VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Which one is better for home entertainment?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We are moving into a new house htis summer, and soon we will start building our own Home Entertainment system. We have decided on almost everything, but one thing is the TV.

I want to know which one is better, the Digital Projector or Rear Projection TV?

I know that both of the options can come with HDTV (whichever one I choose, I will get the model with HDTV). However, I am wondering which one would be better. Some people say it is the projector, others say it is the TV. Does the projector reduce the quality or something?

If the quality is the same for both, then obviously the projector is the choice because it is a lot more flexible for us to chose the size. But if the quality is different, we might have to go with the TV.

Oh yeah, and the prices are about the same so that is not a question, only the quality is.
    Don't Hate The Player, Hate The Game.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you seen the LG DLP(digital light processor) rear projector? I think it's as good as a plasma, and MUCH better than a projector.
    "Whenever I need to "get away,'' I just get away in my mind. I go to my imaginary spot, where the beach is perfect and the water is perfect and the weather is perfect. The only bad thing there are the flies. They're terrible!" Jack Handey
    Quote Quote  
  3. Definitely the DLP rear projector. We saw one at Ultimate Electronics last weekend. Wow!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by tweedledee
    Have you seen the LG DLP(digital light processor) rear projector? I think it's as good as a plasma, and MUCH better than a projector.
    I'm more than pleased with my 43 inch DLP HDTV. Very bright crisp picture even in the day with the windows open.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just for interest, how much are they in the USA? Here in OZ they go for $3999 which is $2810 US
    "Whenever I need to "get away,'' I just get away in my mind. I go to my imaginary spot, where the beach is perfect and the water is perfect and the weather is perfect. The only bad thing there are the flies. They're terrible!" Jack Handey
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've had a Sony VPL-HS2 projector for over a year now. (It's the 800X600 model) and really love it. 5X7 foot screen. It adjusts the keystoning both horizontally and vertically, so I am able to put it on a shelf in the corner and get a perfect picture. Few things about projectors. They do have fan noise, so check the specs. Also bulb cost. Mine is about $100US, which is on the low side. Most are closer to $400US. I have more than 700hrs on my bulb, so no complaints. Also consider where you would mount it. Most will flip the picture so you can mount them upside down from the ceiling. Don't scrimp on the screen. Mine was about $350 and if I had it to do over, I would have got either an electric version or at least the regulated retracting type. You also need to set the projector to the size of your room. Most vendors have a chart or formula to show how big of picture you can get, depending on the distance to the screen. I think the projector type is much better than the rear projection setups. I have a small room, 17 feet wide and the 5X7 foot screen is very impressive. Never regreted the purchase. A few sites of interest: http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?conf=DCConfID1 http://www.projectorcentral.com/home.cfm
    Quote Quote  
  7. I also vote for front projection. I have an InFocus X1 and I am just showing it on a white wall. I realize it would look even better if I had a screen but I don't have the funds and it looks good enough as is to me. The projector was $900 after a $100 rebate. The bulb is rated to last 4000 hours (used to be 3000 when it first came out). I have a pretty good sized living room (15 x 20) and a 10 foot diagonal picture looks great! Another advantage is the portability. Although I don't move mine around it's nice to know that if I want to take it to someone's house for a big game or movie night it's only 5 pounds and comes with a case. It's also cool to watch Divx movies or surf the internet on my laptop. My wife was against getting a big honkin' TV for the living room so a projector was a great comprimise. Just shut it off and there's no TV. For the price of a good rear HDTV you could get 2-3 X1s!
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another vote here for a front projector. Back in January, 2003, I was asking myself the same questions. Thanks in good part to the advice of a moderator here, BJ_M, I got an InFocus X1. They've also just announced the X2.

Check out the specs for the InFocus X1 http://www.infocus.com/products/productview.asp?site_lang=1&site_region=1&prod=x1&c=4

Fast forward 15 months, and I'm still thrilled with my X1 and its awesome picture. I highly recommend it, especially since they're now going for half what I paid.

Too bad about those Habs, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [/quote]"redwutz" so I am able to put it on a shelf in the corner and get a perfect picture.
    [/quote]
    I was watching a front projector the other week and the picture seemed very poor. Maybe it was not set up properly. Anyway, on a DLP you can see each individual hair on a persons head. Do you get that clarity with yours? If you do I'll have another look at them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, and I just noticed they now carry the InFocus X1 at Future Shop. With typical Future Shop competence, they describe it as an LCD projector, but of course it's DLP. You might find it for cheaper elsewhere, but you can't beat their no-hassle return policy (stand in line with your receipt and give it to the girl).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    tweedledee: Actually my reference to 'perfect picture' was for the keystoning adjustments. My projector is a 800X600 model and the picture is quite good. I didn't want to shell out a additional $1000US for the 1000X700 model. It does have a slight 'screen door' effect, but I switched to progressive scan and that helped. I understand the DLP models don't have that. When you are looking at projectors, make sure they are 'Home theater' capable. Some projectors are just for computer presentation use and don't have the extra features. Mine is capable of HDTV, progressive video, computer inputs, SVHS and component video. There are a lot more projectors on the market now that home theater is becoming more common.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suggest projector too. Cheaper and better.

That might change in 2 - 3 years. But for now, projector, hands down...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Like I said, I am going with the one that gives the best quality. I think it is the TV, but I will still check both of them out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there is not a whole lot of differance except there is a screen pre attached to one and not the other ..

the X1 is the engine used inside the samsung dlp rear projector ...
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by glockjs

thats just a reg. plasma .... not even close to dlp in quality ....
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    didnt know they made dlp for plasma tv's thought it was only for projection tv's...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    say neither good sir!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you've been waiting all day to use that one huh tweedledee

but seriously i think the newer hd rear projection tv's look better
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you've been waiting all day to use that one huh tweedledee
    Damn, caught again.
    The advantage with Plasma is it SOUNDS much better when you say,"I just got myself a new PLASMA". Rear projector doesn't have the same ring about it. But they still look good when viewing from the side.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It depends on:-
    1) how much you want to spend,
    2) how big you want your picture
    3) how high you want your resolution
    4) your lighting enviroment for day viewing
    5) and what your source will be (your picture is only as good as your source)

As for me, I went for the Infocus X1 DLP Projector and would never go back, my reasons:-
    1) Not too much
    2) Huge 100"
    3) more than I got, but I didnt have the finances
    4) Lights off, dark as hell
    5) 99.9% DVD (Denon 2200) 0.1% TV (standard analogue)

I have a cheap 59cm Teak TV for normal TV viewing. I found you need a good DVD player to give your projector the best picture possible. The denon sends a 480progressive signal through Neotec component cable.

screen sizes:
    # Rear projection about 53" max
    # Plasma about 50" max (the cheaper ones are low-res and the expensive (1024 x 768) ones are still not as hi-res as the HDTV signal)
    # Front projectors as big as your wall is and you can get hi-res 2048x1536 (7000ANSI Lumens) with the JVC D-ILA

Hope this helps.
    I personal could not watch movies on a smaller screen
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK hehe! If I had the money to spend on that, I might consider it, but since we just bought the house and have to buy everything else as well (furniture, fridge, etc...), that big of an investment is just too much at the moment.

We are going to buy two new TV's, one for the living room, and the other for the Entertainment Room downstairs. The one in the living room does not really matter, but it is the one downstairs that really matters. I might however consider buying both a Projector and a TV so that I can have both of them, one downstairs and the other upstairs, so that I can switch them if one is better.

But if the projector gives the same quality as a TV, then I might buy the projector. But doesn't the projector sort of "fade" the image?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    depends in a large part on the screen .. as i mentioned , they often have the same engines -- so a good quality screen can make a huge diff.

even if you use screen paint if you are just going to show it on the wall is a wise thing ...

room lighting is also important -- i.e. little or none, which makes projectors unusable in some areas where you can not control the room lighting (windows that can not be blacked out because your wife says it looks like you live in a bomb shelter and the police will think you got a growing operation going on)
    Quote Quote  
  24. Also remember that anything projection requires a bulb. Bulb = $$$.

We got a great one at the aquarium, its an hdtv projector & a bulb, rated at 2000 hours is just $10,000.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For anyone that feels he/she has the skills needed I found this website just recently that has plans on how to make your own LCD front projector.

Unfortunately I don't think I have the skills for such a project but it sounds very interesting.

If I can save up enough money I might attempt it with the help of my girlfriend's father as he has some experience in building stuff (though I don't think he knows much about soldering wires which is a skill needed for this project).

Anyways the website sells plans on how to do this for $19.99 but there are forums that you can visit and while most of them are "locked" unless you register by buying the plans (which I haven't done) there are some forums that anyone is allowed to read and one of them is called, "PROJECT GALLERY" and there are some very impressive results there.

They claim you can build this for around $500

Look at the PROJECT GALLERY ... for $500 (hell even it if costs double that) it looks pretty darn impressive.

Here is the link: http://www.lumenlab.com/

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    since you can buy a new lcd projector for about 700$ -- i'm not sure there are any great deals to be had there -- plus lcd's are very heat sensitive and require polarization filters to remove UV (if you build it yourself) .....

a new DLP projector of much higher quality than a cheapo lcd can be had for 900-1000$

a really nice single chip dlp goes for about 15grand and to step up to a 3 chip dlp going to set you back 30grand to start with and up to 120,000$ish

above that you get into 2k projectors and such and go up to 160k ......

I know of home theaters that have 1 and in one case 2 , 100,000$+ projectors ..
    Quote Quote  
  27. Guest
    I love my 61" samsung DLP.

Occasional notice of "rainbows" Not enough to make me want to switch formats.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    since you can buy a new lcd projector for about 700$ -- i'm not sure there are any great deals to be had there -- plus lcd's are very heat sensitive and require polarization filters to remove UV (if you build it yourself) .....

a new DLP projector of much higher quality than a cheapo lcd can be had for 900-1000$

a really nice single chip dlp goes for about 15grand and to step up to a 3 chip dlp going to set you back 30grand to start with and up to 120,000$ish

above that you get into 2k projectors and such and go up to 160k ......

I know of home theaters that have 1 and in one case 2 , 100,000$+ projectors ..
    Well I'm poor. So if I really wanted it I would try the build-it-yourself thing although I didn't know you could get one as cheap as $700

I mean if that is true and it is decent then I could justify spending $700 instead of $500 but anything more than $700 is just way too much for me to spend.

But I'm not sure I really have the room for it now anyways but I found that site and it looks sooooo tempting.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  29. Check out this site. It is full of info on projectors as well as some editorials on how to decide between front and rear projection.

-Suntan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dr.Gee
    clean up those cables :P

very nice unit --
    Quote Quote