VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    You can certainly try, but I doubt it will make a difference. Just lying to your dvd player doesn't make it play formats it doesn't support.

I still use the actual converion method, which works in every player without issue. I don't actually use this method. I posted it simply by request.
    Impossible to see the future is. The Dark Side clouds everything...
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have a question that I cannot get an answer to after several postings on this and other related forums. Hope you guys can help.

I want to copy a region 0 PAL dvd to a dvd that can play on an NTSC dvd player.

If you have a multisystem dvd player (cyberhome 300) and you play a pal dvd, is the output to your monitor an ntsc signal?

If it is can't that signal be captured on your hardrive (using capture software), and the image used to burn an NTSC DVD?

I'd appreciate your comments on the possibility of this method.

Jim
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The output signal would be PAL 25fps, unless the player converts the signal on the fly (doubtfull). You could capture it though, but you would take a huge hit on quality going from digital, to analog, and then back to digital. Easier to simply covnert it from PAL to NTSC using a proper guide. It's not that difficult.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just bought a Cyberhome 300 and there is no mention of playing PAL DVDs in instructions.
    Does the player automatically detect an inserted PAL DVD and output it to the default NTSC TV output?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the player plays both formats, then it would simply output a pal signal. The mpeg is region coded, and it's framerate would be non-ntsc.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I also got this to work on a Sony...after 4 attempts Luckily I used a +RW for my tests. Originally I was working with a full PAL DVD, including menus. Unfortunately, I couldn't get my Sony standalone to boot the disc. It would hang at the beginning of play, at a language selection screen. So, I just took Shrink, re-authored to movie only, re-applied the patch in IFOedit just in case, and it worked. The source was 16:9 and for some reason I am getting an output of 4:3. But that is minor.

Thanks alot for the sharing of info!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Make sure you double chech the IFO for the 16:9 flag. You can also check the dar flag on the mpeg using AVICodec, or MPEG Properties.
    Quote Quote  
  8. works on nearly all the newer dvd's players.

older ones have scaling issues.

for once greed has worked for us, the dvd player makers tend to make the players so that the parts can do the job of both ntsc and pal and just program them as needed.

which of course works for us in the long run.

the only real issue is the menu's.
    the highlight is just alittle off due to the patch, but this is so minor that most don't even notice.

so this is a great little patch. gets four stars from me
    Quote Quote  
  9. thanks for the guide DJR

however, i am having an issue w/ ifoedit - it will not save any of my changes - i have followed the guide step-by-step; yet, when i reopen ifoedit (as per the guide) to check that the changes have saved - they have not.

please advise
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." - Alice Walker

=^..^=
    Quote Quote  
  10. it not a issue with the program but one with us.

did that a couple of times myself , were just not clicking on the correct buttions.

go through it again and replace all the files after that shut the programs down and reopen it and check again.
    Quote Quote  
  11. muchos nachos

i will try again - i suspected it was me

thanks
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." - Alice Walker

=^..^=
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by tchouli
    muchos nachos

i will try again - i suspected it was me

thanks
    BEEN THERE DONE THAT.

its a easy thing to do if you go too quick.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Guys anybody tried it with the Sony NS-315 ? Would like to send some dvds to my relatives ,they own this player ,and i would like to be sure it will work..
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This Patch Method worked fine for me in three convertions, but I still have a big doubt...

When this window opens

Sometimes the "Aspect Ratio" is in 4:3 and sometimes in 16:9, does this matters? Do I always have to choose one or should I leave this as it appears?

And sometimes the "Static" part has the Automatic Pan&Scan option selected, does this matters? Do I have to leave it as it is or do I have to always un-select this option?

Thanks in advance...

PEACE.
    PEACE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The aspect ratio should remain unchanged, as you haven't actually changed anything in the MPEG itself. Changing the aspect can cause the video playback to appear to tall or wide, depending on your player, and your display. The Static setting SHOULD be changed. In order for this cheat to display properly, your player will need to scale your dvd, and to do this, you should select the Automatic Letterboxed setting.

Essentially only those items circled in red should be modified. Leave the others untouched.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks DJRumpy, I wish you a Happy New Year...
    PEACE
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hello, I followed the patch method and was able to change from PAL to NTSC.
    Before conversion - The PAL disc would play with rolling picture.

After conversion - The picture is stable now. But a tiny top section of the picture gets repeated at the bottom. Also I get no voice.

I have a Mits widescreen TV with Pioneer DV-C603 DVD/CD multi-disc player.

Used DVD shrink to rip and copy to dvd to burn.

Any suggestions.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd suggest you try another method

Seriously though, if you read the guide, you'll note that this method either works, or it doesn't. There are no workarounds, fixes, or things to try if it doesn't work. It's a quick and dirty method that I don't even use myself. Your either going to have to buy a player that is more friendly to this method (a bit extreme), or just try doing the actual conversion using any of the numerous guides on this site. They can look painful at times, but their really not that bad.

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok after doing this it wouldnt even let me burn it, says it is too big for the cd...i made a new image file with the dvd being ntsc, and tried burning and this is what i got
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Remember your duration is different than your previous attempt, since you are not changing the framerate. You have to use the calculator again to get your AVG bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  21. remeber your basicly lieing to the player and not actualy changeing the dvd.

most players are made to play both types but are resitricted to play only one type by there firmware.

alas a few types can't play both and in other cases the tv can't show the input.

this is easy and dirty and works perfectly most of the time but doesn't work in every case.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok after i burned it in nero and play it in my dvd player, i get a bunch of green lines at the top and bottom. does this mean i have done something wrong...or that this wont work. on the computer it plays fine and on a different dvd player
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lol..I just realized I replied to the wrong post in the wrong thread. I guess I'm having another senior moemnt.

If your files play fine on the PC, but not on the player, it's usually one of three things. Either the patch method just doesn't work in your standalone dvd player, your media is bad, or you burned it too fast for your media. Try burning it at 1x, or just take your disk to an electronics store and see if it will play in any of the players there.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Great guide DJRumpy but you might add:"if the video is 4:3 you select automatic Pan & Scan",so it will play properly on a 16:9 tv.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a question;
    if I have a dvd 9, that is too big to put in a dvd 5 and it's needed to be converted to pal the original being ntsc;
    if I apply this patch before reduction then reduce it with dvd shrink or dvd rebuilder, depends on the degree of compression that it will need.. will the compressed dvd treated as genuine pal; with the right framerate in video and audio?
    I am trying to use it because I don't know how to create a avisynth script to do it in tools like dvd-rebuilder.
    thank you for your answer in advance.
    Mario
    Quote Quote  
  26. I have been able to convert DVD's from Pal to NTSC using the patch method and found that they will play on my NTSC portable Sony player, but the background graphic texts and texts used with the cursor in the menus do not line up and the subtitles are too low on the screen to be completely. Is there a way to adjust them ?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Will this patch work on a Sharp DV 750? I am not sure and I don't have any DVD-RW's.. so any help?

Regards,
    diE
    LiVe iS juSt EvIl SpElLed BAcKwArDS!
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kidsdr
    I have been able to convert DVD's from Pal to NTSC using the patch method and found that they will play on my NTSC portable Sony player, but the background graphic texts and texts used with the cursor in the menus do not line up and the subtitles are too low on the screen to be completely. Is there a way to adjust them ?
    I got exactly the same problem.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Worked perfectly me for me...first time. Perfect video, perfect sound. This using IFOEdit as described, burning with a Pioneer DVR-108 using TDK 4x DVD+R media, playing back on a three year old Toshiba SD-3750. Took a total of 15 mins from PAL .ISO to playable DVD. Thanks DJRumpy!

Quote Quote  
  30. Great job DJRumpy, worked perfect for me as well.
    Here are the results below, also worked on a DVD player in a workmate's Jeep Cherokee:

Philips DVP642 (PAL/NTSC, DVD + AVI, Region Free) - pointer out of place, picture placement and ratio incorrect, stutter
    Philips DVD 724 (PAL/NTSC, DVD, Region Free) - pointer out of place, picture ratio incorrect, stutter
    Norcent DP300 (PAL/NTSC, DVD, Region Free) - pointer correct, picture and playback perfect
    LG DVD 7911N (PAL/NTSC, DVD, Region Free) - pointer correct, picture and playback perfect
    Toshiba MD9DP1 (NTSC only, Region 1 Locked) - pointer out of place, picture and playback perfect

Thanks!
    Quote Quote