VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well, i have a boatload(over 700) of racing videos that i want to convert to mpeg to be able to play to on a dvd player... can i use tmpgenc plus v2.5(or another program)to convert a bunch at once to dvd spec resolution and fps? any help would be greatly appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I believe TMPGEnc can do batch functions. What kind of video format are they? You realize this will take quite a bit of time, even with a fast computer. And you need quite a bit of HD space. It really helps on this forum to fill out your computer information.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh my computer is a 2.8ghz p4, 512mb of RAM... i still have about 40 gigs free left, but that wont be a problem because i'll convert a bunch, delete, and convert again- i have a 2nd 40gig hard drive i could use also. and the files are different formats; ranging from wmv's, to avi's, to a couple of .mov's(i have the plugin for quicktime support for tmpgenc plus), and the the type i hate- real video .rm\.ram's... are there any tools or plugins to convert real video formats? and heres a snapshot i took just so you get an idea:

Quote Quote  
  4. EOVideo will convert .rm to a useable format, even directly to mpeg.
    TMPGEnc will do exactly what you need in batch mode, though long and tedious. Like watching grass grow.
    Mainconcept MPEG Encoder will do it faster, unless you want to muck about in tmpgenc's advanced settings.
    It depends also on what quality you want the output to be.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by reboot
    EOVideo will convert .rm to a useable format, even directly to mpeg.
    TMPGEnc will do exactly what you need in batch mode, though long and tedious. Like watching grass grow.
    Mainconcept MPEG Encoder will do it faster, unless you want to muck about in tmpgenc's advanced settings.
    It depends also on what quality you want the output to be.
    the problem about what quality i want is, all the videos are different resolutions. some are small, some are big. i dont want to make the small ones big, then it looks way too grainy. i basically want to 'resolutionize' the small ones to the closest small allowable dvd-spec mpeg. i know i'm not making much sense right now, when i get home i'll post what resolution the smaller resolution videos are, and the closest allowable mpeg resolution needed to put it on a dvd, since i forget the dimensions TMPGEnc dvd author needs...
    Quote Quote  
  6. DVD authoring requires 720x480 for NTSC.
    If you plan on authoring them to (S)VCD on DVD, then we're opening up a new can of worms.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by reboot
    DVD authoring requires 720x480 for NTSC.
    If you plan on authoring them to (S)VCD on DVD, then we're opening up a new can of worms.
    352x480 is an acceptable DVD resolution. This is what I would use if I had a bunch of files of varying resolutions to convert. I believe you can use 352x240 but it has to be mpeg-1. In order for mpeg-2 and mpeg-1 to exist on the same DVD you have to use different title sets for each. I'm pretty sure they can't be on the same track.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might want to try tmpegenc source creator found on pegasys websight. Has 1 month fully functional free trial. It's much easier to "set-up" and run than most other encoders and accepts a variety of inputs, but will not handle ac3 audio. It will still take a long time to encode, even on a fast computer. Hope this helps
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey, thanks. tmpgenc's dvd source creator works great so far.
    Quote Quote  
  10. TeeGee, "352x480 is an acceptable DVD resolution"...I wasn't going to get into HalfD1, however, you are correct, it would probably be a better resolution to use for all those multiple files.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. Unless your source is at least 640x480 you might as well encode to 352x480. Full D1 will probably introduce a lot of blockiness.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    whats full and half D1?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Read here.
    Quote Quote