VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Blue Laser Products Emerge

Sony and others ready high-capacity next-generation storage systems.

High-capacity DVDs based on blue laser technology are still a ways off for consumers, but video professionals may soon get their hands on the new storage technology. Sony expects to release its blue laser rewritable DVD drives in the U.S. in June.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    then we go into a whole new format war between blu-ray and hddvd
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Id pick Blue Ray... sounds better and its Blue :P
    Next Generation Classic......
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    you know double layer blanks are just now coming out, and they are going to be eclipsed by blu-ray and hddvd. Am I the only one who thinks this is sad?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    should technology stay where it is to keep you happy?
    member since 1843
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    no. but double layer might as well be vaporware
    Quote Quote  
  7. I know I'm a lot more interested in Blue Ray and other such products than in dual layer....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I am too. I just think the manufacturers are getting too far ahead of themselves. We have faster burners but we do not have the media to match. Dual layer is not out yet. Then the next wave is out before the blanks to accompany them come out.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    But if Company A has a product, which they can't get to market quickly enough to satisfy anyone, and if Company B comes out with a better product in the interim, should we say "No, we want to spend our money on Company A's product, first, hang back, even join them for a while, then we'll bend over for you, too, and provide our own Vaseline."?

Get the best you can get at the least you have to pay.

The whole idea of dual layer seems to me to be verrrry difficult to do!.

Now, dont you wish the 8X DVD burners came out first, or the 52X CD burners?

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    that is an interesting question, but cd burners had a healthy lifespan before dvd burners saw the light of day. Now every product's lifespan is getting shorter. Technology's forward progress is relentless. However I will probably buy a blu-ray drive(being a early adopter). I like being on the bleeding edge as much as possible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just because a format offers more size doesn't mean its going to succeed. 2.88Mb floppy drives and even the 20Mb floppy drives never replaced the 1.44Mb floppy drive.

Double layer DVD R's and DVD RW's are suppose to be compatible with your existing DVD players and rom drives and therefor are likely to succeed when the price point is reached for the blanks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by gitreel
    I am too. I just think the manufacturers are getting too far ahead of themselves. We have faster burners but we do not have the media to match. Dual layer is not out yet. Then the next wave is out before the blanks to accompany them come out.
    Realistically, I don't think the newer blue-ray devices will be widely available, and affordable for a couple of years. But then I could always be wrong on that....
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm into hanging on to my current standalone DVD player for a wile, seeing as I only bought it on boxing day 2003....! And I imagine others feel the same.

Therefor, I'll go with double layer for authoring DVD's. Blue-ray sounds good for data storage, but how badly do I need to store everything on 1 disk?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Holographic disks will surpass these technologies offering hundreds of gigabytes in storage.

As with all new technology, how long must you wait for the prices to come down
    Mantisgeek
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Blue Ray is neat, but there isn't anything available that will play the discs just yet. To take advantage of the system, you'd have to also have an HDTV capable television. Not many people currently have/can afford those. I'd give it a couple of years before getting your panties in a fringe.

Hollywood will take a limited stake in it around 2005/2006. Which is the same time the FCC moves the US to all HDTV broadcasting.

DVD still has a good life span ahead of it. Look at VHS, it is still rented and sold today. Given that anyone can own a DVD player for ~$40, no one just yet will make the jump to the next tech., when the current one is pretty damn good.

After all, it only took DVD 10 years to get to where it is today.

The geatest next tech hardly ever takes off. Look at SACD, DVD-Audio, Laser Disc, and even CDI. These just never caught on. Though CDI (VCD) is popular with hobbiest. Being the first out is also (in history) the least likely winner. Look at the gaming industry - 3DO, NEO-GEO, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast. These all had the same/better abilities as the consoles that came out after they did, but, the above all tanked.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I may be wrong,
    but i cant see the public going out an spending $$$$ on a new format when most people have and are still upgrading from VHS to DVD.
    Also Hollywood would be hard pressed to get the majority to buy a new format of videos when weve all spent our hard earned cash on getting a library of DVD's ( I have about 300 VHS tapes and now about 250 DVD's)

I know some people who cant see much diff between VHS & DVD (personally I think they are blind), do you think these and many others will see the quality diff between DVD and HD DVD (or whatever it is/will be)on there cheap 50 or 59cm TV.

That said always like a quality picture on my projector, but I think DVD does well for a 100" screen.

Just my opinion though
    Quote Quote  
  17. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gitreel
    you know double layer blanks are just now coming out, and they are going to be eclipsed by blu-ray and hddvd. Am I the only one who thinks this is sad?
    I considered that too, but by the time blu-ray and hddvd are practical, dual-layer might just have gotten a foothold. Then the blue laser products are going to have to have a dual-layer of their own in the works to lure people away from DVD-9DL, IMHO.

Time will tell and this upcoming year looks to be exciting
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by djelimon
    I'm into hanging on to my current standalone DVD player for a wile, seeing as I only bought it on boxing day 2003....! And I imagine others feel the same.
    I agree. The DVD we have now is still very new to a majority of people. Look how long the VCR has stayed with us. The consumer-at-large does not want to change their movie watching/recording device every 3 years. Until the market comes out with something demonstrably better, the DVD will not be replaced.

HDTV might be the only thing that could prove my above theory wrong. Maybe.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by andkiich
    Originally Posted by djelimon
    I'm into hanging on to my current standalone DVD player for a wile, seeing as I only bought it on boxing day 2003....! And I imagine others feel the same.
    I agree. The DVD we have now is still very new to a majority of people. Look how long the VCR has stayed with us. The consumer-at-large does not want to change their movie watching/recording device every 3 years. Until the market comes out with something demonstrably better, the DVD will not be replaced.

I personally feel that HDTV is going to tank, for the reasons you give. Just like Laser Disc and Beta tanked. It's a better way but that doesn't guarantee success.

The average person doesn't care about 1080i or progressive scan. The average person only looks at the price tag and unless they get more realistic, they won't sell many. People will probably opt to just use a converter and continue buying standard TV sets after the cutoff date. Just my opinion ...I could be wrong, but I don't think so.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I highly doubt the FCC is gonna say like, "As of 1/1/2006, all TV stations must give up their VHF or UHF analog channels and start broadcasting on ATSC." I'm figuring they'll be a grace period where they'll simulcast for awhile. Even so, I read that HDTV sets will also support an "SDTV" mode for backward compatability. It'll be a 525/30 mode so old NTSC material can be viewed (although changed to digital by the TV).

Talking about old formats, my video collection comprises of not only VHS tapes, but a huge collection on Beta, along w/ some Laserdiscs and a sizeable collection of the old RCA Selectavision (CED) videodiscs (there's a format that lasted no more than 5 years). And I'm not about to can any of it any time soon. Added to that is about 150 DVD's.

What about audio? How many of us still have huge collections of LP's? To me, a turntable is still an essential part of any stereo system.

My father is a case-in-point: He always borrowed tapes from the local library but mentioned last year that they have built-up a sizeable DVD offering. So I got him a DVD player this past Xmas. Now this had to be somehow connected to a 25-year-old Zenith 19" TV w/ rotary tuners. Tried via his VCR but the stinking Macrovision made the picure nearly unwatchable (just going through the line-in, not even being recorded). So out to the RatShack for an RF modulator. The quality doesn't look too much better than a tape on that old TV, but he simply wants to watch the film. Period.
    Like a flea circus at a dog show!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    wow you are old school. I have records but no player to play them. You wouldn't happen to have an 8-track player would you? For some inexplicable reason I want one. I guess I could get on e-bay, but my wife banned me from e-bay.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by disturbed1
    After all, it only took DVD 10 years to get to where it is today.

The geatest next tech hardly ever takes off. Look at SACD, DVD-Audio, Laser Disc, and even CDI. These just never caught on. Though CDI (VCD) is popular with hobbiest. Being the first out is also (in history) the least likely winner. Look at the gaming industry - 3DO, NEO-GEO, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast. These all had the same/better abilities as the consoles that came out after they did, but, the above all tanked.
    DVD has been around less than 8 years (1996).

The Neo-Geo was hugely popular and was first introduced in July of 1990. It's useful life spanned more than 10 years. I have one with about 12 games.

The Sega Dreamcast only died because Sega's poor management abandoned it. It was a great console. I also have one and about 20 games.

Time will tell if SACD or DVD-Audio make it. There aren't enough affordable players around that will play these discs.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IMHO unless the film companies release thier movies on blue ray there will not be any consumer uptake, ie blue ray will be dead in the water unless this happens.
    Who cares about new formats any way until they actually exist and are making some sort of inpact in the market place?
    Does any one remember the cassette v cartridge wars, beta v vhs, dcc v dat v mini disc ? The best format does not always win, but the product that has the best consumer uptake wins. At this moment that is dvdr.
    I wil not be rushing out to buy any new FORMATS unless they are very widely used and at the moment that is dvd, (MAYBE dvd-dl eventually!).
    I wont even buy a stand alone dvd recorder until they incorpatate DIGITAL tuners. My vhs recorder will suffice until then!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Capmaster
    Originally Posted by andkiich
    Originally Posted by djelimon

I personally feel that HDTV is going to tank, for the reasons you give. Just like Laser Disc and Beta tanked. It's a better way but that doesn't guarantee success.

The average person doesn't care about 1080i or progressive scan. The average person only looks at the price tag and unless they get more realistic, they won't sell many. People will probably opt to just use a converter and continue buying standard TV sets after the cutoff date. Just my opinion ...I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

I have a sony 65 inch Hdtv and most people who see it on a hd channel are amazed on how much better it looks than a normal tv. all of the tv networks have atleast one show in hd at night. and there is more and more every day.
    you will be able to buy a converter but at current prices it cost $300 to $1000+ for a hd tuner it will be cheaper to buy a new tv. you can get a
    26 hd widescreen tv for less than $600 now.

And all tv's sold will be atleast hd ready

btw all tv 36 inches or larger will have to be digital and have a built in tuner by next summer 2005
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by WeedVender
    Id pick Blue Ray... sounds better and its Blue :P
    Bluetooth
    Your miserable life is not worth the reversal of a Custer decision.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The one advantage that blue ray has that may get it going in the market is that the disks will be physically the same size and shape as the DVD and this will mean that as the price comes down, the customer may be tempted to pay the little extra to get a blue ray compatible dvd device, even though the primary objective was dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Whatever!

I still haven't made the official transition from VCD/SVCD/CVD to DVD. It's still fun to make movies and TV shows on Compact Disc.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mikesbytes
    The one advantage that blue ray has that may get it going in the market is that the disks will be physically the same size and shape as the DVD and this will mean that as the price comes down, the customer may be tempted to pay the little extra to get a blue ray compatible dvd device, even though the primary objective was dvd.
    Good point. Also consider things like storage - the nice thing about DVDs is you can store them in CD cases. Most of my collection resides in the slim 5mm CD cases which are dirt-cheap. Why would I use a tall and thick DVD case that costs more and takes up more space? The same with Blu-Ray if it has the same form factor as CD/DVD
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by Capmaster
    Why would I use a tall and thick DVD case that costs more and takes up more space?
    Because the artwork looks ******* cool.
    Quote Quote