VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !

Poll: Computer Problems, What Do You Do First?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Try To Fix It Myself
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    same...
    is it a problem when you post in a topic that was created in a day thats in the future?!

hahahahah April 29th. Yet its April 28th today
    I realize we are in different time zones, just thought it was funny
    Quote Quote  
  3. Try to fix it myself at first.

If it's hardware related though I just take it back to the shop to get them to repair it for free under warranty.
    Quote Quote  

4. If I can, I first seek help or advice from someone online (depending on how big the problem is)...then I'll attempt to fix it myself....if that doesn't work, I'll call a friend for help...then seek help from tech support if it's still unfixable.

The last resort is to take it to a repair shop...I try to avoid that as much as possible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try to fix em myself now... that pc world article was very helpful, didnt know what i was doing before then.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I fix other people computers so when mine goes down I.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try to fix it myself
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Never had a problem that I couldn't fix..............eventually. And yes, I get fed up with all my friends and family using me as free tech support,
    Spence.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've built about 10 so far, so I fix it myself. I have went through; 2 fried PS's, 3 dead MB's, 4 or 5 dead memory modules, 4 dead HD's, 2 dead CD ROM's, 2 fried monitors, 2 dead floppy drives, Innumerable screwed up OS's, most of which I screwed up myself. Fun hobby, keeps me off the streets. Just installing XP into number 11 tonight.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1st, remove anything Microsoft.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    then 2nd would be remove anything made by roxio
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    I've built about 10 so far, so I fix it myself. I have went through; 2 fried PS's, 3 dead MB's, 4 or 5 dead memory modules, 4 dead HD's, 2 dead CD ROM's, 2 fried monitors, 2 dead floppy drives, Innumerable screwed up OS's, most of which I screwed up myself. Fun hobby, keeps me off the streets. Just installing XP into number 11 tonight.
    Redwudz, with that record...? You're fired!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I build up my own PCs, and I fix up all the problems that may occur

I also have 2 Discs just right the corner always: One with Win2K and another with all the programs I have to install after I repait the - once in daily base - "format C" religion root.

But after installing W2K I re - format only occasionally . Every 2 - 3 months or so. Don't mention that PCs are now fast, so the whole proccess take place in less than 1 and a half hour...

Where are the days of my 486 and win3.11 ... I spent many happy hours installing and formating those days.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I always fix it myself.
    I Have Always Been Here

Toshiba Regza 37Z3030D, Toshiba HD XE1 + EP-10 ( Both Multiregioned), Samsung BD-P1500 Blu Ray. OPPO DV-983H
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I'm in a hurry (as often I am) its off to the backup computer.
    I find repairs usually happen better after a few (often more) amber ales have been consumed :P

This is one of the better polls for a while!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Having built quite a few PCs now I can fix most hardware faults given time. Windows faults, I tend to boot into Linux and get the job done!

My PC that I built about six weeks ago hasn't gone wrong at all yet, touch wood.

Cobra
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Defenitely self-fix.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Been fixing PCs since the 486 days. Started building them from scratch when they became cheap enough for me to build around 1996.

I'm a "Do It Yourself / F' It Up Yourself" kind of guy.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I sacrifice a live chicken to the computer gods, and then I get drunk.
    member since 1843
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Do it myself. I change PCs every two years, so it's always under warranty if I cannot fix it. I've had to come up with some top-shelf excuses when I take it back to the shop though
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been working on computers since 1972. I build and repair my own computers along with helping the neighborhood with their computer problems.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Do or do not, there is no try.

I do my own computer repairs.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I fix my own, but I do have backup computers if I have to get the job done. But since it's a hobby, it's not really a "job" now is it?

Amazingly, I have few (if any) computer problems. Using top quality name brand components goes a long way. Also, keeping my A/V machine isolated from the internet helps.

My dad buys all his computer shit from this flea market style computer show that comes to the civic center every month or so. He is always having problems with his computer.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by ricky1756
    I sacrifice a live chicken to the computer gods, and then I get drunk.
    That's great, man! :P

The first thing I do is let out a long string of obscenities. Then I fix it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by indolikaa
    The first thing I do is let out a long string of obscenities. Then I fix it.

Me too. Thats why I only use the pc when the kids have gone to bed!
    Spence.
    Quote Quote  
  27. "Computer Problems, What Do You Do First?"

Same thing I do when I upgrade a MAC. Pick it up, throw it away, and go buy a new one.

No offense to MAC people though. If you've seen the "apple gamer" clip, you'll know what I'm talking about.

But really, I always try to fix it myself since I'm the one that puts it together. Plus its fun tinkering with the insides of a computer.
    Do you remember when TMPGEnc needed an English patch?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Personally, i like to just switch to the backup puter - it's easier. Of course, you eventually have to get around to fixin' the thing though. Instead of live chickens, i prefer to use PriceSaver chicken chunks; almost as good and a whole lot cheaper As for tmpgenc, yes i not only remember the patch, but also still have version 12a & the english patch! And i do have a LEGIT copy of the tmpgencplus version also, a great program!

I wonder when tgpo will come out with a brand of sacrificial poultry for us?

Have fun stormin' the castle!

Rog
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by burnman99
    I wonder when tgpo will come out with a brand of sacrificial poultry for us?
    Today actually

Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I fix it myself if it is a hardware problem, If it is a software problem and wont bootup I pop my BartPE cd in and try to work it out.

hootie29
    Quote Quote