VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Do you use a firewall?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. me neither.

edit:
    Well actually, master boot sector viruses stay even after a HD reformat, or a new HD. Bad stuff. Friend had one a while back.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    but it's repairable if you pop the drive in a machine with a virus killer - still something you can recover from.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DivXExpert
    me neither.

edit:
    Well actually, master boot sector viruses stay even after a HD reformat, or a new HD. Bad stuff. Friend had one a while back.

I believe if you boot with a dos boot disk and then type Fdisk/mbr, this will replace your master boot record as well as wipe out any boot viruses.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    if it damages enough sectors, you are looking at replacing your hard drive. I dealt with that the other day, while working on someones computer. However, I am getting tired of this thread, so I am going to stop responding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sonicwall all the way.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't use a firewall. I rarely use virus scanning software (except to right click on downloaded exe files before running them) and don't have problems with viruses. Then again I never update any of Microsoft's crap OS systems (just use the basic install that came out originally) and don't use IE or Outlook for anything!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    don't use IE or Outlook for anything!
    That's truly a good advice, but could be extended - Latest attacs like Sasser and MSBlast infects your system without you using any of the above - but if you run a non MS OS you're safe (as things are now).

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  8. I use a Netgear Pro firewall at home and a Cisco Pix at work.

To the guy that has no firewall :

What you are doing is highly irresponsible. Infection may not be apparent to you but your machine may be being used by someone else in Denial of Service Attacks and the like, and you won't even be aware of it. You could be a contributir to the spread of infection as well, and again you won't even be aware of it.

We all have a duty to use the internet fairly and what you are doing is reprehensible and selfish. Please, for all our sakes install a firewall after all it costs nothing apart from a small use of your time to download and install.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Funny all this virus / firewall stuff. I too don't use any since the last 4 years. Still run good old Win 98se on a pent 500 on two computers. Does not miss a beat and I use them for..
    Internet
    Video edititing every day
    DVD authoring, 120 burnt in the last month without a single problem.
    3 big DVD productions for 1000 / 500 / 500 replicated projects
    Design web sites
    Professional Brouchures/ Flyers
    Multimedia CD deisgns

How do I do it. Well there are two rules.
    Never save anything to you c: or operating drive.
    Have a mirror image of you c: drive if it gets trashed or even burn it to a DVD. Even if you loose the drive completly you can lay down the mirror image straight onto the new drive. Easy. Why spend hours trying to figure out whats wrong when you can just boil the kettle and kick back while the mirror image gets layed back.

A virus may get to the other drives but it has never done any real damage to the data on the drives. Virus software bogs up your computer.

Yes I have had the worlds worse attacks ( computer wont boot etc) but its just a simple prosess to get it all running perfect again in a matter of minutes with a mirror image. Next well just look at what programs run on boot up or watch you data flow when hooked up on the net as that soon tells you if things are going in and out if you are not using any program.

It really is all very easy to live without virus software, but the computer shops or IT guys don't want you to find out about that.

4 years and going strong...
    Paul
    Quote Quote  
  10. Indeed. Ghost is a very useful programme. Also I don't have my machine connected to the internet very much. I do most of my surfing from work!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    so apart from the fact you can't use a file over 4 gigs and any new software gets wiped out every time you get a virus, that sounds great

a virus killer does NOT bog down your system. nor does it cost any money. grab the excellent AVG from www.grisoft.com and you'll see what i mean. i found that software on my own, it wasn't suggested by a computer shop or "IT guy".
    Quote Quote  
  12. flaninacupboard:
    don't know of any virus that can physically damage hardware
    There was one..a variation of the AntiCMOS virus.
    Saw the results myself on three mainboards and replaced
    two (one guy wanted a second opinion )

...he's dead Jim!

Anyway who cares about hardware? It's the data and the
    time consumed in setting things up the way you want it - that's the
    important part.

grab the excellent AVG from www.grisoft.com
    Agreed. One of the best and its free for personal use.
    I'd bundle stinger with that as well.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by DivXExpert
    me neither.

edit:
    What about a low-level format?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    linksys router and zonealarm
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Linksys router & Norton internet security pro 2004.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For those of you running more than 1 firewall, read this! --

http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2004/2004-04-26.htm#5

Comments?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Zero Knowledge is Great!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Matteo693
    For those of you running more than 1 firewall, read this! --

http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2004/2004-04-26.htm#5

Comments?
    Yes, for 2 software firewalls, but 1 software firewall like Kerio 2.1.5 in Gateway mode in conjunction with a hardware firewall (router, gateway) is better than a software or hardware firewall alone......
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use Trend Micro PC-Cillin firewall. I also seem to be the only person using it. I wonder if it's bad. I use PC-Cillin plus my router.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    trend micro on my pc at work - it does a full scan every friday at 16:55 though
    Quote Quote  
  21. I use Extreme DSL with Alcatel Modem, and a Netgear router. The router does have Network Address Translation, sort of a firewall.

But I have used Zonealarm for years. I use ZA Pro now. I don't trust hardware firewalls.

If you don't use a sofware firewall, you are really exposing yourself.
    Fred
    Panasonic DVD Recorder E50. (Standalone).
    Dlink DSM320 Media Lounge.
    Mitsubishi 50" 4:3 TV.
    Home built AMD XP2000 system with LG DVD Burner (WIN98SE).
    eMachines T3882 with Liteon DVD burner (WINXP).
    Quote Quote  
  22. Have ZoneAlarm V4... will try Kerio V2
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sygate here,if you have to reinstall winxp by deleting the partition then unplug your internet connection or there`s a good chance you will get infected when windows is installing its network.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Hardware (D-Link) and Software (ZoneAlarm). Belts and suspenders, as one can never be too safe.

I use ZoneAlarm as it is sometimes equally as important to know what is trying to get in from the Internet, as it is to know what is trying to get out onto the Internet.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hardware: Linksys
    SOftware: Network ICE (Only for my laptop)
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Been usin` ZA Pro for a while now...Works for me.

The Devil`s always.....in the Details!
    Quote Quote