VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, I hope these aren't repeated questions.

#1: I did a quick search and didn't see the answer to this one. I found this line in a review at CDRLabs.com (http://www.cdrlabs.com/articles/index.php?articleid=29&page=3):

"Like with the LVW-5001, the audio recorded through the LVW-5005's TV tuner is mono only."

Is there any truth to this? I did some (again, brief) searching on the web and hadn't found anyone else repeating this tidbit. I purchased a unit yesterday and haven't had a chance yet to test this out. That would be a real bummer to find this fairly leading edge bit of technology not supporting the capture of broadcast stereo sound. Any insight would be appreciated.

#2: Is the heat issue that's so frequently discussed about the 5001 enough of a problem that I should get the 5005? I don't see a major benefit in having support for the other DVD formats nor the VCD/SVCD authoring capability, at least not enough to spend the extra $100.

Thanks to all in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I answered #1 myself by making an "audio channel identification" tape on my VCR then broadcasting it on channel 3 to the 5001. Sure enough, mono only. What a crock!

No input from anyone on #2? Should I return this thing and go for the 5005?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have two 5001s and love them. True... the tuner is mono only, but I work around that with my VCR for important recordings.

There are heat issues with the 5001. I only had a problem with one of my units although the other still did get very warm. LiteOn has agreed to add a fan if you contact them, but I didn't want to send my recorders away for modification. After carefully removing the covers, I drilled a row of ventilation holes on each side. Both recorders now do not get as warm and work perfectly.

The best (undocumented) features are the ability to change the region code and turn off any recognition of copy protection from DVD or VHS sources. I can now record any DVD or VHS tape without the recorder giving me the "copy protected" warning and stopping and I can also now watch any DVD from any region.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Are you happy with your 5001 overall? Costco has them for about $220, which is the best price I've seen for any recorder so far...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm happy with the unit so far (only had it for 3 days), though it's locked up several times (hitting the power button solved the problem). I'm sure a firmware update would probably solve these problems, it would also get rid of my ability to disable Macrovision, and we can't have that! I have a bunch of kids video tapes that I want to transfer to DVD and that makes it possible.

It's a bit slow to do certain things (in my opinion) though that might simply be a misunderstanding of how this unit compares to other manufacturers' devices.

I wish there was a better ability to edit recordings. I often record several minutes before and after a show just to handle the my clock/their clock issue. For shows I want to archive it would be nice to be able to trim the beginning and end. Also, it would be nice to add chapter entries after the fact. I suppose there's some software out there that would let me handle this on my PC, and that may be perfectly acceptable.

The thing I'm most pleased about is that my two other DVD players (one is a Mintek portable) can recognize the DVD+RW's, meaning I'm not stuck with only being able to view the recordings I make on the 5001 alone. The home player (a Sony) also recognizes the DVD+R's.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by JohnnyCNote
    Are you happy with your 5001 overall? Costco has them for about $220, which is the best price I've seen for any recorder so far...
    Even with the few quirks, for the price, I'm definitely satisfied.

Also, the copy protection hack works with firmware up to 1141. This firmware has solved the clock/ timing issue and I have had zero lock-ups since switching to name-brand media like Fuji, Ritek, TDK, Sony, and Maxell.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a way to identify what version of firmware is currently loaded on the unit?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Press SETUP and you should see the entire serial number. The second set of numbers after the first dash is the firmware version.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the tip. Do you know of an archive of firmware releases so I can get the latest one with macrovision hack intact (prior to 1141)?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Try this...

http://www.liteonit.com/DC/english/download/index.asp

Enter 1135 or lower as the second set of numbers to get firmware 1141 which is the latest that allows the copy protection hack. Firmware later than 1141 (I believe there is only 1143) has removed the copy protection hack.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    RowMan, thanks for all your help! I'll do this when I get home this evening!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 5001 is known to meltdown (no fan). The 5005 fixed this.

These use the LSI encoder chips. I consider this to be the best quality encoder chip in the DVD recorder market at this time. Superb quality over all others.

Until the JVC DVD recorders (sans VHS) are released, this is my #1 pick, the LiteOn 5005.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    These use the LSI encoder chips. I consider this to be the best quality encoder chip in the DVD recorder market at this time.

Just to show my ignorance here I'll ask, "Why"? What makes the LSI chip superior to, say, Zoran?

I recall reading some sort of press release concerning the LSI chips and it stated they were $25 in quantity. That leaves me wondering how it is that a chip costing a mere 25 bucks can make that much of a difference.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It performs high quality at even a lowly 352x480 2.5 MB/s (4-hour) quality, unlike almost every other recorder chipset out there. It also has pre-processing of some sort (whether it be on the boards, or the chip itself) on it that tends to clean up video even better than the TBC found in the Panasonics.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Thanks for the explanation!

Just curious, what about firewire transfers? I can only speculate as to whether they would go through the TBC on the Panasonic machines but does the LSI chip process those signals as well?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tag
    Thanks for the explanation!

Just curious, what about firewire transfers? I can only speculate as to whether they would go through the TBC on the Panasonic machines but does the LSI chip process those signals as well?
    I don't think the firewire input goes through the TBC since the firewire isn't true A/V but rather just a file transfer. The signal has to be video for the TBC to be of any use.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Capmaster
    I don't think the firewire input goes through the TBC since the firewire isn't true A/V but rather just a file transfer. The signal has to be video for the TBC to be of any use.

So could that account for the varying opinions re PQ with firewire v analog with respect to miniDV footage?

Intuitively, one might think firewire transfers would result in better PQ than analog but some suggest otherwise.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on what aspect of PQ. I know 4:1:1 doesn't always play nice.

Regarding the LSI pre-processing, I'd bet it does. It entirely removes chroma noise from my SVHS and VHS tapes. It blew me away. I saw a Panasonic choke on the EXACT SAME scenario.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Another question I have is regarding the extra low speed recording quality. Is it equivalent to LP on VHS, or worse?

The 5005 is very interesting....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyCNote
    Another question I have is regarding the extra low speed recording quality. Is it equivalent to LP on VHS, or worse?

The 5005 is very interesting....
    The LP mode on the LSI encoder chip is still better than SP VHS. There is not any real noticeable difference. Instead of using 720x480 VBR DC10 5.5 MB/s, you half it to 352x480 VBR DC10 2.5 MB/s. It's true hardware quality CVD spec, Half D1 for DVD. Can't beat that, at least when the encoder chip holds up it's end of the deal. You also get AC3 256k audio.

The LiteOn 5005 is nice for sure, but also keep your eyes on the new JVC line.

The SP mode recording is better than SVHS.

Only thing worse is 6-hour mode because the inherency of the digital x240 format deinterlaces. No way around that, 6-hour mode sucks on every single recorder out there because of it.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    RowMan, just wanted to triple check that 1141 will still allow Macrovision bypass (before I go and ruin it, then get really pissed off at myself for doing it ). Please confirm!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Yes. 1141 is the latest firmware that will allow you to turn Macrovision (and CGMS/a) recognition off.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks once again, RowMan!
    Quote Quote  
  24. I've seen in the Player Hacks section in this forum different ways to make my LVW-5001 (bought in Germany) Region Code Free. Which one should I use? Also, will Lite-On install a fan to fix the heat problem without cost to me?
    Quote Quote  
  25. lordsmurf:

Thanks mucho!

While the 5005 sounds very interesting, I'd be happy with a single format. I've been waiting for DVD recorders to get down to $200, although I'm not in a great hurry. That being said, I'd be happy with the features of the 5001, but if the 5005 were to drop to $200 in a few months, I could also hold out. If I get it at Costco, then I'll always be able to return it in the future. I have a Dish Network DVR and want to transfer some movies to disk. I was also thinking of putting multiple movies on one disk, but that's not as important since disks are cheaper now. How good (or bad) is the EP(4 hr) mode?

Finally, how compatible are disks recorded on the 5001 with other players?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by JohnnyCNote
    lordsmurf:

I was also thinking of putting multiple movies on one disk, but that's not as important since disks are cheaper now. How good (or bad) is the EP(4 hr) mode?

Finally, how compatible are disks recorded on the 5001 with other players?
    I routinely back up 2 DVDs (less than 2 hours each obviously) on to one DVD +RW. I personally can't rell the difference between the original and the backup. Your mileage may vary.

Tom
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 4-hour mode is excellent in the LSI chips. I really cannot tell the difference between it an a 2-hour mode. The only real time I can see noise is high action with LOTS of detail. Wrestlemania looks pretty bad because of the crowd detail and the fast action. But that's the ONLY disc to date I've made an not been happy with on the recorder.

You may be able to go to a Walmart and grab a floor display APEX for $200. It'll be $248, but a quick talk to the manager may yield good results. I recently got a second APEX off eBay for $100, and it's fine. I now have one in my bedroom for lazy hobby recording, and then one in the office for work.

The DVD+RW format for DVD-Video recorders is one of the best accepted formats for playback. The RW Alliance finally has something to be proud about, those DVD+RW discs are great.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    The DVD+RW format for DVD-Video recorders is one of the best accepted formats for playback. The RW Alliance finally has something to be proud about, those DVD+RW discs are great.
    Totally agree.

I have 5001 and I recorded a bunch of D8 tapes to DVD+RW disks using FireWire, and I can't see the difference between DVD and original tape, considering that DV is very hard to encode.

And DVD+RW disk recorded in DVD+VR mode is editable and fully compatible with DVD-Video (not like DVD-RW format that has two modes: one is DVD-Video that is compatible with stand-alone players, but not editable, and the other is DVD-VR, which is editable, but compatible with nothing).
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by JohnnyCNote
    If I get it at Costco, then I'll always be able to return it in the future....
    Johnny,

I've read similar statements re Costco returns and, actually, I'm a member but can't quite get a handle on their return policy for electronics items. Can you enlighten me on this? How long after a purchase would one be able to return something like a DVD recorder?

TIA!
    Quote Quote  
  30. A manager told me that anything except computers can be returned at any time. For example, if a TV was damaged by lightning 5 years after it was originally purchased, it could be returned for full credit. I've seen people returning items at the customer service desk, but haven't had the chance to talk to them about it.

I also don't know if it's necessary to actually "prove" the item doesn't work properly. In other words, if a customer returned an item because he simply wanted to get something newer, whether it would be necessary to demonstrate that the item was somehow not working. From what I could tell, it looked like they had no way to do that anyway. I went to their website, but it's down 'til tomorrow. The safest thing to do is call them, of course.

What I'm hoping is that it's really as good as they say, and that after several years, I could simply return a DVD recorder, for example, and get an updated model.....
    Quote Quote