VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With some films, I have found it is far more advantageous to simply split the film into two discs than transcode. Films like The Godfather are a good example, as the quality of Paramount's transfer is, to be frank, atrocious. I still wonder where Paramount got their MPEG encoder. I also like to keep DTS tracks where possible, so discs like Gangs Of New York tend to get split.

I'm not holding my breath for dual-layer recorders to become affordable, but if anyone has some suggestions as to how to make these kinds of discs more wieldly, I'd love to hear from you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you are not making illegal copies, are you...?
    Music was my first love, and it will be my last
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nilfennasion

My suggestion would be to use DVD2One Movie only mode. Set size to 4380 MB and choose the first half of the chapters, audio and subtitles you want. For the 2nd disk choose the last half of the chapters etc.

All the chapter points will be intact but renumbered on disk 2.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1) No, I am not making illegal copies. I used to review video transfers, and as a consequence, I have plenty of discs lying around that have bodgy compression jobs applied to them.

2) So far, I have been using the Set Start/End Frames feature in DVDShrink, and found the results more than satisfactory. However, sometimes I wonder if adding screens to make the transition smoother might help. I'm also wondering if adding menus to enable the DTS soundtrack, or to tell the second disc to continue with it, is worthwhile.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nilfennasion

Are you trying to back up a full disk or a movie only copy on 2 disks? If movie only, do you want each disk to defualt to a specific audio track? If so, you don't need a menu.

What is the end result you want?

Chas
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Having just seen an ad that proclaims dual-layer recorders will be available here on the tenth of next month, I don't care which anymore. Once I get a drive that writes dual-layer burns, and can handle DVD-RAM as well as +R, it doesn't matter to me. I'll just make DL copies of discs where the main movie is over 5 GB in size.
    Quote Quote