VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Plextor has announced the imminent availability in Europe of the Serial ATA version of its internal 12x DVD writer. The PX-712SA DVD+/-R/RW will be available in June for around £129 plus VAT. An E-IDE version of the drive is scheduled for release in May.

SATA and E-IDE version of the PX-712 write DVDs at 12-speed and rewrite at 4-speed using the DVD plus format. With the DVD minus format, the drives write at 8x and rewrite at 4x. DVD-ROMs are read at 16x.

The main advantage of SATA over Parallel ATA (E-IDE) is greater bandwidth (150MB/sec). SATA interfaces support one device per controller connection, eliminating master/slave configuration jumper issues.

Both version of the PX-712 come with Ahead Nero, Ahead InCD, Pinnacle Studio 9, Cyberlink Power DVD and PlexTools Professional.

http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=displaynews&NewsID=4008
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    this will be obsolete pretty soon because the 16x dvd burners are about to come out.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How fast do you want it? Do you expect to burn a movie or game at 16X or even 12X for that matter? The 12-16 speeds are only for data if they even come out with DVD-Rs at that speed.

Movies or games will still require you to burn slow to avoid any corruption.

By the time they come out with 16X DVD-Rs there will be 32X DVD writer available, so what's your point?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    i mainly use dvd's to back up data, however, i do burn movies from time to time. I personally am okay with it taking an hour to burn, but right now it takes me 15 minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. So do you need SATA bandwith to do 16x?

Also 16x is the physical limits of DVdr, there will be no 32x, also DL limit is 4x from what I understand.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    you are preaching to the choir. I already know these things. I don't need that much speed, but i will buy the 16x burners when they come out. Speed is addictive, and I want more.
    Quote Quote