VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I,m new to this editing game and to be honest, I,m really struggling.
    I have used Windows Moviemaker 2 to capture and edit my footage.

I then rendered and burnt it to a DVD using Ulead DVD movie factory.

Unfortunately, when I play it on my standalone DVD player, any movement by people on the movie makes it break up. Its like someones added a wind effect to it. Can anyone help before I go nuts?

Many thanks in advance.

Jeff
    Quote Quote  
  2. It looks to me as if you need to do some background reading in order for you to understand properly the process you are trying to follow and to be able to explain what your problems are. Your post is just too vague to provide any concrete answers. I suggets you look to the left of the page and find the HOW TO sectio. Read some of the guides listed there in the various sections and try out some of there suggetstions. If you are still having difficulties come back and ask specific questions with as much detail as to the process you have followed to reach the stage you are at. Then someone may be able to help you find a solution.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i suggest not using windows movie maker. it's crap just like all standard windows software. but ofcourse this is only my opinion...
    Music was my first love, and it will be my last
    Quote Quote  
  4. So what do you suggest I use? Everything seems so complicated.
    Windows movie maker is simple but unfortunately it doesn't convert to Mpeg 2.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows Movie Maker is a piece of crap there are plenty of video capture and editing softwares out there Vegas Video is a free trial d/l (i think). Like Bugster said read read read, it's not that hard with a little effort.
    Quote Quote  
  6. OK, point taken. But what do you recommend?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jazzys
    OK, point taken. But what do you recommend?
    To a point I disagree with crusty and akbor75. Windows Movie Maker is fine for capturing DV video, as long as you configure it to capture the RAW DV and not encode it to WMV.

If you are capturing DV video (via firewire) other options for this part of the process are WinDV and DVIO, both freeware. If you are capturing analog video with a capture card take a look at virtualdub and use either the freeware huffyuv codec or an Mjpeg codec.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Its all well and good people rubbishing a certain product but if they can't suggest an alternative, then their argument is pretty hollow.
    Windows moviemaker doesn,t pretend to be a top notch editing suite, it's there for the masses who want to do some simple editing of home movies.

For the record, I am capturing digital video straight from my camera.

Thanks for all the constructive criticism.

J
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    okay here are my recommendations:
    for the beginning user i suggest pinnacle studio. really anyone can use that, and if you don't have complex wishes you can get good results.
    for the advanced user i suggest edit studio.
    both above mentioned programs are for capturing and editing.
    for authoring i suggest using dvdlab.
    (if you wanna know why exactly i can tell you more, or you can read my other posts.)
    Music was my first love, and it will be my last
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks for the reply. I first started out using Pinnacle but I found that the video and audio were out of sync, so I didn,t use it anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I,ve now used TMPGEnc to convert all my footage. It is now in M2V format. What else do I need to do to be able to burn it to DVD so that it is viewable on my standalone DVD. Is M2V another name for Mpeg2

Can I just drag and drop the M2V files in nero and burn to DVD?

Why is this so difficult.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jazzys
    I,ve now used TMPGEnc to convert all my footage. It is now in M2V format. What else do I need to do to be able to burn it to DVD so that it is viewable on my standalone DVD. Is M2V another name for Mpeg2

Can I just drag and drop the M2V files in nero and burn to DVD?

Why is this so difficult.

Thanks in advance.
    M2v is mpeg video, no audio. You need to extract the audio from the avi which Goldwave is very good for. You can then use the audio as is, if it is 48khz wav. For better space utilisation convert it to Ac3 or mp2 compressed format. Then you must author to DVD format. TmpGenc DVD Author or DVD-Lab are two verry good proggy's I would reccomend trying for this.
    Quote Quote