VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm preparing a new computer so I can backup all of my vhs tapes to DVD and after reading many of the threads I plunked down $365 for a new JVC 9911.

While I must say it plays some of my older tapes nicely, I have run into a ton of problems with this product. Within a week-and-a-half the display burned out on me and a week later the only way I can get the machine to power up is to unplug it, wait a few moments, and plug it back in.

All this and I haven't even received my new computer yet.

Just wondering if anyone else has had any problems with this particular model. I'm pretty skeeved since $365 is a lot of money to me and I figured I'd be getting a little sturdier product than what I got.

I guess I should have searched harder for some of the older models (9700, etc.) since I heard they were pretty darn good machines.

Thanks for any info.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like you got a lemon.

Unfortunately such things happen.

Better return it while you can for a replacement.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks.

I'm at the point where an exchange isn't going to happen (I've had it a month), so I will have it warranty repaired. It still plays tapes fine, so that's the important thing for me at this second.

Well, at least it plays fine for now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LittleJohnnyJackslap
    Thanks.

I'm at the point where an exchange isn't going to happen (I've had it a month), so I will have it warranty repaired. It still plays tapes fine, so that's the important thing for me at this second.

Well, at least it plays fine for now.
    Man this is just stupid. You should have returned it as soon as it started giving your problems.

Buy a new one from the same place ... maybe even somewhere else.

Then return the broken one for a refund if you can otherwise return it for a working model so you have two that work.

Then sell one on eBay if you only need one.

No reason for you to get stuck with junk if it has only been a month!

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Blame cheap parts and cheap labor on SOME of these new JVC SVHS VCRs. I don't really like the 9911 all that much, but there's not much else to get when you want new. The SR-V10U should be a bit better as far as workmanship, but not quite 9000 on quality.

The 9600-9800 was the best one.

Do what Fulci said.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Fulci, returning it was totally my original intention after the second problem, but unfortunately I was sent out of town last-second by my employer for a couple of weeks and am just home now.. I really didn't have anyone here that was able to take care of it.

It was just unfortunate timing and I'm paying for not jumping on it right when the first problem popped up.

Feel free to verbally abuse me. :P

And I will take your advice immediately.

J.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just got a new one on ebay. It has worked perfect for me. I had trouble using the TBC on an older wedding tape that was in terrible condition, but otherwise it has worked perfectly.

By the way, I only paid $173 for it.

You can kill me later.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You suck.

I paid $368 for mine.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got the jvc SR-10U which is similar but a little less of a model to your vcr. I had the exact same thing happen. It just blanked out. No buttons could be pressed to revive it. Finally I disconnected power and reconnected power and now it has worked fine for 6 months. Maybe that is why there were so many refurbised of these models.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you thought of sending it to JVC for warranty repair?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BrainStorm69
    Have you thought of sending it to JVC for warranty repair?
    Screw that. Buy a new one. Put the old one in that box. Return it. Keep the new one.

No reason he should be stuck with a non-working model that is only approximately 1 to 1 1/2 months old especially when it sure doesn't sound like user wear and tear ... sounds like the poor guy has hardly used it!

Quote Quote