VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i got an avi file that i want to encode into 23.97 fps mpg using TMPGEnc.

when it starts to encode it, the program suddenly freezes before it could start.

I checked the file in Gspot and VirtualDub
    and everything seems fine
    I can even play it in by WMP

this is the first time it happened to me. Other avi files of mine arent behaving like this one.

I cant remember anything that might screwed up the file except from the time that I renamed it.

anybody has a suggestion dealing with this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGEnc Plus has done that to me before. I just retried it a few times and it went through.

I know not much help, but it's always went through for me eventually.
    Quote Quote  
  3. i tried changing the vfapi priorities and now im getting sorts of errors now.

when i set the directshow to highest priority, the words inverted telecine showed up and i really dont want to encounter that again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you reading and writing to the same HD?

That's when I get my freezes. Or when my disc is heavily fragmented and that specific file that I am trying to encode is fragmented.

If it worked before I wouldn't mess with any of the settings or anything. The issue is with that specific file not with the program or the priority or direct show settings.

I would be more willing to bet on file fragmentation or read/write speed ability of the HD.

are you using TMPGEnc or TMPGEnc Plus?

Although, if you are converting frame rates, 29.97 to 23.97(?) it will be a more intensive operation and background programs may be eating up your resources.

Is 23.97 a typo? I don't think that is a standard frame rate...I thought PAL was 24 fps or 23.xxx (I forget) just asking, I'm not familiar with PAL.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by northcat_8
    Is 23.97 a typo? I don't think that is a standard frame rate...I thought PAL was 24 fps or 23.xxx (I forget) just asking, I'm not familiar with PAL.
    23.97 fps is NTSC Film - its fine for VCD. Pal is 25fps.

Buddha says that, while he may show you the way, only you can truly save yourself, proving once and for all that he's a lazy, fat bastard.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I meant 25 fps for PAL

Christ I'm retarded...I was thinking 23.97 and trying to remember where I had seen 24 fps and typed 24, and now I remember, "Film" frame rate in DVD2AVI is 23.xxx fps.....

Northcat_8
    Quote Quote  
  7. im using the tmpgenc plus.

my avi file is on my C drive and im encoding it to my E drive.

i still cant get it to work

do you think i should recopy the file by "right click copy" or by "virtualdub" then use that to encode?
    Quote Quote  
  8. i tried recopying the file by "right click copy" and still it wont encode.

i went to the "Common TMPGEnc Problems" and it says:

If you get an error message when opening like file unsupported or can not open or is not supported
    or you get an empty(black) video preview window
    or the video look wierd in the video preview window like green or purple or pink

Try first to change the directshow codec reader priority settings in TMPGEnc under Option->Environmental settings->VFAPI plug-in and right click on the DirectShow Multimedia File Reader and increase the priority to 2 or to the top of the plugin-list and try reopen the video.
    If that does not help be sure that you have installed DivX or XviD or MPG2 or DV Codecs, read here how to identify what codecs you need.

If TMPGEnc freezes or crashes when converting or you receive errors such as
    Unexpected decimal point calculation
    Illegal floating decimal point calculation order
    Write error occured at address 77F83AED of module "ntdlll.dll"

Try first to change the directshow codec reader priority settings in TMPGEnc under Option->Environmental settings->VFAPI plug-in and right click on the DirectShow Multimedia File Reader and increase the priority to 2 or to the top of the plugin-list and try reopen the video.
    If that doesn't help try repair/fix the video source, you find video repair/fix guides here (Downloaded video files could have bad/corrupt video frames that could cause crashes).

when i increased the DirectShow Multimedia File Reader to 2, i opened the file and the words "judging field order", then inverse process telecine shows up before encoding.

if i go to the settings and uncheck the Inverse Process Telecine, would it still encode the avi file properly into a good mpg file?
    Quote Quote