VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8
FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I'm not so confused about de-interlacing anymore. Now I just have to find the avisynth de-interlace filter I like best.

Moving on...

Is anyone not satisfied with Xvid encodes when using MPEG quantization? I have tried higher bitrates and turning on/off all the Xvid options to see if they make a difference but they don't. What I am not satisfied is this:
    You get a run of frames, let's say 2000 frames that are encoded cleanly. But mebbe 1 or 2 of those frames have sudden textures or artefacts that appear even though when you inspect the previous and next frame, there doesn't seem to be any drastic changes in the picture that should have caused it. These bum frames can be very noticeable on certain scenes.

If I use H263 Quantization these bum frames are not as apparent. If you look hard enough they do appear in the same places but somehow not as noticeable as when using MEPG Quantization.

Anyway the DivX codec doesn't even have MPEG Quantization as an option, only H263 and H263 Optimized so I just use H263 as default.

I find it hard to encode opening credits cleanly as well. I don't mind so much if the end credits use low bitrates and high quantization, but I like the opening of the movie to be clean to help suck you in more.
    There is some dark grey blocky artefacts that appear in black areas. I wanted to try and fix this by adjusting levels in VDub, so that black is absolute black but I can't find a way to filter only a portion of the video timeline. Is there an advanced hidden option to do this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I seem to be using AutoGK now instead of the long way described in this thread. However I stop it before it starts the encoding process and edit the .avs script to disable RemoveGrain() as I don't like the slight blurring it does (I AB'd it in Photoshop), and I change resize method to Lanczos4Resize.

I'm not so sure about the "ColorMatrix("Rec.709->Rec.601",opt=0,hints=false,threads=0)" line though as sometimes I like it with it, sometimes I don't. This guide doesn't seem to suggest that colour-correction is needed at all, or have you simply left it for more advanced users to tinker with.

If you've installed AutoGK there is a second Xvid entry in VirtualDub's codec list with the fourcc code of "YV12" instead of "Xvid". What would be the advantage/disadvantage of selecting this codec for compression and why does AutoGK use it?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi,

I've used this guide to make a dvd-to-xvid conversion and it works perfect, thanks.

Now, I'd like to improve quality and compressibility by using avisynth filters.

What avs script would be the best to encode a dvd to xvid ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by acid_burn
    What avs script would be the best to encode a dvd to xvid ?
    Code:
    MPEG2Source("filename.d2v")
    Deblock() #if your source is low quality
    It's not really gonna get any better than that. Compressibility and quality are usually the opposite of each other. If you want more compression quality is going to suffer. For example, if your source is very noisy applying enough noise filtering to make a big difference in compressibility will damage the picture more than the noise did in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok, thanks.

I guess I put the deblock line after lanczos resize, right ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. No, you want to deblock before resizing. The deblocking filter removes 8x8 block artifacts from overcompression. If you resize first the edges of the blocks are in the wrong places.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Like that ?

Code:
    mpeg2source("Path\file.d2v")
    Deblock()
    Crop(0,70,0,-68)
    Lanczos4Resize(640,272)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, like that. Remember, Deblock() isn't necessary for video that's in decent shape to start with.

If you really want to maximize quality, leave the video at it's original frame size and use the Xvid DAR flags to specify the aspect ratio. Not all playback software and hardware respect the DAR flag though. Verify it works for you...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Ok, thanks a lot. :)
    Quote Quote  
  10. this guide is really great...i got d amazing result..

but i had a problem...i gone thru d whole procedures step by step nd got d (.avi) file without audio of size (1.09)..
    but now wen i'm muxin audio nd video using nandub the size of d new file keeps on goin...it wen 2 approx (10gb) nd den i stopped d process...

Wat should i do...????
    m i doin somethin wrong...
    please help me out anyone...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello..sure its a great guide..but can anybody help me?
    i want to make an xvid from a dvd..i am a newbie though..i use dvd2avi do all the details..i am trying to save the project..its then 2 gb i think..then i create the avisynth but then what do u mean by saying put it on windows media player?i cant put it..
    and i cant put it on virtual dub cause it says error...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Show us the complete AviSynth script. Give us the error message from VDub.

Or save yourself the trouble and let AutoGK do the conversion for you.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what do u mean show us the script...
    i used whatever the guide says...
    i open the notebook and i put those which say...i save it as "movie.avs" then it says to open it with virtual dub...but it says an errror...
    i will put some day a pic..
    i remember that it said that this .avs is not avisynth file something like that...
    Quote Quote  
  14. If you used what the guide said, then you can post the script. If VDub reports an error, then you can post the error. Do you want help or not?

The guide is giving generic scripts, and not scripts specific to your particular names and paths. Are you using an up-to-date version of DGIndex? Are you using the DGDecode.dll that comes in that same DGMPGDec package? Did you install AviSynth?

Or save yourself the trouble and let AutoGK do the conversion for you. It would have finished the conversion hours ago.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    first of all i used dvd2avi i dont have dvd2avidg cause i dont know how to get it...
    it says
    Select the first of the main movie VOB's (or MPG files if your converting from MPEG). The first will be the lowest numbered of the VOB files. For example, if your VIDEO_TS directory contains 4 VOB files, the first VOB might be named something like this: "VTS_5_1.VOB", with the 5 number being anything from 1 to 99 (example: VTS_5_1.VOB, VTS_5_2.VOB, VTS_5_3.VOB, VTS_5_4.VOB )

so i put all the files that are there...i use the settings u say..
    i stop the video which is running..
    i click on save
    FILE -> "SAVE PROJECT".
    and i call it DVD2AVI.D2V and i put it on a folder..
    then within some minutes it ends and the file is a .wav file 5gb maybe i play it with media player only sound is there...

Step 3: Open your project file in AVISynth
    i open notebook
    and i do this
    Enter the following text into Notepad:

MPEG2Source("dvd2avi.d2v")

then save it as "movie.avs" on the same folder as the other...

u say
    you can then drag and drop your new .AVS file onto Windows Media Player. We should see the video playing normally. Note that there will not be any audio at this point.

i cant do this..i only play the .wav file into media player.

If your video has any letterboxing, you should now be ready to crop it off. (if your video has no letterboxing, you can skip this step).

i dont know what is letterboxing and how to see is it has
    any letterboxing so i left this step.

then i went to that step
    Step 4: Resizing Our Output

i put on notepad this
    MPEG2Source("dvd2avi.d2v")
    LancZosResize(640,344)
    clicked on save

Step 5: VirtualDub (1st Pass)
    Drag and drop your .AVS file onto VirtualDub.

the "movie.avs" is like 1 kb
    i put it on virtual dub it says some error..
    but neither the wav file can be dragged...

finally i downloaded dvd2avi186 i extract its a folder...i run dvd2avi and it says error loading lame_enc.dll
    but i click ok and then do whatever i say above..

we cant make a point here and i cant help myself if i am coming here every day to see if someone has posted to help me...
    i get no help till now...i wont learn how to do it that way...but ok...i listen..
    tell me what to do.

1)
    edit: i fixed it i think..i run the script on virtual dub..i use all the option u say

i am here:
    Your now ready to start the encoding process. Click F4, or select FILE -> Job Control.
    You should see both 'passes' listed here, Just click the START button, and let it run until completion. When it's finished, you will have an AVI with no audio, and your original audio file (AC3, MP2/MPA, or whatever format DVD2AVI extracted.

i click start and it says error crash...
    Quote Quote  
  16. Why do you keep refusing to report what the error messages say? Without knowing what the error messages say there's little hope of helping you.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi, can anyone help with avisynth part of the guide? I'm completely new to this.

I have AVISynth 2.5 installed with MPEG2DEC3.dll in plugin directory.
    I have no idea what this program does or how to use it, I just followed the guide to create .avs file with notepad with the following line:

MPEG2Source("filename.d2v")

Do I need to specify the path of the .d2v file? like, MPEG2Source("C:\..path...\filename.d2v") ?

Also, when I save it as an .avs file, where to I save it?? In the same directory as .d2v file?
    Quote Quote  
  18. If the AVS script is in the same folder as the D2V file you don't have to give the full path. Otherwise you do.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you jagabo

I read through some posts here and looks like I'm running into same problems as XDot.

I have AVS script file, but neither WMP nor VirtualDub can open it. I get "AVI Import Filter Error" in VirtualDub.

I have ac3filter and latest xvid codec installed. What am I missing?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Did you put DgDecode.dll (comes with DgIndex) in the AviSynth plugins folder? That's the plugin that allows use of Mpeg2Source() in AviSynth.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Also, you guys may as well learn to do it right. That guide, even with the update, is over 2 years old. Don't use DVD2AVI, don't use the MPEG2Dec3.dll. Update your tools. Get the DGMPGDec package. Click on that link in the previous sentence and get it. Read the 3 included docs. Then read them again. They'll tell you more than will this guide about getting your scripts to run. Make the D2V Project File using the included DGIndex. Use the included DGDecode.dll in your scripts. Both must be from the same DGMPGDec package. If you haven't done that already, then start over. Make sure your AviSynth is reasonably up-to-date. I think they're up to some version of 2.5.8. Although you should be able to put stuff into the AviSynth directory and then not load them directly, and although it shouldn't be necessary to use the full paths when you have stuff in your movie directory, I always use the full paths anyway, and always load any needed DLLs anyway. I'm not saying you have to do it this way, but it can remove some uncertainty when things don't work as expected. A sample script might then go like this:

LoadPlugin("C:\Path\To\DGDecode.dll")
    MPEG2Source("C:\Path\To\Movie.d2v")

Adjust for your names and paths (if you go the full-path route). Stick those 2 lines in an .avs called, maybe, Movie.avs. An .avs is a renamed .txt file. Instead of Movie.txt, rename it as Movie.avs.

Open it in VDub(Mod), or play it in a player that supports AviSynth scripts, such as Media Player Classic. Once you get a basic script going then start adding filters. Many basic ones are included and won't have a DLL you'll need. Others have been created by third party filter writers and will either have a DLL you'll need, or are a function you may have to load. But the basic stuff, like cropping, resizing, adding borders, adjusting the brightness or contrast and the like, are included. The crop and resize XDot is using is an example and probably isn't correct for his movie. Letterboxing is the black bars you'll want to remove before resizing. How do you find the correct crop and resize values? Me, I use Gordian Knot for the job. You open the D2V, and in the resolution Tab make sure the PAR is correct (16:9 or 4:3), you can crop and resize with the video picture for reference, and achieve low aspect error. It's quite easy. There are other ways, I'm sure, but I'm just saying what I use.

Basic cropping and resizing might then go something like this:

LoadPlugin("C:\Path\To\DGDecode.dll")
    MPEG2Source("C:\Path\To\Movie.d2v")
    Crop(8,0,-8,0)
    LanczosResize(512,384)

That says to crop 8 pixels from both the left and right sides and nothing from the top and bottom (Crop(L,T,-R,-B)), and then resize it to 512x384 using the good LanczosResize.

But first get those basic scripts to open. Then you should be off to the races. Read at the AviSynth site early and often:

http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Main_Page
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are bunch of dll's in plugin directory, including dgdecode.dll and mpeg2dec3.dll

Maybe I should start all over... see if I missed some steps
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I started all over

I used DGIndex (from DGMPGDec 1.53 package) to create .d2v file

Created AVS script file with full paths to both dgdecode.dll and .d2v file

Script is saved as movietitle.avs

Then I open it in VirtualDub and I still get the same "AVI Import Filter Error"

All tools were uninstalled then reinstalled before starting over

At this point I'm really stuck
    Quote Quote  
  24. Are you ever going to show us the script?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by extrabyte
    I still get the same "AVI Import Filter Error"
    Is that the exact error message you got? I can't find any way to get VirtualDub and AviSynth to give that error message. You're importing a D2V file with Mpeg2Source() -- I don't know why you would get an AVI import error.

It would be best if you posted the full AVS script. D2V files are plain text. You can open them with NotePad. Post the first dozen or so lines of that too.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok i used dgindex i did all the settings etc etc...
    i am on the final step where it says to put video and audio together.
    i am trying to do this with virtual dub and u say
    If your using VirtualDubMod:
    From the Streams menu, select STREAMS -> STREAMS LIST

but i cant find a streams menu..where is this?
    Quote Quote  
  27. In VirtualDubMod it's: Streams -> Streams List -> Add.

In VirtualDub it's: Audio -> Audio From Other File.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no such option though.

edit:

ok i downloaded and used virtual dub mode...
    i put this channel
    T80 2_0ch 192Kbps DELAY 0ms
    when i did the steps with dgindex i got 2 files the above one and another one
    T81 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms

i put the first one and the sound is not so good...
    also i didnt do some croping and i think it needs some..
    i will test the other channel now to see...
    i will make also a sample if u want to see it.

Code:
    File size                        : 727 MiB
    Duration                         : 1h 18mn
    Overall bit rate                 : 1 290 Kbps
    Writing application              : VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2 (build 2542/release)
    Writing library                  : VirtualDubMod build 2542/release

Video
    Format                           : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format profile                   : Streaming Video@L1
    Format settings, BVOP            : Ναι
    Format settings, QPel            : Όχι
    Format settings, GMC             : 0 warppoint
    Codec ID                         : XVID
    Codec ID/Hint                    : XviD
    Bit rate                         : 832 Kbps
    Width                            : 720 εικονοστοιχεία
    Height                           : 576 εικονοστοιχεία
    Display aspect ratio             : 5/4
    Frame rate                       : 25,000 fps
    Standard                         : PAL
    Resolution                       : 24 bits
    Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
    Scan type                        : Διαπλεκόμενη σάρωση
    Scan order                       : Bottom Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.080
    Stream size                      : 469 MiB (65%)
    Writing library                  : XviD 1.2.0.dev47 (UTC 2006-11-01)

Ήχος
    Format                           : AC-3
    Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
    Codec ID                         : 2000
    Bit rate                         : 448 Kbps
    Channel(s)                       : 6 κανάλια
    Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate                    : 48,0 KHz
    Stream size                      : 252 MiB (35%)
    Interleave, duration             : 40 ms (1.00 video frames)
    Interleave, preload duration     : 500 ms

a little sample if u want to download and see it and tell me how do u see it and what can i change...

Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/172771168/then_she_found_me24sample.rar
    Quote Quote  
  29. VirtualDubMod simply multiplexed the AC3 audio into the AVI file. It is the exact same audio as on your DVD source. If it doesn't sound good there's something wrong with your source.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it has 2 channels...the second one seems better..
    ok i cropped the video and did it all again...
    here is a sample..check it out and tell me.
    Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/172790466/then_she_found_me31sample.avi
    Quote Quote