VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm going to be getting VOOM satellite service. I currently have a DirecTIVO.

My question to others, beyond the basics would be which DVR would you reccomend?

I'm not familiar at all with the ReplayTV device.

From what I can tell, the ReplayTV and the TIVO seem to have comparable features. The lifetime subscription service price is the same, the hardware seems to be evenly priced as well. The VOOM service has a lot of HD channels, so I don't know if one machine has the ability to handle HD signals at all or if one might be better than the others.

I await your wisdom or sarcasm.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't see any method to pass an HD signal into the ReplayTV box. There is a set of YPbPr jacks but they are for output only...

http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/dvr/5500/RearPanel.asp

It does have an Ethernet port for streaming programs from the ReplayTV through a home network. I've never noticed that on a PVR before.
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by andkiich
    I'm going to be getting VOOM satellite service. I currently have a DirecTIVO.

My question to others, beyond the basics would be which DVR would you reccomend?

I'm not familiar at all with the ReplayTV device.

From what I can tell, the ReplayTV and the TIVO seem to have comparable features. The lifetime subscription service price is the same, the hardware seems to be evenly priced as well. The VOOM service has a lot of HD channels, so I don't know if one machine has the ability to handle HD signals at all or if one might be better than the others.

I await your wisdom or sarcasm.
    I have both, but I do prefer the ReplayTV myself. Mainly as the poster above pointed out, because of the ethernet I can stream the video to my computer.

With VOOM that makes it a little different. Neither The TiVo, DirectTiVo or ReplayTV can capture a HDTV signal, which is 1920x1080i or 1280x720p. The best they can do is 720x480, which is Standard Definition (SD). If SD capture of HDTV is okay with you then you have your pick. If you want to capture HDTV resolution, then you will have to get a HDTV PVR. There are a number on the market. TiVo just released with DirectTV. While Replay TV does not have a HDTV PVR on the market. At least not yet.

I think I will send a question to ReplayTV to see if there are any plans to do this.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the info. It's greatly appreciated.

I've decidedto go with the TIVO, for the sole reason that I got a good deal on one on E-bay(w/ lifetime sub) and 720x480 is just fine for me as a capture resolution.

FYI - Just got VOOM installed today, and WOW. The quality is far above what I was expecting. Tons of HD channels. The only things that are aggravating at this point is that they will not be adding SCI-FI to their lineup until alter this summer(gotta get my Stargate SG-1 fix). I guess I'll be keeping the Directv basic service a little longer. Also, the HD Receiver box is HUGE!! It's about the size of the original VHS machines, maybe bigger.

Another tidbit of information for those who might want to get VOOM. They supply a terrestrial HDTV antenna with the install for free. This would be good, except that they diplex the terrestrial and dish channels together. Mine did not work well, and the installer told me that they usually don't. However, simple solution. The VOOM box can be outfitted with a plugin module that allows you to plug in an indoor antenna. this module can/does route the indoor antenna through the HD decoder. So, if you get an HD ready antenna, I got an RCA ANT200, you can pick up the broadcast HD channels.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just to correct a small point at the end of the last post referring to a "HD Antenna"...

There's is no such special beast though they may be marketed that way. The DTV signal can/is picked up by a regular UHF/VHF antenna...they've been around forever. From what I've read though, having one that is simply UHF tends to be better in that ghosting and other effects seem to be minimized.

What simply seperates the whole thing is the receiver. You need a DTV tuner just like you need a cable tuner for the signal from the cable company. That's why we have the term 'cable-ready' (has a cable-capable tuner) and now HDTV-ready. 'Ready' means the tuner is included. Otherwise a seperate DTV tuner is required for reception of DTV streams.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote