VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. This might not be the right place to ask but I bought a brand new Sony DVD Player tonight and I am trying to import video through my Canopus ADVC110. However it comes through looking like this:

I have a Mac G5, Specs: (If I need more, or I posted this in the wrong place, please let me know, I am completely new to this.)

Hardware Overview:

Machine Model: Power Mac G5
    CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
    Number Of CPUs: 2
    CPU Speed: 2.5 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.25 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: 5.1.8f7

DIMM0/J11:

Size: 512 MB
    Type: DDR SDRAM
    Speed: PC3200U-30330

FireWire Bus:

Speed: 800 Mb/sec Speed

ADVC-110:

Manufacturer: Canopus
    Model: ADVC-110
    Unit Spec Id: 41005
    Speed: 400 Mb/sec Speed
    Unit Software Version: 10001

FireWire Device:

Speed: 400 Mb/sec Speed

GeForce 6800 Ultra:

Type: display
    Bus: AGP
    Slot: SLOT-1
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0040
    Revision ID: 0x00a1
    ROM Revision: 2119

Display:

Type: display
    Display Type: LCD
    VRAM (In Use): 256 MB
    Resolution: 1680 x 1050
    Depth: 32-bit Color
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Mac G5 -OSX-
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1. Yes, this is the wrong place to post it.
    2. That looks like it is due to Macrovision copy protection. While the copy protection feature could be turned off on the ADVC-100, I do not think it can be disabled on the 110 - check the Canopus forums for more info.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have Toast 6. To burn a movie spread out over 2 DVD's do I need to get the expensive upgrade to 7? and is there a better software than Toast or is Toast as good as it gets? thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Videohelp.com used to have a link to a video converter, which, I think, is vixynet software. It enabled inserting a url such as a Utube FLV that it converted to mac readable fine and downloaded. This converter link is no longer online and I am absolutely devastated. Can you help?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to use iMovie to edit video files ripped from a DVD with Mac the Ripper. Is this even possible? (Ultimately, I'd like to burn the edited result to a DVD-R using iDVD, or Roxio Popcorn, or whatever.) This will be used to assemble a DVD of short bits of various films, to be used to illustrate a lecture on film technique.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    galactica or anyone,
    Do you happen to have anything on going from Final Cut DV stream to Mpeg2 program and how to take care of the one or two frame additions that happen in the transcoding?
    I have used Main Concept MPEG encoder to convert the DV stream to MPEG2 program and it seems that the file is 2 frames longer. Same thing when using Compressor. The program on the time line looks like it ends exactly to the second with no frame and I cant figure this out. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WOWWWWWWW.....

I am kind of spellbounded right now... I just signed up and registered to this forum because I can't believe anyone has said nor done anything about this yet....

Can you seriously tell me, from trying to find out how to burn a DVD movie to DVD r on mac, going from CDfreaks - to MAC the Ripper - to this forum and this is the last stop, that you are SERIOUSLY telling me this is the ONLY complete tutorial list for mac that was last updated in 2004????

Do you understand what kind of an impact on a community this HAS??? Seriously dude, I can't even believe reading ur beginner tuts, that you expect some of these "Beginners" to all of a sudden swap out DVDbackup for Mac the Ripper when they in NO WAY at all inter-relate in interfaces.... I mean dude, c'mon now give the newbies a chance at least and make the tutorials right!

I write for CDfreaks about 5 times a year and have helped the burning community for windows become what it is today... But seriously bro, I am really surprised by the lack of knowledge in the MAC community for this subject...

Please take a day to update ur DVD - DVD r tut with the MAC the Ripper replacement, Screenshots and all... And guess what? U will become the MAJOR Contributer to a new era of users, not to mention the amount of hits this page could possibly ever get.... PLEASE PLEASE please, put some effort into your work bro, this is just absolutely pathetic....

Either that or some of your mac users need to contribute the tutorial... I myself am not a mac user, but have a friend who would like me to find him a Tutorial and man, he wouldn't be able to figure this out at all!

I am sure just reading, there is a MUCH easier 2 step process that could be talked about *not speaking like i know* but i am sure there is a way to use say, MAC the Ripper and then Popcorn 3 to compress and Burn.... I mean.... that tut would be great!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @crimesonverbs

"bro" you have to be borderline retarded to not understand how to rip a dvd on a mac. If your buddy is in need of a mac tutorial "bro," here is one. For screenshots, open the programs and look at them.

A step by step method. Once you complete a step, move onto the next number.
    1.) put disc in computer (in the dvd drive)
    2.) open mac the ripper (double click the icon)
    3.) click "go" (one click is good)
    4.) after it's done open the program dvd2onex (again, double click)
    5.) click the option for it to fit onto a single dvdr (single click to check off the option)
    6.) choose save as image (single click)
    7.) open toast 6 or 7 (uh-oh another double click!)
    8.) click burn from image (you guessed it, a single click)
    9.) eject the original dvd, put in blank dvdr (you may have to remove the dvdr from a spindle first)
    10.) click burn (hooray!)

If you don't have toast, use mac image burner (included with mac os - in the utilities folder), if you don't know how to use that - buy Toast.

Seriously it is not hard to do this, I taught my mom, "bro." I contribute to nothing about 100 times a year but felt the need to post a tutorial your friend could understand, you know, to really contribute to a new era "bro."
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a question about fitting a ripped DVD9 to a DVD5. Which is the best application for this to get the best quality from the compression? I have heard that you have to be careful of which application to use. Some just transcode and others re-encode, which is better and have less of the effect of pixelating (blocky images).
    —Is DVD2One the best application for this? (I don't have it yet but if it is, I’m planning to get it)
    —I have Toast 7 and it has the Option feature “Fit-to-DVD video compression”. I have tried burning a DV9 to DVD5 w/ this and it does have some pixelation but it's still decent. Is this as good as DVD2One or DVD2One is better? Other applications?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Does either Popcorn 3 or Visual Hub convert MKV or M2TS files to apple tv format or Xbox 360 format (WMVHD) w/ 5.1 audio ?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It’s kind of hard to believe this dead/useless thread is a sticky. Not one single link in the first post works. Would someone please remove or update this sticky please.
    Quote Quote