VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyCNote
    I got one yesterday at Costco for $220. I applied the hacked firmware last night and so far it's working fine. It does get hot. ..
    Do you have a fan at the back of the 5001? What is the manufactured date? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. There's no fan in the back. I'll have to look for the manufactured date. However, Costco has a lifetime satisfaction guarantee, so if they stock the 5005, there's a good chance I'll become "dissatisfied" with the 5001 and make an exchange....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As the proud new owner of a 5001, I'm going to soon apply these firmwares, and I'll give these firmwares a home on my site, on a future DVD recorder page. Don't want these lost if the briefcase goes down.

Has anybody thought of performing custom jobs on the case? I'm all for heatsinks and fans, though I'm not sure how to attach a heatsink with now premade setup to hold one. Who can push me in the right direction?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Congrats! Where did you get it?

I've been using it a lot with my satellite DVR. The only problems I've had are with CompUSA +R's. Speaking of CompUSA, I got a stack of 25 +RW's for $25 today. I figure that should last me a long time.

I've been getting good results by transferring 4 hr's worth of movies per disk, although I did put 3 old B&W's on a disk. The quality was acceptable, but certainly not videophile standard.

Do you know if there's a way to copy disks recorded with the 5001? I tried DVDDecrypter on one but it stalled out.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Circuit City began to carry them today.

DVD Decrypter just ripped my first disc perfectly. IFO mode. Though it did repeat the eps like Philips decks do. It has blank IFOs and then everything is doubled. Only take the first one for the corresponding file.

I've unscrewed the back end and reset the back two screws under the cover, allows about ½-1 inch air passthrough. If I keep the unit (very likely), I'll work on a custom fans. Not sure about heatsink, as I'm not aware of any other units/chips having the, either. Probably good, but maybe overkill. I plan to contact LSI for their opinion on heatsinks on their DMN-8602 chips in use here.

The disc that came with it is trash as far as I can tell. Haven't run it in DVDINFO yet.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gateway AR-230 got a fan. see:
    http://220.130.29.146/ikonboard.cgi?s=2bce85d23d2962037e872b4296ab8cb5;act=ST;f=2;t=432

You can get it from :
    http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default.aspx?webp_id=1572879&web_id=1572879&sz=0&g s=&sf=ec&dept=&cat=&subcat=&prev=hp!sf!50!sf

for $187+17.95= 204.95

HSN, first time buyer code: 711231 for 25% off, $17.95 shipping.

Gateway AR-230 DVD Recorder $249.90 - 25% = $187
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey c-note and others...i stubmled on this thread and i can add while i dont know much about video recorders, i do know that costco will take anything back no matter what, as long as they sold it @ one point.

i had an mp3 cd player that i broke snowboarding, i had no reciept, no packaging, manual, etc.; i took it back and they counted $20 bills into my hand.

from that day on, i try to buy all my electronics and expensive stuff from costco...they are great!
    Quote Quote  
  8. It's well worth the $50 annual membership fee. Even the Sopranos mob realizes the value of shopping at Costco! One guy was there last night. Of course, he never made it home. He had an unfortunate encounter with the inside of the trunk of another car.

It was also mentioned in a previous episode a couple of weeks ago. So, you can't do better than that!
    Quote Quote  
  9. I had a lot of trouble getting a HP DVD+RW writer to copy the disks made on the Gateway AR-230 at first. But the trouble was with the DVD+RW hardware. So I got a cheap LiteOn DVD-ROM drive which now reads the disk with no trouble at all.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi:

I purchased a LiteOn 5005 from Comp U Plus for $289 last week and it has since come down in price, so check it out.

Their service was excellent. Ordered it on a Tuesday and it was at my home on Friday. Unfortunately, my first unit was defective....but I mailed it back on a Tuesday and had a brand new unit on the following Monday and, so far, it's working fine.

I'm looking forward to using it for archiving Tivo, etc.

What's the best DVD Writer for my computer, to use with dvds made on the LiteOn? Does it matter?

I'd like to make back up copies and currently have a DVD Rom drive and CD R drive. If I replace the CD drive with a dvd writer, can I copy from the dvd rom directly to the dvd writer?

Thanks.
    Annie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are the 5005 or Gateway or Daytek fans always on?
    Or just when the machine is ready to record (and not on during clock mode turned "off")?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The fan is not on during clock mode. When you push "power on", then it will turn on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cchang
    The fan is not on during clock mode. When you push "power on", then it will turn on.
    I'm going to have to install a switch on my 5001 fan mod unless I can find a not-always-on power source in the machine. So far, I'm not seeing one. Would you be willing to open up the case and see how the fan is wired?

I think my mods will be better for heat than the official 5005 upgrades, as I'm adding intake and pushthrough, as well as blowing over the motherboard and the new heatsink in the LSI. The switch is quite small and on the side, but still a 2-step operation to turn it on fully.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The 12v is soldered to right side of L11 (toward the front of the machine), but there is a resistor between 12v wire and L11. So the voltage there might be higher than 12v. Ground wire can be soldered anywhere attached to the case. My unit is sent back for 2nd RMA, so I can not take a picture. I sent my 5001 for installation of fan. It came back with a Gateway mother board, fan and back panel. But the picture is highly pixalized. So I sent it back.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lordsmurf wrote:
    Has anybody thought of performing custom jobs on the case?
    With the cover off, the DVD drive & disc are slightly warm after recording.

The LSI chip gets very hot even tho the 5001 is just sitting there only running the screen saver.

I will Krazy Gule a HEATSINK on the LSI but first I'll apply a thin coat of Arctic Silver Alumina. A small drop of Krazy Glue will be applied to each corner to hold the sink. The fan will be installed on the cover over the sink.

I'll be using a 40mm sink, which has to be rotated 45deg so that it can fit.
    Restate: the edges of the sink makes a 45deg angle with the edge of the LSI chip. The sink is centered on the LSI.

Next I'll cut a hole for a 60mm aluminum fan above the LSI.
    The edge of the fan will be directly over the corner of the 40mm sink for optimal cooling of the sink.
    A circular metal fan guard goes on the top side of the case.

Holes will be drilled under the DVD drive. The holes will be a little off center, away from the fan, for optimal air flow.

NOTE the bottom of the drive has no cover and dust will certainly cause problems. I will attach a piece of air conditioner filter using some velcro-tape on the out side of the case.

And just for looks, I'll install some ultra-bright-red-LEDs from Radio Shack on the sink's push pin tabs.

I will test L15 with a volt meter. If that doesn't work out, I'll poke around the bottom of the drive for a swithed power source for the fan.

BTW I'll be using a drill press to cut the hole after I buy a 50 or 55mm hole cutter.
    An alternative is to use a "Nibbler" from Radio Shack, Cyberguys.com etc.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    o0OPS!!!

NOT "Alumina" but "Ceramique" !!!

It's Arctic Silver Ceramique that I have on hand.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I sent some disks I recorded with my LiteOn 5001 to my brother today. He tested a few and they seemed to play back properly on an older RCA DVD player I gave him a while back. So far, that's 3 different players I've tried and sucessfully played DVD's in that were created with the 5001, a good sign.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your machine is jitter-free, it's perfect. So far, only 1 tape has given me jitter that could not be fixed with a Sima SED-CM or by removing the MV with the hack.

It's a bug with interlace, though is random almost how it appears and when.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I've played the disks made with the LiteOn 5001 (gateway version) on at least 10 players and none of them had trouble playing them. I did find one DVD+R drive that had some trouble reading them, but so far that's the only trouble.
    Quote Quote  
  20. If you upgrade the firmware of the 5001 with the 5005's is it possible to convert the 5001 to a 5005 to have both - and + rewrite capabilites?

or
    does - and + depend on the dvdr's electronic components?

anyone!, thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by cchang
    If you leave a disk in the drive then the fan will be on all the time, only after powering it off with the disk inside, does standby kick in 5-10 minutes later and the fan turns off in clock mode.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I plan on buying the Liteon 5001 as it is now $199 my local Costco. The heat it produces is a big issue though with me. I am want to know what is the simpelest fix to this. Would drilling a couple holes on each side be sufficient? Anyone care to post any pictures of their work?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cahusker
    I plan on buying the Liteon 5001 as it is now $199 my local Costco. The heat it produces is a big issue though with me. I am want to know what is the simpelest fix to this. Would drilling a couple holes on each side be sufficient? Anyone care to post any pictures of their work?
    New LVW5001 should have a fan installed and should have fixed most problems. Its a good recorder despite of lacking of editing features.
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
  24. I have never had a problem with my two 5001's, but they do get very warm as do the discs after just a few hours of use. Heat is a big killer of electronics so I decided to forego my warranty and drilled twenty 1/8th inch ventilation holes in the cover on each side near the top as a preventive measure. After almost 6 months of regular to heavy use, they seem to run cooler and I still haven't seen any problems.

If you don't want to void your warranty early on, some people have removed the four cover screws and just propped the cover open in the back about 1/8th of an inch. Also, don't place the unit in an enclosed area or stack equipment on top or underneath.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by pkosta
    If you leave a disk in the drive then the fan will be on all the time, only after powering it off with the disk inside, does standby kick in 5-10 minutes later and the fan turns off in clock mode.
    No; in my Daytek DVR-P30 (which is a 5001) came with a fan, and it is not on all the time, even with a disc inside. The fan only comes on periodically.

Tom
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just purchased the Liteon 5001 and have to give my props to the company. I bought it from Costco brought it home and hooked it up. I quickly learned that it would not record. This was Saturday. I called their support and was shocked when an actual live person answerd the phone by the third ring. After going over a few things he determined it was a defective unit. I returned it and the new one works like a champ.
    I have never had such good quick service like this. Usually it's pess 1 for this and 3 for this option then wait 30 to 40 minutes.
    Service like this leads me to highly recomend their products ESPECIALY after dealing with Cyberhome.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I'm interested in a DVD recorder that can also use CDR/W for Audio CD recording. The Liteon 5001 only lists DVD+R/RW as recordable medium, while the Liteon 5005 does list CDR recording capabilities as well.
    Unfortumately, the 5005 is not available in Canada (while the 5001 is), so I'm interested to know if anyone has tried audio CDR's in the 5001, or if any of the 5001 FW upgrades will add that feature.
    Any help / feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, Tac7
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tac7
    I'm interested to know if anyone has tried audio CDR's in the 5001, or if any of the 5001 FW upgrades will add that feature.
    Any help / feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, Tac7
    See this:

http://220.130.29.146/ikonboard.cgi?s=0e1090033b1af46d1dcc8dd88b5109b6;act=ST;f=2;t=53...=0;&#entry2849
    Quote Quote  
  29. See this:
    http://220.130.29.146/ikonboard.cgi?s=0e1090033b1af46d1dcc8dd88b5109b6;act=ST;f=2;t=53...=0;&#entry2849[/quote]

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks - I'll keep following that thread.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The 12v is soldered to right side of L15 (toward the front of the machine), but there is a resistor between 12v wire and L15. So the voltage there might be higher than 12v. Ground wire can be soldered anywhere attached to the case. My unit is sent back for 2nd RMA, so I can not take a picture. I sent my 5001 for installation of fan. It came back with a Gateway mother board, fan and back panel. But the picture is highly pixalized. So I sent it back.
    Another fanless unit back after 2nd RMA. The unit works fine. I opened it up and tried to find the L15 spot, but could not find it. In stead I found a L11 spot (left rear corner). It will turn on and off in sync with the power switch and it is also 12v. Just do not know what kind of resistor I got to put it there.
    Quote Quote