VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i came across this and i smiled . maybe this will slow down those CMC asswipes from flooding the market with their crappy media.

http://www.cdr-info.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=5445
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ricoh is suing a bunch of other companies as well. And it isnt good news if they sue the largest optical drive maker as well as the largest OEM media maker. Then you will wonder why your dell computers became more expensive.

Pfft. CMC media is not as bad as claimed. Ricoh media isn't all that its hyped to be. YMMV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You shouldn't be buying Dell computers in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 888888
    You shouldn't be buying Dell computers in the first place.
    Amen to that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Why do you say that? is Gateway a better comp? or what do you recommend?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by porphyra
    Pfft. CMC media is not as bad as claimed. Ricoh media isn't all that its hyped to be. YMMV.
    from personal experience i can say CMC media sux and ricoh is quality. im glad they are sueing CMC!

i dont see what is wrong with dell but, whatever, thats not the issue. and im not buyin a new comp until more 64bit support comes out.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I had two Ricoh CDRW drive 2600A both die with in one year. I do not know about now but that model sucked and I'll never buy Ricoh again.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by spiderman2k1
    I had two Ricoh CDRW drive 2600A both die with in one year. I do not know about now but that model sucked and I'll never buy Ricoh again.
    i was talkin about Ricoh media, since this is under the media topic of the forum. admittedly i dont know shit about Ricoh hardware, for all i know their drives are made by another manufacturer (doubt it), not the issue tho.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SHAWN757
    Why do you say that? is Gateway a better comp? or what do you recommend?
    I was making that remark about prebuilt computers in general. They cost much more and generally carry cheaper components.

Before I built my PC a couple of years ago- the one I still have, I called one of those big companies just for the hell of it. I told them what I wanted.. First of all, they would not put a DVD burner and a DVD Rom in the same PC. "Because we know what people will do with that." WTF?! How is it any of their business what I do with my PC?!

Anyway, the quote came to almost $1900. I built a computer using the same specs and including the $400 + 1x DVD Burner, it cost me less than $1000. It was essentially half price!

Unlike Dell, I only used top of the line retail boxed components. All components were under warranty. The only area I skimped a little bit on was RDRam. I figured I'd get more eventually but never did.

On the other hand, if you don't feel comfortable building a PC or learning- (it's not hard) then I guess Dell is the way to go. But you are going to overpay.

It's kind of like a Staples flyer I saw a few years ago advertising a CD burner. In the ad they offered to install the drive for $20. That's right, $20 to hook up an IDE cable and the power source. Can you say rip-off?.

Why pay more for less?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by naturalzinc
    i dont see what is wrong with dell but, whatever, thats not the issue. and im not buyin a new comp until more 64bit support comes out.
    "Name Brand" PCs like Compaq/HP/Packard Bell are usually difficult if not impossible to upgrade. Thats' my beef. I don't buy into the whole "customer service" or warranty stuff either...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unlike Dell, I only used top of the line retail boxed components. All components were under warranty
    Take a look at this article regarding dell pc's.
    http://www.upgradingandrepairingpcs.com/articles/upgrade3_01_01.asp

When friends ask what brand of pc they should purchase I always tell them if they're only going to do email and surf the net then get a cheap dell pc. If they want to do more than that I offer to build a pc for them. I only charge for the components to build a pc. I enjoy building pc's as a hobby. With every pc I build I always learn something new.
    As for CMC media it still is crappy no matter what anyone says. Of course that's just my opinion.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by budz
    Unlike Dell, I only used top of the line retail boxed components. All components were under warranty
    Take a look at this article regarding dell pc's.
    http://www.upgradingandrepairingpcs.com/articles/upgrade3_01_01.asp
    Ah, Scott Mueller? I have his 10th anniversary edition book. That dude even programmed his own EEPROM for his late 80's modle Chevy Caprice...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow! That article is shocking. Talk about sleazy.

Just for the record they do have some good prices on lower end PCs. In many cases it's cheaper than building it yourself. But high end PCs are much cheaper to build than to buy from a company like Dell.

As for CMC, I have heard too many complaints from forum users to go anywhere near media made by them. If a few users like it, then all the more power to them. But the majority of people conside it to be crap. That's enough to stop me from trying it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by porphyra
    Ricoh is suing a bunch of other companies as well. And it isnt good news if they sue the largest optical drive maker as well as the largest OEM media maker. Then you will wonder why your dell computers became more expensive.

I agree, CMC +R's (Memorex) aren't as bad as even I bad mouthed them in the past. I have checked the last 75 burns I made with them (4.4 GB) and have had no read errors, though they fluctuated a bit in transfer rate in the last .5 GB. I hope that they have a decent life expectancy. The Ricoh's (Memorex +R) I checked had a very similar transfer profile.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by GKar
    I agree, CMC +R's (Memorex) aren't as bad as even I bad mouthed them in the past. I have checked the last 75 burns I made with them (4.4 GB) and have had no read errors, though they fluctuated a bit in transfer rate in the last .5 GB. I hope that they have a decent life expectancy. The Ricoh's (Memorex +R) I checked had a very similar transfer profile.
    Maybe it's because CMC did infringe on Ricoh's patents to improve their quality. :P

Anyway, I'm also surprised by the quality of the CMC's. I've had similar results as GKar except the doubts are still in the back of my head. If given the choice, I would still use Ricoh over CMC based simply on CMC's track record.

-Shmorq
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shmorq
    Originally Posted by GKar
    Maybe it's because CMC did infringe on Ricoh's patents to improve their quality. :P

Anyway, I'm also surprised by the quality of the CMC's. I've had similar results as GKar except the doubts are still in the back of my head. If given the choice, I would still use Ricoh over CMC based simply on CMC's track record.

-Shmorq

Thats what im sayin...im pissed b/c i got burned (<-- stupid pun) by using CMC in the past. they screwed me over on several diff types of burners, so im not buyin em anymore. sort of my own mini boycott (im sure other ppl feel the same way).

everyone boycott CMC (mostly memorex)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Guest
    Originally Posted by SHAWN757
    Why do you say that? is Gateway a better comp? or what do you recommend?
    Gateway?! Get off the drugs son.

Try www.abspc.com
    I've bought 2 computers from them. They are reasonable and I've had good luck with the service dept.
    Quote Quote