VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. There's no reason the MS Update thread should have been allowed to go on as long as it did. Had the moderators done their job and simply posted something like "time out, guys", or ,as a last resort, closed the topic after a few days it would have nipped the problem in the bud.

Despite repeated inquiries, I have yet to get answers to a few simple questions:

1. How was my posting, according to the rules below, a violation or otherwise problematic, as one person in particular insists?:

Originally Posted by Baldrick
    1. Choose a subject that briefly describes the news
    Example
    Tmpgenc 3.0 released

2. Type a complete description of the news
    Example
    Tmpgenc 3.0 has been released with millions of new features like supermegapowwerultrafast encoding............

3. Add a direct link
    Example
    www.tmpgenc.net/blabbel.htm
    2. How can I be assured I won't be subjected to the same attack next time I post an update, just as many others do without incident?

3. Who will correct this message, incorrectly attributed in its entirety to me?:

You want to be childish, I can be the same.

In which case you're certainly not in any position to criticize me or anyone else.

So you're waging a jihad against Microsoft. Terrorists are fanatic ...
    The first sentence was made by another person, not me! If you're going to quote me, at least have the courtesy to do so correctly. I wouldn't do that to anyone.

I've been a member and active participant of this forum for quite a while; I'm not known as a troublemaker. On the contrary, I'm only interested in exchanging information and making friends with others who share my interests. The fact that someone else chose to hijack my thread to advance his campaign against Microsoft is beyond my control. The fact that he's a moderator is inexcusable.

I've moderated many forums over the past 10+ years, including doing so professionally for CNN (that is, I was paid by CNN to moderate their forum on CNN.com when it first started up). I avoided the problems seen in this situation by being a bit more proactive. It's very easy to do so without "censoring" the users.

I intend for these comments to be taken as constructive criticism.....

2. JohnnyC,

Speaking as the Resident ******* , I'm not surprised the thread was locked and warnings were issued. And no, I'm not surprised that Baldrick chose to warn one of his own moderators, either.

You have to see it from outside the box. There's been a lot of friction lately throughout the boards. I can sense it, and it seems to be increasing. Have you noticed at all? Had you noticed the sudden surge in 'yellow cards' being issued? I hadn't paid attention until last night, when a couple were handed out that kinda surprised me.

Maybe Baldrick is fed up with some of the nonsense that goes on around here. I'm not pointing fingers, please understand. Hell, I'm glad Nelson37 and I walked away from each other last night, because I was WAY out of bounds and I'm sure he was moving towards that direction, also.

Just some thoughts, having been online all last night and watching some of the things that happened. I mean, the 'Swearing' thread got locked, and nobody did anything wrong except swear...

3. I guess I haven't seen as much of the friction until this latest flap, probably because I only check out a few sections, mainly Latest News, Media, DVD Writers and Recorders. So some of the comments came as a surprise. For the most part, I'd say people get along very well. However, it takes proactive moderators to prevent problems from escalating into larger ones.

I know that problems can arise from language barriers; having studied several languages myself I can fully appreciate how one can easily come off the wrong way. That happened a while back to me in another thread, and once I became aware of the problem, we resolved our issues and exchanged a number of friendly messages privately.

Beyond that, I'm afraid that external political events may be spilling over into this forum, which is very unfortunate. It's probably going to get worse before it gets better...

4. Lately, many threads have turned nasty and ugly, more than usual. Every so often it seems some of the veterans go mad, while others suddenly need hats several sizes larger. It's a mystery why this should be so.

It would help if people asked themselves, before posting, whether what will be said anonymously would also be said face-to-face. Good manners may be hypocrisy at times, but the alternative is much worse.

BTW, Johnny, you were in the right until you allowed yourself to be drawn in. IMHO. These things die down after a while. The offenders no doubt feel a little sheepish, as well they should.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!

5. It's one of those "in the heat of the monent" things....

6. Originally Posted by fritzi93
    It would help if people asked themselves, before posting, whether what will be said anonymously would also be said face-to-face.
    That's part of my problem. I say shit to people's face all the time. I'm not afraid to speak my mind, here or in person.

7. Originally Posted by indolikaa
    Originally Posted by fritzi93
    It would help if people asked themselves, before posting, whether what will be said anonymously would also be said face-to-face.
    That's part of my problem. I say shit to people's face all the time. I'm not afraid to speak my mind, here or in person.
    Okay, it's not a panacea, but it'll help in MOST cases. That is, aside from you and a couple other probables I could think of...like Jeex and Will and... Never mind, don't think I'll start that list.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!

8. Originally Posted by fritzi93
    Originally Posted by indolikaa
    Okay, it's not a panacea, but it'll help in MOST cases. That is, aside from you and a couple other probables I could think of...like Jeex and Will and... Never mind, don't think I'll start that list.
    Yeah, I know. I'm workin' on my attitude. But when you've been bred and groomed for the 'job' it takes awhile to shed the skin.

Hey, did you just insult me?

9. Originally Posted by indolikaa
    No, My impression of your more vehement posts is that they're essentially either tongue in cheek or of the "put up or shut up" variety. Not any real ill-will there. Same for the others mentioned, and many more folks I didn't list. A certain amount of that lends character to the forum.

I don't blame the mods when things DO get ugly, they can't be watching every minute. And maybe it's not all bad when people get free rein and are ashamed of themselves afterwards. But, thankfully, I don't have to make those sorts of decisions. 8)
    Pull! Bang! Darn!

10. Originally Posted by fritzi93
    No, My impression of your more vehement posts is that they're essentially either tongue in cheek or of the "put up or shut up" variety. Not any real ill-will there. Same for the others mentioned, and many more folks I didn't list. A certain amount of that lends character to the forum.
    If you don't see 'Listen Up, *******!' at the beginning of the post, then it's never ill-will'd.

Search Comp PM
    I farted.

12. Originally Posted by indolikaa
    Yeah, I know. I'm workin' on my attitude. But when you've been bred and groomed for the 'job' it takes awhile to shed the skin.

And so am I.. I just try to resist the temptation to blast someone with another "What is the best......whatever" type of question.

makntraks
    In the theater of the mind...
    It's always good to know where the exits are...

13. Originally Posted by makntraks
    And so am I.. I just try to resist the temptation to blast someone with another "What is the best......whatever" type of question.
    What is the best way to keep jaxx from farting?

(Rule 62.1: Threadjacking is appropriate while the original poster awaits comments from 'Them Up There'... )

14. 'Them Up There'...
    It's "them up thar"!

15. I mentioned about a month ago that there seemed to be a lot of bashing, smart assed remarks and other stuff going on around here lately. I know some folks are only kidding, but others aren't. I make sure I always stress that I am only joking around with what I say when I'm kidding. I don't know... just an observation.

16. Geez you blokes can be hotheads!

By the time I get logged in to a thread with a good heated discussion youv'e already gone over the top and its locked!

I'm never gunna get a go at spouting off at this rate!

17. Originally Posted by pyscrow
    Geez you blokes can be hotheads!

By the time I get logged in to a thread with a good heated discussion youv'e already gone over the top and its locked!

I'm never gunna get a go at spouting off at this rate!

That's the problem, we can't seem to have heated discussions without the bashing getting started. It's only a matter of time before the "F*** you" gets started. It gets nowhere, but does make for some interesting reading......

Search Comp PM
    Well, something is really happening and we don't know what it is...

I don't know for the other users, but I receive too much hate mail and much flamming the last months. And about stupid things mostly, like the quality of my english. And I waste too much time answering those attacks, while I could do other things, much more usefull, like writing guides for example or articles.
    All those years I'm here, I attacked only one well known member of this community, for reasons I already explained. But the last months I've been accused for raschism, faschism, "being an ass", and being US Hater from various users, and without a reason mostly. And all started because I wrote "importand" and not "important", "americans" and not "Americans", "A 12 steps guide to convert NTSC to PAL" and not "A 12 steps guide to convert film NTSC grabbed at 29.97 to PAL", and other really minnor things, that I really don't understand how they qualify for flames!

IMHO, something else is happening. I think that those attacks aren't random and aren't without a reason. I think this forum is too popular and offers so many infos for free so it starts being a problem for pay sites, other well known scene sites and - why not to mention - older members of this forum, which choosed to move on from here (because of egoism mostly) and start their own mpeg related sites without any success. (There are of course an some succesfull between them...)

Another thing I noticed, is that I'm getting questions recently, from "newbies", which are very advance for true newbies. Also the same members post elsewhere in the same forum, very advance answers to questions. So, they are not newbies at all: They question things in the porpuse to lead a conversation to a flame war or something bad.

I believe that today Videohelp.com is the biggest site in our scene (user based) and when you are on the top of anything, problems start to rise. I am maybe one of the last older members of this forum and all those flames and attacks I only recently receive in private and in public, ain't innocent or random for sure. Some people / users seems that they don't want me around to post. Why? I don't know. Not that they can succeed anything. They only manage to piss me off occasionally. I like this hobby a lot so to left it behind because of those attacks. Don't mention that I practise my english for free

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SatStorm
    Well, something is really happening and we don't know what it is...

I don't know for the other users, but I receive too much hate mail and much flamming the last months. And about stupid things mostly, like the quality of my english.

All those years I'm here, I attacked only one well known member of this community, for reasons I already explained. But the last months I've been accused for raschism, faschism, "being an ass", and being US Hater from various users, and without a reason mostly.

IMHO, something else is happening. I think that those attacks aren't random and aren't without a reason. I think this forum is too popular and offers so many infos for free so it starts being a problem for pay sites, other well known scene sites and - why not to mention - older members of this forum, which choosed to move on from here (because of egoism mostly) and start their own mpeg related sites without any success. (There are of course an some succesfull between them...)

Another thing I noticed, is that I'm getting questions recently, from "newbies", which are very advance for true newbies. Also the same members post elsewhere in the same forum, very advance answers to questions. So, they are not newbies at all: They question things in the porpuse to lead a conversation to a flame war or something bad.
    Simple answer: Mailbomber!
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?

Search Comp PM
    You're a good guy and a valuable member of this forum, SatStorm. Don't let the ******** get to you. Flamers are most effectively combatted when they are simply ignored.

21. I don't know for the other users, but I receive too much hate mail and much flamming the last months. And about stupid things mostly, like the quality of my english. And I waste too much time answering those attacks, while I could do other things, much more usefull, like writing guides for example or articles.
    Usually the idiots (in lieu of other, more appropriate words) who want to criticize people for whom English is not a native language couldn't learn another language if their lives depended on it. I get a kick out of people who think that when others are speaking in another language that they're the subject of the converstation. 99% of the time they're simply not worth even the slightest mention.

Your English is very good. The spelling could be better, but English is a crazy language to spell, which is why many native speakers misspell it themselves. If it were not for dictionaries, I'd have a lot more mistakes myself.

Gia sou!

Search Comp PM
    No offense, SatStorm, but

23. Originally Posted by JohnnyCNote

Your English is very good. The spelling could be better, but English is a crazy language to spell, which is why many native speakers misspell it themselves. If it were not for dictionaries, I'd have a lot more mistakes myself.

Gia sou!

Ah, good ol' www.dictionary.com

24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I noticed all this fighting latly also. I read this forum to learn. I learned nothing from watching latly, it was pitiful. I just don't see how people could get so mad about a question or an answer. You don't have to respond.
    That said I wanted to ask, is there any way to make if easier for newbies to find answers about getting started. Maybe someone could start a thread discussing this. Not everybody has a hundred hours, and months to look around this site.
    Thanks Mike.

25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wanted to add.
    Several times I thought about jumping in on the MS update thread to say something like> Can't people just state there opinion without putting someone else down.< Also on a subject like Microsoft, it seems to me that there should be several different opinions. Hell, I, both like and hate them.
    Thanks Mike.

26. Originally Posted by fmctm1sw
    Ah, good ol' www.dictionary.com
    Here's the one I use most: Merriam-Webster. I'll check out www.dictionary.com, however....

27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mike, I guess the only options for newbies (which it seems many around here sometimes forget they were at one time also) ,is to spend the time to look at the guides.

It really doesn't take too long to find at least the general direction to head into. I don't think any one minds when someone makes an effort, but when someone posts something like "I just got my new dual format DVD burner. I haven't taken it out of the box. I see there are a lot of guides on this but I don't have time to read them. Can someone tell me how to use it ?"

That is when the shi* really hits the fan around here, and sometimes rightfully so and it does get frustrating when people are expecting others to basically copy the guide and post it in the thread.

Although I personally just ignore these threads ,there are some here that can't wait to levy a cheap shot at someone else to feel superior ,I suppose.

In the anononymity of the internet, even the lowest, classless geek can try to come off as intellectually superior to make him or herself feel better.

Me personally, my peter isn't that small.

If you ever need help, just PM me and I'll do my best to help.

28. Originally Posted by jaxxboss
    I farted.
    I've been doing that all day...I wonder if a bug is going around?

29. Originally Posted by jtommyj
    Mike, I guess the only options for newbies (which it seems many around here sometimes forget they were at one time also) ,is to spend the time to look at the guides.

It really doesn't take too long to find at least the general direction to head into. I don't think any one minds when someone makes an effort, but when someone posts something like "I just got my new dual format DVD burner. I haven't taken it out of the box. I see there are a lot of guides on this but I don't have time to read them. Can someone tell me how to use it ?"
    That's why it happens. You hit the gopher on the head.

Especially the ones that say, 'I don't have time to xyz.' It's completely offensive to all those people who spent A LOT of time over the months/years donating their expertise to this site. This hobby didn't grow without the members who posted guides, spent time here to teach others their skills, and donated without any expectation of 'repayment' from others.

I spent a lot of <insert appropriate expletive here> time learning how to do all these things. And there's still a lot of stuff I haven't tried yet. But I have yet to find a guide that didn't get me to the point that I couldn't ask an intelligent question AND show somebody what I had done to get to that point.

You show me you've made an attempt, I'll answer just about any question I can.

30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You show me you've made an attempt, I'll answer just about any question I can.

Exactly my point. I agree totally.

Tom