VideoHelp Forum

Poll: How Many Coasters Did You Make While Learning?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Coasters? I use DVD+-RW to practice and learn.

(Actually, I still made about 10 because of bad DVD-R media)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    for DVD's...4 (3-R, 1-RW)

My first burn, I just got my Pioneer DVR-104 and wanted to see which of my players could play a burnt DVD. I take the DVD-RW provided, and use Nero and copy an anime movie called Tokyo Revelations. Needless to say I was absoloutely blown away as to how or why it wouldn't work. I eventually found this site, did some reading and then learned about what tools I'd need in order to make this work. Never got that -RW to work properly, even after I learned how to do the burning correctly.

Second burn...I didn't disable my Anti-virus and I got a popup from Norton while burning leading to my first REAL coaster. Lesson learned? Norton = instrument of the devil.

Third burn was an embarassing one. I was making a backup of NBA Street 2 for PS2 and was confused about the .GI format from RecordNowMax (Split files). I ended up mounting one of them somehow with a Virtual Device, and then ripping that...but it was only 1 of 2 parts to the image. Burnt it, black-screen on boot.

I'd say I've been fairly lucky, those were the only REAL problems I had. Only other minor things were wasting discs due to language barriers. I had a Chinese DVD to backup for my girlfriend and I somehow left the Cantonese language tracks in, but cut the Mandarin AND English languages out, and since she speaks Mandarin and English, but not Cantonese...I had a coaster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. About 5 burning SVCD's and about the same for DVD-R's
    Quote Quote  
  4. About 5 DVD's from dumb mistakes like no audio

Now if you want to count media related coasters 1 with Ritek and 100 using different crap media's
    Quote Quote  
  5. On an opening note: Interesting poll
    I vividly remember biking across toronto (it was a sunday and the transit would take longer) to get my first burner, CREATIVE 8x4x32 for $400 CDN from compucenter. thats right, about 3-4 years ago. I made a couple of coasters, in the first week, but then its good sailing ever since...even with dvd writers.
    around that time my friend had a CDR drive only...(not an RW) that too an SCSI..which wrote at 4x on cdr's.
    boy, has technology come a long way !!!
    desi ishtyle baby
    Quote Quote  
  6. I remember the software I used was touted as the "software that killed DAO", which was the bitchy DOS software of the day for burning.

"My" burner was always borrowed from a friend's parent back in those days. He always joked he'd use my car a collateral if I ruined his drive ... sadly the car probably cost less.
    I bought my 1st CDR burner for $1600 wholesale price. Black CD's
    were $10 each for the cheap ones and $25 for the top of the line.
    Now they are 0.20 cents Times change. There was
    no software per sae.. just scsi comands driven from cue files
    you wrote in longhand. Then came the revolution that was DAO!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I would have to say that I have lost count of the number of coasters only because I don't count them. Media has generally been to blame but I would estimate that I have made at least 1500 CD & DVD successful burns with probably 40 coasters.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. the only dvd coasters i've made was because of crap media. A lot and a lot (300 or more, I always make a verification after burning). I'm probably an unlucky guy, I'm wondering if I will not quit dvd making because of the quantity of bad media. I now use most of the time dvd-rw, and there is also a lot of bad media, some only burns one time, some didn't burn at all. I recently bought 15 dvd+rw rimax (ritek 001) and there were recorded correctly only after one or two complete formatting...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    o vcd coasters read the guides all the time and had friends doing it and we help each other out.

dvd-r/+r 10-15 a couple were my fault 3-5 of them caus ei took out all the audio tracks so my fault the other were just sample disk to see what look best caus ei had no rw disk

cdr 5 coasters bad media memroex it did not like my aopen and my hp cdr burner been doing this sence 98
    ScootZilla
    Quote Quote  
  10. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Counting media tweaking as "learning", hundreds of coasters and about 2100 successful burns.
    Quote Quote  
  11. VCD's-none
    DVD's-2
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Since January only 2

1 DVD -R (Daft me put a wrong file on it).
    1 DVD -RW (?Faulty Media? Worked twice then will not erase.

But like any other newbie I made mistakes. The answer is like others have said before in this thread - If what you are doing new to you or a software change or update test it with an RW first.

This takes a bit more time but if I had not I think my coaster count would be not 2 but 52.

Malcolm
    Quote Quote  
  13. tgpo:

Why do you capitalize just about every word in these polls?

And am I the only one that finds it annoying as hell?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pyrohydra
    tgpo:

Why do you capitalize just about every word in these polls?
    I dunno
    Quote Quote  
  15. CAPITAl LETTERs KICk ASs!
    Quote Quote