VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I need some help, been burning Ritek printables at 4x for the last 6 months, about 2 weeks ago won't burn above 2x
    must love pain
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what happens when you try to burn at 4x? does it just wont do it, or does it do it with error(s)?

Did you downgrade firmware? Is it a new pack of media? SOmetimes media can vary in quality, even in the same brand.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It says burning at 4x but takes about 28 mins, half the tub of media burnt at 4x, firmware is 1.0A
    must love pain
    Quote Quote  
  4. I consider my nd1300a to be a 2x burner, i had some coasters on -R 4x and also with +RW at 2.4x. I regret buying this writer, but so far it never failed at 2x so i guess its "ok".
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what program are you burning with?

Maybe its autoselecting lower speed since the program fails write tests. Discs have power calibration fields, and if it fails at full speed, it might go down to 2x automatically. If youre using Stomp recordnow max, this is a common issue, it states 4x, but if the buffer goes low and it has to pause burn it takes longer time.

Individual discs in a pack can also differ... especially if they are cheap media. Cheap media is always a gamble.
    Quote Quote  
  6. this thing happens, half the bundle perfect, half coasters....
    it's media, but you could flash it for a newer firmware....does not hurt.
    try different media, it should work.
    Quote Quote  
  7. In my case the media is not the problem, never used anything super-cheap or unbranded/unknow brand. And never a coaster on 2x, and i always verify after write. Seems like some people are lucky and get good and functional Nec writers, and some, for ex me, get the ones made during monday morning hangover. Maybe they make them mondays only??
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have had the 1300a for 4 months now and am half thru my third 50 pack of Ridek -R 4X from NewEgg.

I have been burning 4X ( 12-15 minutes) using Roxio, DVD Decrypter, and TMPGEnc DVD Author, without one coaster (except the ones that were my fault)

The DVD - and + RW burn at 2.4

I installed the latest firmware in Jan 04 when first installed.

Since I learned to use the Daemon Tools freeware virtual drive program, to play the ISO image file on my computer's DVD player before burning, I haven’t burned one mistake.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I never had a failed burn process at 4x, it only fails during verify, always above 50% and usually between 90-99%. Dont say "no coasters" if you ever skipped the verify process. I do know of people with good nd1300a's, im just not one of them
    Edit: Just mentioned it because you have used TDA, and that proggy cant verify sectors after write as i know of.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I am using nero 6 never get a failed burn all disks play fine just takes twice as long to burn, 28 mins when nero says it is burning at 4x.
    must love pain
    Quote Quote  
  11. If you are using nero then im not surprised, i dont like.

Not to be difficult, but even if a movie play fine doesnt mean there are no bad sectors. My coasters play fine too, only the xbox can show glitches over the bad parts, my pioneer will not mind it at all, its perfect. Those disks are trash to me anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Nero is not the problem just burnt a goallover printable at 4x just over 14 mins looks like it's a ritek problem. Have checked disks after burn no problems
    must love pain
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by thor300
    Dont say "no coasters" if you ever skipped the verify process.
    Why would I want to verify a video DVD, when everyone I burn comes out exactly as rendered?

If I was backing up data files, that would be a different. But I have not needed to do that.

So for me, 125 out of 125 video DVD and no coasters.
    Quote Quote  
  14. If you read my posts above you will see that i never had a failed burn but it fails during verify, the disk still play perfect in my pioneer, but with bad sectors it has to be considered trash so i throw them. What if i wanted to go back and do something with it, or make more copies from that disk with the home videos? Its impossible coz it got bad sectors, right? And verify is the only way to find out.

And WHY you would want to verify a disk? 1. Coz you got an ND1300A, and 2. Do you think the verify option would exist if it was never needed? Ofcourse its not only for data dvds.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the nec1300 is a gamble. sometimes it works great, sometimes not so great.

Try another brand of media, if ít displays the same problem, then your drives laser is faulty, if not then the media is f*cked.

Often when errors occur at end of discs its bad media.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by thor300
    If you read my posts above you will see that i never had a failed burn but it fails during verify, the disk still play perfect in my pioneer, but with bad sectors it has to be considered trash so i throw them. What if i wanted to go back and do something with it, or make more copies from that disk with the home videos? Its impossible coz it got bad sectors, right? And verify is the only way to find out.
    I have read your post and you have not stated two important details: The software have you been using to burn, and more important what media have you been using.

I have also disk copied at least 15 or so video DVD's, where the original burn and copy was made on this drive. In all cases the copied home video played perfectly through out.

I also read or reviewed the results of hundreds of product reviews before buying this drive. Even though one can get always get a bad drive, mine had performed with the vast majority.

However the next few I burns I perform at 4X, I will select "verify" on DVD Decrypter and then report back.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Zechnubis
    the nec1300 is a gamble. sometimes it works great, sometimes not so great.
    Thats my impression to from what i read and heard and experienced.

Am using DVD decrypter for burns, current media is Samsung DVD-R, good campatibility with players, mediacode is BeAll, anyone had bad experiences with that? Didnt use Verify with previous mediatypes, so not enough base to judge it, but i seen skips on the xbox. AS Zechnubis said, its a gamble, so this media might suck bigtime in other nec's. It scores very well on the DVD media list on this site, and tested in 24 players.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    are you running alot of programs at the same time. Sometimes that will slow down the burning process.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Firmware 1.0A isn't possible. Factory firmware is 1.07.

I've had a 1300a for 5 months. The only time it ever burnt at 2x was when it 1) slipped into PIO mode 2) Badly overheated (you shouldn't be burning more than 1 disk/hour average), I never burn more than 2-3 in a row continously, any given burning session. If you have your DVDRW wedged in-between other optical and harddrives, it can be dangerously overheating after a few burns.
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  20. Overheat, i checked that and even added extra fan, my pc runs cool and the disks are hardly warm when burned. Mine is located above a cd-rw drive which i never use.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just to be on the safe side:

1. make sure you have a 5,25 drive bay empty both under and over the drive. I have mine in slot 1 of 4 in my case, im thinking of moving it down to make air circulation better.

2. Make sure youre power supply is good. Bad power supply can make the drive burn worse, thus burning error sectors. My 300w is just on the edge of being to weak, me thinks...

Good suggestion, not to burn too much dvds at once, heat is our enemy #1.

Otherwise, if you get errors after trying all of this, and after trying different media, i think you should call nec and have the drive's laser measured. It might be faulty.
    Quote Quote  
  22. 2) Badly overheated (you shouldn't be burning more than 1 disk/hour average),
    Anything else you can offer up to explain this. It sounds perfectly reasonable. As I was burning a bunch at 4X and the later ones dropped down to 2X.

I was burning about 6 per hour
    Quote Quote  
  23. Firmware 1.0A is possible and it from NEC get your facts right first.[/quote]
    must love pain
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    firmware 1.0a is by far the best one yet! i dont use hacked versions, cause it MIGHT hurt your drive. And thats no gouda...
    And, with 1.0a out there is no need for a hacked firmware.
    Quote Quote  
  25. My FW is 1.06, is that bad? I will try to update and do a 4x burn and i get back with the results.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My drive came with 1.07, and there have been releases of 1.08 and 1.09. I haven't looked in a month or 2. So why 1.0A (1.0 all?)? WTF knows, I do have my facts in order, piss off.

You don't upgrade your firmware unless you have to, that's always the rule. If your disks are burning fine, then leave firmware alone. What upgraded firware will be usefull for is write strategies for 8x DVDR's (I don't mena 8x speed, just using 8x media at 4x) and 4x DVDRW's.
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  27. Ok, i flashed the drive to 1.0A (and i thought the A was hexadecimal for 10), bured an ISO image with dvd-decrypter, 4x, verfiy, success. 1 disk isnt much to brag about, so i try to save my enthusiasm. Looking good! Will backup some EFC eps later, i try it at 4x again and post back tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Firmware 1.06 released 7/2103

Firmware 1.0A released 12/26/03

Numerous reviews I read in Jan 2004 before my purchase said: using the latest firmware is a MUST with this drive.

Like I said in previous post, I never had a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    firmwares are like drugs... "Gotta upgrade, gotta have new one!"

Actually, for this drive, firmware 1.0A is the best IMO.

thor300: glad to hear it might be working for you
    Quote Quote  
  30. Sorry for me, itt didnt work so well anyway. Firmware did no miracle, the next disk at 4x failed to verify at 95%, burned same ISO at 2x, success as usual. So.. I still got a 2x Nec drive, fast enough for now, im using the pc as normal when its burning and so far no failed burns at 2x even when running CCE and TDA. I accept my destiny
    Quote Quote