VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is the media code. I checked both spindles.

00 6A 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 86 0D 13 .j...@....R.....
    66 78 80 00 03 54 59 47 30 31 00 00 04 00 00 00 fx...TYG01......
    00 00 00 00 05 88 80 00 00 00 01 00 06 08 0F 11 ................

naturalzinc - www.fatwallet.com is your friend...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by falberni
    I got some of the DVD-Rs. The media code is MXL RG02. They're made in Japan.
    falberni thanks for the answer and thanks also to steelyken for your answer too! Glad to see that they are MXL RG02, they burn well with my Plex 708!!!

Just ordered 2 Maxell DVD-R spindles on line and used the coupons with no problem.

nero_wolfe
    "Archie, a beer!!!!!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for posting the media codes!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To those asking, I have used some of the coupons codes in the store itself. I just wrote them down, got the dvd+rs I wanted, went to the cashier, gave her the codes, got my cheap, quality discs.

As for where do I find them, I got them off the message boards at slickdeals.net.
    Quote Quote  
  5. As I reported earlier, the DVD-R media that I purchased yesterday have the MXL RG02 media code. To give you an update, I burned the first one using Pioneer 107D with NIL's 1.13 hacked firmware. I used 8X burning speed and checked the quality by Nero CD Speed and by Kprobe on my Lite-On combo dirve. The quality was excellent. Today, I placed another order on line for 30 more. On the first try it didn't let me use the 2 for 1 coupon code. It recognized that I had used that coupon code before. So I deleted the cookies and tried again without using my regular log on user name. This time it worked. The $10 off coupon code worked too.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    steelyken and mr. orange pants and all others, thanx for the replies/info
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by steelyken
    Here is the media code. I checked both spindles.

00 6A 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 86 0D 13 .j...@....R.....
    66 78 80 00 03 54 59 47 30 31 00 00 04 00 00 00 fx...TYG01......
    00 00 00 00 05 88 80 00 00 00 01 00 06 08 0F 11 ................

naturalzinc - www.fatwallet.com is your friend...
    Hey Steelyken,

Can u tell me what color ur TYs were, the top of the discs anyways ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. UPS just dropped mine off. Both packs said "Made in Japan" but both came up as MXLRG02. They are yellow-topped.

I was hoping for TY's, but I'm definitely not disappointed with getting MXL's at that price.
    Quote Quote  
  9. out of stock here in CA.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah they are out of stock in California, but if you go to the store, they have a lot. Yesterday I bought it in Oakland, 2 for 26.99, I add a sharpie pack of 5 pens 3.99, over $30 so I tell them to use coupon number and they gave me a best deal, 2 pack with 30 disks, 5 shapies for less than $21 (include tax) .. is it a best deal or what
    I will come and buy more today. They have DVD-R and DVD+R more than 20 spindle
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the ad it does not say one per customer. Can you buy two get two free on the same order Because i have a coupon for 10 off of 50 or more purchase and Im low on disks. Thanks Jay
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On first inspection, the TYs look EXACTLY like the MXLs; yellow toppped. There are subtle differences, however.

When viewing the dyed side, the TYs have a distinct narrow dark ring near the inner edge of the dye. The MXLs lack this ring.

Also, the numbers "0608" and "GD000272" are imprinted just inside the narrow dark ring, again missing on the MXLs.

Lastly, there is the code " 3B415F057760B" along the inner ring of the disc on the top side. The MXLs have the code "M2EJ293B" printed in a straight line tangent to the inner edge on the top side of the disc.

I know it is nitpicking to post such mundane details, but I wanted everyone to see I was not lying about the fact these are TYs. Of course, YMMV as far as what you get, it appears.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also got 2 DVD-R 15-packs of the Maxells that turned out to be TYG01. I included two square magnetic clips to push it over $30, and total came to be $21.57 delivered.

Here is the media code from DvdInfoPro from a NEC ND2500A.
    Media Information
    Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Media code/Manufacturer ID TYG01
    Format Capacity Not Formatted
    Free Blocks 412352512
    Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
    Book Type DVD-R
    Media Type DVD-R
    Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 11080KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 5.9x 8112KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
    Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
    Quote Quote  
  14. I tried purchasing a couple of spindles here in Honolulu and was told that I could not use the coupon codes unless I had the actual hard copy coupons in hand to give to them. I was told the $10 off coupon is some kind of "drop in" coupon that I could only use if I had a legitimate source that I could show to them. Anyone know where its from? I told them the buy one get one free coupon is actually from a sale on the mainland (Hawaii is usually a week behind) so I asked if I could use that one. But the manager said the price will be $29.95 and not $26.97. I guess I'll have to wait til next week.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    oama wrote:
    I tried purchasing a couple of spindles here in Honolulu and was told that I could not use the coupon codes unless I had the actual hard copy coupons in hand to give to them. I was told the $10 off coupon is some kind of "drop in" coupon that I could only use if I had a legitimate source that I could show to them. Anyone know where its from? I told them the buy one get one free coupon is actually from a sale on the mainland (Hawaii is usually a week behind) so I asked if I could use that one. But the manager said the price will be $29.95 and not $26.97. I guess I'll have to wait til next week.
    btw funny nick you have! It'll be oama season soon!!!
    Hey order it via their 1-800-go-depot and tell them you want to pick it up at your local office depot. I did that a few months ago and it went well. Only draw back is you can only use that coupon code once. I had a friend call a order in for me and he picked it up for me. The only work around that is by ordering it online but the delivery charge to Hawaii would be too mfer expensive, pardorn my pun.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Purchased 2 Maxwell 15 pack DVD+R spindles, mine are Ricoh JPN01
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So is the TY01 media really good? I bought a 10 pack of maxell's 4x dvd-r at walmart today and the media code is TY01? So is that good or bad?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    www.nomorecoasters.com
    TY = Taiyo Yuden = good
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    www.nomorecoasters.com
    TY = Taiyo Yuden = good
    oh ok, I was just wondering since the they have been getting mixed reviews

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php?selectmedia=1142#comments
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by awhitney
    www.nomorecoasters.com
    TY = Taiyo Yuden = good

A bad comment like that on good media I'd dismiss as a dirty burner at first.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by awhitney
    www.nomorecoasters.com
    TY = Taiyo Yuden = good

A bad comment like that on good media I'd dismiss as a dirty burner at first.
    Thats what I figured since I bought a 50 pack of actual Taiyo Yuden disks and have no problems with them whatsoever. So, yay for maxell!!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For future reference (regarding coupon codes).

I picked up a set of two cakeboxes at a local Office Depot. The somewhat indifferent cashier didn't bat an eyelash when I matter-of-factly told her that I had another code for her to input into the register.

Then, I went to another local OD, and the manager and asst. mgr happened to be ringing customers up. I tried to avoid them, figuring they would be the ones to question it, if anyone.

Sure enough, when I said I has another code, they asked what it was for (this was the $10 off of $30). They told me that I need to print up a coupon from online and not just present them with code. I fudged and told them that CS for the website told me that it would be fine to do it in this way, as I called them to find out what my options were because the discs were back ordered on line. I asked the mgmt. to make the exception and told them that I'll remember to first print out any future coupons. They weren't the adamant types, and they didn't seem absolutely confident about what they were saying, so they let me have the deal.

Now, following steelyken's info, I ended up with two TY boxes and two Maxell boxes. The two Maxell sets DO have a small dark purplish ring. This ring is right at the edge of the clear inner ring, where as the TY ring was separated from the clear inner ring by another small, lighter purple ring/band.
    Who, besides TY, makes these Maxell yellow labeled DVD-Rs? Maxell themselves?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by GregN
    Who, besides TY, makes these Maxell yellow labeled DVD-Rs? Maxell themselves?
    Just checked a couple of the Maxell DVD-R 10-packs I bought when they were on sale at Walgreen's for $14.99. All are MXL RG02.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks, tag. I picked up that Walgreens deal too. Of course, had I known the Office Depot deal was coming...

The two non-TY Maxell cases that I picked up from Office Depot look just like the discs from Walgreens (same location of small dark purple band, and similar number imprinting). I assume then that they are the MXL RG02 as well. Although, the dotted horizontal lines on the disc face are much clearer/distinct than either of the two sets from Office Depot. (I don't have a computer burner so the DVDInfoPro program I dl'd is useless).
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by GregN
    The two non-TY Maxell cases that I picked up from Office Depot look just like the discs from Walgreens (same location of small dark purple band, and similar number imprinting). I assume then that they are the MXL RG02 as well.....

I would assume the same. However, I'm a bit confused about awhitney's Walmart purchase. According to that post, awhitney bought the exact same Maxell 4x DVD-R 10-packs that were (and are) available at Walgreens but the Walmart disks are TYs? The packaging is identical.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome to the "what's behind curtain numbers 1, 2 or 3!" world of recordable DVD purchasing.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by GregN
    Welcome to the "what's behind curtain numbers 1, 2 or 3!" world of recordable DVD purchasing.

Well, either way, at least with Maxell we know we're getting good media (e.g. TY or MXL)..........so far, that is.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Especially at 65-70 cents a piece, unless you factor in the amount needed to get to the $30 mark for the final $10 off coupon. Still, it's what? 80 cents per disk? I'll take it!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I found something interesting about the MAXELL DVD-R 4X from the OFFICE DEPOT sale. I purchased 4 spindles from a Honolulu OFFICE DEPOT store and they had a no clear plastic disc on the top of the spindle and there was a cardboard ring on the bottom of each spindle. Thess discs are MXL. I found it odd because all the ones I've bought before never had that. They always had a styrofoam ring and a clear plastic disc on the top.

I purchased 2 more spindles today and the clear plastic disc was on the top and a styrofoam ring was there. These 2 spindles are TAIYO YUDEN discs. Both are good discs so don't get me wrong I'm not complaining. I just found it odd that the packaging was different on those spindles I bought. Hawaii is a week behind the mainland when it comes to their sales ads at OFFICE DEPOT & OFFICE MAX. I guess because everything has to be shipped via boat.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I checked mine, and both my TY and my MXL packages have the clear plastic disc and styrofoam top.
    Quote Quote