VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Well its time for some new disc, my vacation is coming up and that usually means lots of catch up burning.

Recently a friend had a very bad Ritek experiance so I've decided to lay off of 'em for a while. On that note after reading around I decided to take a chance on a 50 pack of 4x Prodisc. Any other comments beyond the media reports?

Of course all my eggs are not in that basket, ordered 50 TY while I was at it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think LordSmurf has said that he used ProDisc and was very happy with them ... I've been tempted to try them myself but Taiyo Yuden 4x DVD-R discs keep going down in price so ... tempting but I'm still not "sold" just yet.

Let us know how they are after some burns

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    I think LordSmurf has said that he used ProDisc and was very happy with them ... I've been tempted to try them myself but Taiyo Yuden 4x DVD-R discs keep going down in price so ... tempting but I'm still not "sold" just yet.

Let us know how they are after some burns

Planned on it. I'll keep ya posted.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just received my order of Prodisc 4X DVD-R.
    Burns perfectly on my Liteon 811...Knock on wood...

Hope you have the same luck!!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Got a 50 pack of these too, so far so good on my Pioneer A07...

Kale
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Huyzel,can you do a kprobe test on those dvds and post the results?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Prodiscs are the best among the "cheap" discs.
    I used many of them, no easy coasters.
    Quote Quote  
  8. looks like yudens dropped 5 cents on rima, 1.35 ea.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by freestyler
    looks like yudens dropped 5 cents on rima, 1.35 ea.
    Yeah a friend of mine just got 100 of 'em in the mail. I've never burned one but from what I hear I dont expect problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I get about 5 coasters per 100, but I think it's caused from 4x on-the-fly copies (only time I see the errors). It's worth the loss to me for the added speed. That's about the same kill-rate for Maxell discs with that level of burn abuse. Off the HD, expect perfect burns about 98% of the time ... so far.

You can get these for 60 cents or less if you shop around and buy in large amounts (200+).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I get about 5 coasters per 100, but I think it's caused from 4x on-the-fly copies (only time I see the errors). It's worth the loss to me for the added speed. That's about the same kill-rate for Maxell discs with that level of burn abuse. Off the HD, expect perfect burns about 98% of the time ... so far.

You can get these for 60 cents or less if you shop around and buy in large amounts (200+).
    I figure they are price pretty nicely, I mean 100 is the most I EVER buy at a time, I simply do not go though disc fast enough to warrant larger purchases.

"Burn Abuse" I like that....
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by johns0
    Huyzel,can you do a kprobe test on those dvds and post the results?
    Here's One I did @8x in the Pioneer 07 Drive

Rick
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ClayBuster,thanks for the results,pretty good showings for a cheap medium,hope the dvd+r are the same.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0
    ClayBuster,thanks for the results,pretty good showings for a cheap medium,hope the dvd+r are the same.
    Not to good either really, but then you burned it at 8x which is beyond what the disc is suppose to do. Given that the results are very promising.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Flaystus,you said not to good either really?That kprobe readiing is very good considering 280 pi is the average max for best readability.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0
    Flaystus,you said not to good either really?That kprobe readiing is very good considering 280 pi is the average max for best readability.
    I've just never seen a P0 look quite like that before. Either way it reads as a usable disc. So I'm a little more happy with my decision to try them, hopefully everything will work out.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I have had good luck with the -R Prodiscs with ND-1300A, A04, and 106D drives.
    Quote Quote  
  18. having 100% success so far and have gone through 150 Prodisc S03s (whites and silvers).

the g04's are pretty pissy nowadays, as i finished up a stack and got a few coasters

i'll continue to use Prodisc unless the quality fades.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I've burned about 20 of my 50 pack of these ProDisc silver injets and I've only had one coaster. The coaster was my fault though, too many multitasks going on. Other than that one, all burned great and tested the good with dvdinfo
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well just now I went ahead and ordered a 50 pack of Prodisc 4x DVD-R silver matte from supermediastore.com

I have a NEC-ND1300A which burns DVD-R discs at 4x

I don't have a Lite-On drive but I will be sure to test these with DVDInfoPro using the READ ERROR test and the SPEED READ test.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Well just now I went ahead and ordered a 50 pack of Prodisc 4x DVD-R silver matte from supermediastore.com

I have a NEC-ND1300A which burns DVD-R discs at 4x

I don't have a Lite-On drive but I will be sure to test these with DVDInfoPro using the READ ERROR test and the SPEED READ test.

I've burned all my ProDiscs on the NEC1300A with no problems yet.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    All I use is TY too...... Post the results when you get em.
    Even a fool can be wise, all he has to do is keep his mouth shut
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Defcon
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    All I use is TY too...... Post the results when you get em.
    I will do that ... and yes I normally only use Taiyo Yuden or Maxell myself but what the hell everyone seems to be raving about these but still ... as much as I like the price ... it makes me a bit nervious hehehe

Quote Quote  
  24. I have some Prodisc S03 media that was made for the Legacy label. The Plextor 708a has no problem with it until the last 10 minutes and then read rate drops off the cliff. This is fairly typical with the Plextor and media it doesn't particularly like. It was the same issue with some Memorex-label Prodisc S03 media, only that was even worse.

I also have a Pioneer A07 burner, so I will just use the Prodiscs on that. To complete the collection, I also have a NEC burner, and that will burn those CMCF1 discs all day including Sunday and not complain a bit. Outside of the latest batch of TDK CMC media, Plextor will give you the finger with CMC stuff everytime.

It's bemusing to me that for best results, users should own multiple burners so they can find at least one compatible with the wide range of media out there.

For my Plextor, I've learned to stick with Ricoh, Maxell, Ritek G04, Sony, TY, and TDK-made media which it seems to be fine with.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Today was the first day RIMA was cheaper out the door than Supermediastore. So, I ordered prodiscs white from them.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by axolotls
    Today was the first day RIMA was cheaper out the door than Supermediastore. So, I ordered prodiscs white from them.
    Hmmm...The Prodisc white inkjet 50 pack is about $5 more
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Neat. RIMA just dropped their price also by $2 also.

Supermedia has 100s for $72 + free shipping + tax
    Rima has it -now for $60 + shipping + tax

Rima still is cheaper.

It bears repeating NEVER ORDER MORE DVD BLANKS THAN YOU NEED The price drops every time I fart.[/b]
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by axolotls
    Neat. RIMA just dropped their price also by $2 also.

Supermedia has 100s for $72 + free shipping + tax
    that's also with white paper sleeves for that price

without the sleeves they are $64 for the 4x white inkjet printable
    Quote Quote  
  29. Yep, you are correct. But who here uses paper sleeves? (w/o the paper sleeves they charge shipping)

I swear soon we'll be getting these for 50 cents a pop.

Anyhow, I usually go to three of the webstores when I need discs and go through the checkout on all three and pick the cheapest one. They all ship from within state, so I get stuff within two days (that's why I don't mind paying tax).
    Quote Quote  
  30. well i saw a report on cdrinfo last week i believe that said manufactureres believe dvd prices will botton out next quarter which means prices should either stay flat by then or start going up
    Quote Quote