about the modified properties in the lower pane.
    Save the file only when the modified properties are displayed in the lower pane.

So it works. But my problem is that the DVD player rejects the modified disc too (from PAL to NTSC) as "prohibit play due to regional code". Obviously Europe is 2 and the US is 1, but IFOEDIT (and DVD Decrypter as well) lists the new, modified disc as Region Free. It seems that the DVD player wants a Region 1 confirmation. So how can I change the Region code to a definite "1"?
    This is probably not the proper question to this thread, but people experienced with IFOEDit might have a suggestion. Thanks anyhow.

I used DVDFab decrytpter to transfer the DVD content to my HDD, while doing so it takes all those region and protections off...

My problem mainly is that i lost widescreen in the process and i HATE foolscreen !!!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by tonemgub
    When I click save, I get the following error message:

There's something wrong!
    The IFO Endsector does not match the filesize.
    I followed the directions exactly.

How can I fix this?

Thanks.
    the dvd is slightly messed up.

once you open a dvd that gives you this error it normaly can be fixed by clicking on get vts sector tab at the bottem of info edit.

also nero visions rencode can fix it but takes longer to renecode the dvd.

not your fault by the way it was someone elses mistake ripping the dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Hi and thanks to dj rumpy for the guide,

I got a Region 2 PAL DVD I'm trying to play in my sony dvd player.

Opening the .IFO files with IFOedit I see:

VIDEO_TS.IFO: PAL
    VIDEO MANAGER MENU ATTRIBUTES 4:3 NOT-SPECIFIED
    TITLE SET 1 16:9 AUTOMATIC-LETTERBOXED

VTS_01_0.IFO: PAL (MOVIE 13 CHAPTERS)
    VIDEO MANAGER MENU ATTRIBUTES 16:9 AUTOMATIC-LETTERBOXED
    TITLE SET 16:9 AUTOMATIC-LETTERBOXED

so I try following the guide to patch the files
    afterwards I burn a dvd-r with dvdshrink
    (I burned only the movie, no menus/trailers)

Opening the files on the newly burned disc I see

VIDEO_TS.IFO: NTSC
    VIDEO MANAGER MENU ATTRIBUTES 4:3 AUTOMATIC-PAN&SCAN+AUTOMATIC-LETTERBOXED
    TITLE SET 1 16:9 AUTOMATIC-LETTERBOXED

VTS_01_0.IFO: NTSC (MOVIE 13 CHAPTERS)
    VIDEO MANAGER MENU ATTRIBUTES 16:9 AUTOMATIC-LETTERBOXED
    TITLE SET 16:9 AUTOMATIC-LETTERBOXED

When I try to play the DVD I get 2 problems:
    1. Green lines on the top and the bottom
    2. The lower part of the movie where you normaly get the subtitles is chopped up.

(The disc doesn't exhibit either problem when played in my computer)

To fix the green lines, I'll try burning at 1x (saw your advice above)
    Any idea what to correct in order to get the entire movie?
    Do you think when I make the changes with IFOedit and go from PAL's 720x576 to NTSC's 720x480, I should also change from 720x480 to 704x480?

A previous post on this thread says:
    *** Great guide DJRumpy but you might add:"if the video is 4:3 you select automatic Pan & Scan",so it will play properly on a 16:9 tv. ***

Do you think when I fix VIDEO_TS.IFO, should I change the STATIC in VIDEO MANAGER MENU ATTRIBUTES from not specified to Automatic Pan&Scan?

Thanks , Nick
    Quote Quote  
  25. It worked fine for me...I guess that the Guide wasn't clear enough for some,including myself...Tell you the truth it took me couple try before I figured it out and accomplished the one that work fine. Thanks DJRumpy for the Tip...save me a lot time.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you convert a copy protected PAL DVD to NTSC and then burn it to a CD-R using this method? I bought the PAL formatted DVD by accident.
    Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
  27. tlcmd, do you mean DVD-R?...I haven't tried yet on CD-R that will fit for a Divx output format but not DVD IFO!..I don't know it you want to waste the quality?I am not sure want to do with the Pal DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's a 1943 movie (black and white). So quality ain't a question.
    Quote Quote  
  29. So you want to ripped on CD-R then you don't need this guide,use something else like gordianknot or DVD2avi...Ripped it first with DVDdecrypter onto your HD.
    Quote Quote  
  30. I have been able to make all the changes from PAL to NTSC but the problem is that with Nero Burning ROM I get a file relocation failed message when trying to burn. The error says "One or more files (Mostly VOB files) do not belong to the corresponding IFO file".

Any Ideas??
    Quote Quote