VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey all, I recently bought a nec2500a burner.

I flashed to herrie's 1.07b7 firmware, everything went fine.

I bought several different dvd media, memorex +/- and some ridata - discs.

Im using nero 6.3.xx and everything works well, I have the option of choosing to burn at up to 8x, but I stick with 4x.

Now this is what I'm wondering, how long should it take to burn 4.7gigs?

It takes me a good 30 minutues for completion.

My friend has a powermac and a liteon burner, takes him 15min. Someone else I know bought a sony burner (PC) and it also takes him 15min.

We are using the same media and at the same burning speed 4x.

Why is my burn speed so slow though?

I checked my channels and under primary- transfer mode is set to DMA if available and current is PIO mode (this is for my HD), the secondary channel (for my DVD burner)- transfer mode is set to DMA if available and current is ultra DMA mode 2.

I went into my bios but wasn't able to find an option to change/force my HD to DMA

The dvd burner is the only drive i have (no other cd rom/cdrw roms)

My computer specs are as follows

1.2 gig athlon
    256ddr ram
    k7ama mobo
    nec 2500a dvd burner

How do i get my burn speed from 30 to lower? like even 20mins?

Is it my ram that is not enough? or my CPU speed

thanks a lot~!

PS: Do I need to enable bitsetting? If so, how/where do I do that? for nero?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Am worred about the PIO for the hard drive. Actully the setting is not in the BIOS but in windows itself.

Also which OS are you running.

I have one on a 2.4ghz AMD and get about 15 minuts. Running W2k SP4 and the HD are running DMA along with the burnner.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by barqy
    transfer mode is set to DMA if available and current is PIO mode (this is for my HD), the secondary channel (for my DVD burner)- transfer mode is set to DMA if available and current is ultra DMA mode 2.
    That's your problem right there.

Your HD is in PIO mode, this restricts the speed of the DATA I/O on the hard drive controller.

The option in the bios is in a couple of spots, integrated options, and the basic setup (where it lists Primary and secondary drives).

If you've ever had a problem with your HD (failure to read or write to sectors) Windows will throw it back to PIO mode as a saftey net. You'll have to unistall your IDE controllers from device manager, and let windows reinstall them after restarting.
    Quote Quote  
  4. i did this (uninstalled the primary ide channel and rebooted) but when i restarted, i got an error in windows when it was attempting to reinstall the primary channel driver

The error i get is that ' hdc error driver is not intended for this platform"

What I did was this, my Western Digital HD comes with a 'ultra ata/100 management' disk and I ran that as well and I guess I 'enabled' DMA.

I tried to 'disable' it again (thru using the disk), but still I get this "hdc error driver is not intended for this platform" error

i switched back everything i changed and i still get this error~!

Anyone know how to fix?

There's a big yellow ! when I go into device manager and look at my primary IDE controller (actually that isnt even there anymore, just says 'unknown device')

EDIT: I ran nero info tool, it says DMA on the HD is now ON (off before)

I ran nero and burned a dvd in 14.30min!! so that works now ^^

I tried to locate drives for my IDE channel (i have a k7ama mobo) but couldn't come up with anything working.

Im running winxp

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can get drivers from the MB maker's website.

If it uses the VIA chipset, you can try the VIA4in1 drivers.

Is the HD connected to the mother board's onboard ide channels, or did you install the PCI card that came with your WD hard drive, and have the hard drive attached to this controller card?

If your drive came with a PCI controller,and you have it attached to this, it should be a Promise ATA 100/133 controller. Drivers are available at both www.promise.com and western digitals website for the card.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by disturbed1
    You can get drivers from the MB maker's website.

If it uses the VIA chipset, you can try the VIA4in1 drivers.

Is the HD connected to the mother board's onboard ide channels, or did you install the PCI card that came with your WD hard drive, and have the hard drive attached to this controller card?

If your drive came with a PCI controller,and you have it attached to this, it should be a Promise ATA 100/133 controller. Drivers are available at both www.promise.com and western digitals website for the card.

It only came w/ the HD, no controlelr card.

I went to the mobo website, d/led the IDE drivers for my mobo and restarted, then the thing wouldnt even boot up lol

Went back to 'last known configurations' and problem is still there.

everytime my comp restarts it says it has found new hardware, the HDC thing (what is this?), the primary controller, and the harddrive

I get the error on the HDC installation
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My best guess, is that you have a hardware conflict somewhere, or you have (not on purpose ) changed a setting perhaps in your BIOS to a bad setting.

If you check your management console, and choose disk management (right-click My Computer, choose manage option), look for rouge disks that have been mounted, but are no longer there ("missing", "corrupt"). Sometimes having missing volumes still in disk management can cause problems.

It doesn't hurt once you get things sorted out to run chkdsk (WinXP scandisk). Open a command propt (windows key-R and type cmd). The command for check disk is chkdsk. Type chkdsk /? for options. I use chkdsk C: /F /X /I .

Had this been my system, format c: . I do a fresh install once every 4-6 months.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hey all,

I just experienced the same issue last night. Nero was buffering like mad so I finally got fed up and looked on forum threads and noticed a few suggesting to look at the DMA settings. Sure enough one of the controllers (secondary) was set to PIO. How it got to that or what that even is I don't know. My primary was set to Ultra DMA and that was fine. So I tried to enable DMA on the secondary and it changed it but the current transfer rate still stated PIO. So I tried to reboot, still no go. I then noticed another thread that stated I should try to remove the controller and upon reinstall it will recofigure/reinstall. Well it did, but then I ran into the same cannot install this hardware HDC. Thinking there may be a conflict with the primary I uninstalled that as well. Only to have the same problem occur. Short of the old fdisk reformat and reinstall, does anyone have any suggestions? This is entirely frustrating...

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I had a similar sounding problem relating to this 'hdc' device. The key solution for me seemed to be installing the Via IDE Miniport driver.

Might be no use to you but I put up a quick webpage here:
    http://www.aqse76.dsl.pipex.com/hdc_driver_is_not_intended/
    Quote Quote