VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Yeah, I did some searching earlier and found a variety of feedback on Costco but nothing negative about their return policy. One lady returned a home entertainment system that she had used for months. It wasn't defective. She simply discovered it wasn't the "latest model". Another customer received a full refund for a coat......she found a hole in it about a year after she bought it.

Other than the foregoing, the only thing I could find that was semi-official was that customers are guaranteed satisfaction and receive full refunds subject to "certain product-specific limitations".

So, their return policy does appear to be outstanding.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Costco's Unconditional Double Guarantee

Costco's Unconditional Double Guarantee

On merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell by offering a full refund, subject to certain product specific limitations.
    On membership: We will refund your membership fee in full at any time if you are dissatisfied.

Costco.com Merchandise Returns

Costco.com guarantees your satisfaction with the merchandise you purchase from us, and our products may be returned to any of our Costco warehouses worldwide. Or if you wish to return merchandise directly, contact us at customer service. Please select “Costco.com Returns” as the subject of the e-mail. Please include the product’s item number and your order number to expedite the return process.
    While the above policy applies to Costco.com, it's the same for their warehouses. The only exceptions are with computers:

computer warranty & technical support

Effective November 4th, 2002 Costco Wholesale’s desktop and notebook computer return policy is six-months from the date of purchase. After six-months from the date of purchase, all services and technical support will be subject to the applicable remaining manufacturers' warranty.
    The site was down for a couple of days for upgrades, but it's back up now....
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have the Gateway AR-230 version, same recorder. I have never had a heat problem with mine. I think the ones made more recently are better on that. The encoding quality is very good: VHS tapes recorded thru the S-video jack look identical to the original on every tv, even 30inch+ screens. The four-hour mode is better quality than an older Amoisonic SVCD recorder I have tested. And the ability to remove copy protection is really useful, because I like to edit songs from DVD concert videos. Doing that on a computer is very tedious. And the quality loss from re-recording is very small.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by RowMan
    Try this...

http://www.liteonit.com/DC/english/download/index.asp

Enter 1135 or lower as the second set of numbers to get firmware 1141 which is the latest that allows the copy protection hack. Firmware later than 1141 (I believe there is only 1143) has removed the copy protection hack.
    I tried this and it does NOT work. I bought a 5001 and it has 1135 as the F/W version. Inputting this a their website only gives the choice of the 1163 F/W. I don't want this but want the 1141 for obvious reasons. Can someone tell me where to get the 1141? Thanks Gerry
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Odd, it worked for me when I tried it. Maybe LiteON changed the web site to only allow upgrades to 1163.

I have the image here, I can email it to you if you want (it's only 1.7MB zipped).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They definitely have changed the site. It doesn't work as described any more.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Second file of 1163 firmware for 5001 has two hacks:

1. to permanently disable macrovision.

2. to enable LP (3 hours) mode.

I installed yesterday hacked part 2 of 1163 and it works great.

Check out LiteOn forum for 1163 threads:

http://220.130.29.146/ikonboard.cgi?s=8e6060391feefb7fed1e1ad7ac3bece3;act=SF;f=2
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by cruffino69
    Odd, it worked for me when I tried it. Maybe LiteON changed the web site to only allow upgrades to 1163.

I have the image here, I can email it to you if you want (it's only 1.7MB zipped).
    Cruffino69, could you email it to me at: crazycritter@stny.rr.com. I sure would appreciate it! Also could you tell me if you can burn it to a ISO CD-R with anything other than NERO? ie Easy CD creator or Windows XP. I don't have nero... Thanks, Gerry
    Quote Quote  
  9. Also could you tell me if you can burn it to a ISO CD-R with anything other than NERO? ie Easy CD creator or Windows XP. I don't have nero... Thanks, Gerry[/quote]

Now more confused than ever! I happen to find "smartblues" yahoo briefcase that has all the files (1141 (d00,d10,d30). If I read things correctly I would use the .d30 file? Also need to know about the above burning requirements.
    I see that he also has the 1163 file with macro & 3 hr enhancements. It is a LNEA1163.d11 file. Would this be a complete firmware upgrade to go from 1135 to 1163 with the enhancements? The file that the Liteon website says i need for 1163 ends in .ds1? These file extensions are killing me .
    Liteon website also says something about having to go back and get 2nd file, etc... Any help with this rats' nest would be appreciated, thanks Gerry
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You said it best: rats nest.

I only got the one file for the 1141 upgrade from LiteON. Can't say what the other two are from "smartblues".

Yes, the 1163 upgrade is a two step. I'm not sure what would happen if it's done in the wrong order, but (as I'm sure you read) you can do just the second half again if you wanted to turn macrovision on and off (who knows why one would *want* to do such a thing).

If you're up for it, do the 1163 two-step. Seems that enough people have had success that it's a safe bet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ggw2000,

From any firmware you:

1. upgrade with original LiteOn LNEA1163.DS1, turn off and turn on you recorder.

2. upgrade with hacked LNEA1163.d11 file from "smartblue" yahoo briefcase.

That's it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by kabanero
    ggw2000,

From any firmware you:

1. upgrade with original LiteOn LNEA1163.DS1, turn off and turn on you recorder.

That's it.
    KABANERO, first off i want to say thankyou for your time. But , Unzipping LNEA1163.DS1 gives me one file with same name only slightly bigger-correct?
    hacked .d11 file is not a zip so I gather this is a standalone file?
    Burn both of these to seperate CD-Rs?
    Everyone seems to be evading the question about burning the files to CD . Can I use something other than nero? Please reply if someone knows-please.. thanks gerry
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ggw2000,

Unzipping LNEA1163.DS1 gives me one file with same name only slightly bigger-correct?
    Yes, it is original LiteOn file that you use first.

Correct.

Yes.

Can I use something other than nero?
    Yes, any CD burning application.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by kabanero
    ggw2000,

Unzipping LNEA1163.DS1 gives me one file with same name only slightly bigger-correct?
    Yes, it is original LiteOn file that you use first.

Correct.

Yes.

Can I use something other than nero?
    Yes, any CD burning application.
    KABANERO, well I burned both files to seperate CDs using windows XP. Tonight I will see if the unit blows up or works I guess . Will report back. Again thanks for time and most of all PATIENCE with someone new to DVD Recorders.. By the way I really like the 5001 so far. I have replaced the top with a custom bent perforated one to keep the sucker cool 8) . What I do not like is: 1. have to keep hitting source button when powering on to get back to input that was selected when I turned it off. 2. I wish the Svideo/Composite inputs on the back each had their OWN set of RCA audio jacks so I could hook up another device to it... Oh Well- what do want for the price.. Gerry
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What I do not like is: 1. have to keep hitting source button when powering on to get back to input that was selected when I turned it off.
    This is fixed in 1163.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by kabanero
    What I do not like is: 1. have to keep hitting source button when powering on to get back to input that was selected when I turned it off.
    This is fixed in 1163.
    That's great! Will it grow two more audio connectors on the back of the unit also .
    ONE more question before upgrading to 1163. Do I do the first update from Liteon and then go back to their site and get the second and install that before applying "smartblues" enhancement???
    Also noticed that smartblues file is well of 2MB? Are we sure that this file is not the Liteon file plus the enhancements. In other words could it be both parts of the 1163 update plus enhancements? Inquiring minds want to know before blowing up recorder........... Thanks, Gerry
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ggw2000,

You install original LiteOn LNEA1163.DS1 file, then install LNEA1163.D11 from smartblue site. LNEA1163.D11 from smartblue site is original LiteOn file but modified with hex editor.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I too worry about blowing up the recorder. The original filename from LiteON (at least, what I downloaded from their site earlier this afternoon) is "LNEA1163.D01", not "LNEA1163.D11". Note the extension difference; ".D01" vs. ".D11"

I assume that this is OK, anyone confirm?
    Quote Quote  
  19. I'm right on the verge of deciding to buy a 5001 tomorrow at Costco. How much luck have you owners had in playing disks create don the 5001 on other players?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had great luck playing these discs on my two other players. And a friend at work tried both DVD+R and DVD+RW on an older (~6 years) JVC and it played both.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I might have to spend some money tomorrow. My DishNetwork receiver's hard drive is starting fill up.

Here's another question:

Let's say I want to put 4 episodes of The Simpsons or King of the Hill on a disk. Can I add to one, and how well would it turn out in the slower mode? Also, is there any way to edit out commercials?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    4 half hour episodes fit into the normal 2 hour SP mode, which is DVD quality. Others have stated, but I haven't confirmed, that 4 hour mode (which I think is called LP, still new to the terminology) looks about as good as SP, though I would think this only applies for broadcast content. You'll have to try and find out yourself what's acceptable. However, you still should be able to fit the 4 episodes on a single disc in SP mode.

You can continue to add to a disc until it's full. Of course, the DVD+RW's you can erase and regain the space.

Unfortunately there is no editing of the video content whatsoever (a real downer to me). Not sure if there's something available with the LiteON HDD unit (the LVW-5020, not sure where to buy one yet or how much it costs); editing could be a limitation of the DVD+RW format but I'm guessing it's probably just a financial issue. Anyone out there have input on this?
    Quote Quote  
  23. One way around it would be to simply pause the recorder just as a commercial starts. I'll just have to experiment....
    Quote Quote  
  24. I got one yesterday at Costco for $220. I applied the hacked firmware last night and so far it's working fine. It does get hot. One small beef is that the pass through doesn't work if it's turned off, unlike a VCR, however I have a way around it.

The first disk I tried did and didn't work. I wanted to put 2 movies on it, and after the first it wouldn't play at all or let me add anything else. After I upgraded the firmware I was able to record the 2nd movie, which came out fine.

What I might do is keep this, and if Costco gets the 5005, I'll "trade" it in....
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by JohnnyCNote
    I got one yesterday at Costco for $220. I applied the hacked firmware last night and so far it's working fine. It does get hot. One small beef is that the pass through doesn't work if it's turned off, unlike a VCR, however I have a way around it.

The first disk I tried did and didn't work. I wanted to put 2 movies on it, and after the first it wouldn't play at all or let me add anything else. After I upgraded the firmware I was able to record the 2nd movie, which came out fine.

What I might do is keep this, and if Costco gets the 5005, I'll "trade" it in....

If you want to increase the life span of your 5001 I highly recommend that you either prop the back of the top cover up about an inch or make a ventilated cover and replace the original as I have done. Heat is the biggest killer of these units as there is no ventilation holes or fan.. Gerry
    Quote Quote  
  26. Thanks for the tips!

As I write this I'm finishing up another disk (the credits are rolling).

I have now successfully copied 2 movies to one disk using the EP mode! (applause)

I'd say it looks as good as VHS, plus the disks are cheaper than VHS and take up less room, so I'm satisfied.....
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by kabanero
    ggw2000,

From any firmware you:

That's it.
    I have successfully upgraded with LNEA1163.DS1, turned off the unit and then tried to flash with the LNEA1163.d11 file but the recorder just recognizes the disc as a "data disc" and immediately spits it out. I've downloaded the file a few times and remade the upgrade disc without any luck. 'Lil help?

Also, will this hacked firmware update still allow the unit to record any DVD or tape regardless of copy protections like with the 1141 firmware?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ... but the recorder just recognizes the disc as a "data disc" and immediately spits it out.
    Did you use a CDRW?

If not, try again using a CDRW disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    RowMan,

I forgot to say that I installed original LNEA1163.d11 first, than hacked LNEA1163.d11.

See this thread:

http://220.130.29.146/ikonboard.cgi?s=2ed2ad183b6dcbfdccab4116f80b8db6;act=ST;f=2;t=434

-
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tested CDR instead of cdrw

Result: I got RowMan's "data disc" error.
    Quote Quote