VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Yep ... there is a lot of nonsense posted here ... we offer help ... even though we want to pound them into the ground.

When I first got my CD and DVD burners ... I didn't post questions how to use it ... I went to the guides instantly. I started in the beginning with Doom9 quides.

I did the search for help on my own.

I while back I posted a question asking if anybody knew of a disk defrag program that had the feature of creating a large body of free space without any optimizing being employed ... for video capture.

Back when I had Norton Utilities 2002 or 2003 ... Speed Disk had that feature as an option. Came in handy for Video Capture.

About two persons answered me with decent answers ... the rest were posting crap. I removed all my questions and replies with "Do to lack of interest I've cancelled this post" ... the thread was then "locked".

I didn't want my posted questions to become a ... shooting gallery. I thought is was a very legit question and I wanted legit answers.

I don't remember if it was Baldrick who locked it or some else but I don't have any ill feelings ... it was just burning up bandwidth.

We definitely vented on the person who posted the "I ripped the DVD and it's 6.50gb!!" ... oh man ... how many pages did that last ... ???

2. Originally Posted by lacywest
    We definitely vented on the person who posted the "I ripped the DVD and it's 6.50gb!!" ... oh man ... how many pages did that last ... ???
    That's a good question.

Search Comp PM
    almost confused this thread for an oxygen channel special...c'mon women suck it up.

as for the orginal post, even god took a day off... there's more than a few mods but they still cant be every where all of the time. it would scare me if everything was caught... when things start getting micro managed around here, i'll be outty quattro...

Search Comp PM
    @Supreme2k: Stop searching ways to hijack me. Neither me or others bite anymore from you
    Nice to meet you, again.

5. Originally Posted by glockjs
    as for the orginal post, even god took a day off... there's more than a few mods but they still cant be every where all of the time. it would scare me if everything was caught... when things start getting micro managed around here, i'll be outty quattro...
    I can fully appreciate that having been a moderator for a long time, however at least 2 moderators actually participated in the thread in question, including one who drew a lot of criticism for his remarks. Some contend it was those remarks that turned it into a flame-out.

Also, there was other evidence of moderator intervention in another thread in that section:

Moved: Need to know of program to close session and dvd disk - Apr 22, 2004 21:59
    That occurred 4 days after the MS thread started, and 2 days before it was locked. So there was ample opportunity for a moderator to intervene in a thread that was clearly getting out of hand.

What's curious is their total silence on the issue.....

6. I left the thread when things were warming up
    but it had not got personal. Between writing up a long report and
    managing a flame out on another thread I lost contact only to
    find out later by PM that one member and one
    moderator had been warned by Baldrick.

7. Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't even aware you were a moderator, and I don't see where you could have done anything different. What I'm saying is that there are enough moderators that at least one could have intervened, or at least kept an eye on, a thread that was obviously high profile and completely out of proportion to the innocuous nature of the original subject....

8. Thanks. All mods have blue text below their avatar. There are
    12 active mods at present, 4 of which pretty much keep a
    constant eye on most forums daytime/early evening (US) and two
    which keep a watch almost 24/7.

Perhaps the thread was overlooked. Perhaps a mod was watching
    and assumed that since another mod was involved, things would not
    overheat.

People will forget and move on and no one will remember that you have
    been tagged except the mods. In a months time, you can ask for the yellow tag to be removed. No stain on your character.

9. Maybe I'm out of step here. Flame wars are going to happen, human nature being what it is. Here's some out-of-fashion advice to whomever it may concern: Be a man, get a thicker skin. And refrain from joining in yourself.

Look, the genius of the internet is lack of control. It's an architecture and set of protocols, no more. The developers even resisted building-in predictable things like search engines. No, and talk about open source!

The internet has taken off because of generosity, yes, generosity. (Our own esteemed Baldrick is just one example). Go to a site and you're told, "hey check out these links, so GO AWAY!" People share information, they write freeware programs. Bloggers write what they really feel, and others are willing to forgive typos and bad turns of phrase. Generosity. But to get this you also get flamers and people who write malicious code, which is far worse.

No one can seriously believe this could have come about as the result of a business venture. To my mind, the internet as it is now is the opposite of traditional marketing philosophy: Cram it down their throats, like it or not. Deliberately design the message for the most primitive part of peoples' brains. Above all, stay on message, stay on message. It's about control or at least moral suasion, and no wonder it alienates people. Many confuse this with capitalism, but it's just a nasty byproduct.

I'll take things as they are, and to the mods, I say "good job". Everyone who took part in the recent unpleasantness is a good guy. So forgive and forget. Be generous. JMHO.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!

Search Comp PM
    Moderators checking other Moderators?
    No, that is silly... Only the Administrator (which is what actually happen in that example) checks his Moderators and judge their actions.

@JohnnyCNote: It happens and you had a bad time with one of the most helpfull mods in this board for at least 3 and a half years. I can understand Sefy's attitude, because we share the same mediterrenean passion about things and the same temper. We are not agglosaxons so to handle our passions that easy. You, as someone once located in the area, you probably know what I'm talking about.

Sefy is a good guy which sometimes have a bad mood. So do I. And when a mediterrenian has a bad mood, bad things can happen. Look at me, when I piss off...
    That which happens between the two of you is an isolated incident and I suggest in general stop chating about it. It doesn't worth so much analyse.

I had mines also. With Xendi, Proxy99 and Supreme2k for example. Did those 3 isolated things describe me as a person and user? Did those 3 isolated things manage to change the opinions of the millions of the members of this board about me? I don't think so. In the matter of fact, I bet that only few even notice those incidents and even fewer even thought about it.
    If you have an opinion on something, it is very difficult to "update", to change it. So, someone who knows me for years during my posts, won't change his opinion about me, if he read somewhere something bad I wrote or a bad thing I did.

The who we are, shows. From our posts, our attitude, our way we help or not the others.

And about the problem with m$: The roots of that debate are easily explained by sociology.

I'll never forget what folowed when I first post about CVD in this same forum. Half users was against me about it and I couldn't proove myself based on what they determined as "proove".
    Well, the time prooved me in that case.
    And this is not the only thing that pissed me of: Back in 2001 I use to say that DVD specifics includes mpeg 2 @ 352 x 288 interlace. I was in full doubt for more than 2 years concerning this! I 've been flamed for this. I was accused once, that "I was spreading lies" about it.
    But when some more "official" sites start mention it, all those acts against me simply stoped. Now I was prooved right...
    A Bullshit reaction if you ask me. What I mean?

Those needs for "references", "official sources", "official specifics", etc are nothing more than a fake need made by the commercial companies or goverments so to stop the natural human ability of objervation.
    What really piss me off, is when I post a result which anyone can check, and the reaction I have is : On what you based that (!!!). Where are your refferences? You spelled "understant" while it is "understand"! And other relevent bullshit.

Maybe the education system some wester countries use are the ones to blame for this. I mean, the west world education systems teach not to objervate and test ourselfs so to conclude ourself on something. We have to use official refferences, sources, announcments, etc to proove ourselfs! Doubts or alternative ways to act are bad.

"If an officially source (note: what this mean exactly?) don't indicate a problem, then there is no problem".

Well, it doesn't work that way in the real world. If it was straight like that, then we would never have xVCDs, xSVCDs, xDVDs, etc for example. We would stay with the choices the "officials" gave us and we wouldn't try alternatives each other day.

And that is what happened in that treat with sefy. He objervate and testify it, as other users did before him (not in this forum in specific). Officially his objervations don't exist. But many users had the same problem, so it does exist. Who to blame? The source.

And if you start overanalysing the source, you end up descussing things beyond the objervation that start it all.

The conflict rised from that. What followed was simply a human reaction. And human reactions are only human. And we, the Humans, ain't perfect. So the mods, the users, even the administrator.
    Nobody is perfect.
    The bottom line is, don't judge by the errors. Judge someone of this "overall" actions. And on that case, Sefy is untouchable.

11. I'm reminded of when I was stationed on Crete. Occasionally I'd see two Greeks involved in a very heated discussion, and was afraid they'd come to blows. Suddenly, they'd stop, and often walk arm in arm down the street. So I can appreciate at least how Greeks can become passionate, but they were still among the friendliest people I've met.

I'm mainly trying to understand the other members here better so as to avoid any future unpleasantness as much as possible.

offline: thanks for the info...

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyCNote
    I'm mainly trying to understand the other members here better so as to avoid any future unpleasantness as much as possible.
    An admirable effort, but perhaps a bit futile. There are too many personality types to deal with on a public forum such as this. You're bound to piss somebody off. I've done it. All you can do is use the golden rule. Do unto others as you would have done to you. Except you, Capmaster.

13. Originally Posted by teegee420
    You're bound to piss somebody off. I've done it.
    Yeah, and that signature does it to me!
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stiltman
    Originally Posted by teegee420
    You're bound to piss somebody off. I've done it.
    Yeah, and that signature does it to me!
    Well why don't you go f...........hehe, to each his own. Can't please 'em all.

15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I missed these & locked posts... where are these?

what about these "yellow-cards " I live in America, we don't do much soccer here. (besides why would anyone want to bounce a ball on their head?) that's not a smart :P

Anyway... I thought everbody each other here... I mean why tell people off, when you can their asses?

I don't see what the big deal is?

Ps nothing like finding new friends.
    pcexpress-guy

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jtommyj
    You are right, and I do understand, some questions don't even deserve answers. I also remember a post where a guy was hollering at a guy "will you at least try what I said". And something that really pisses me off is when I see answer posted, and no thank you is returned.
    But I still can't see myself getting into one of these online fights, nor can I see myself calling somebody out like that.
    Thanks Mike.

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    pcexpress-guy

18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like someone found some new toys and was anxious to show them off.

19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    pcexpress-guy

Search Comp PM
    your a freak pcexpress-guy

21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I could go to the

or I could just pull out... <glockjs>

at night I put on my attire so I can find

pcexpress-guy

22. I have been reading this thread and finding some of it amusing, but when I got to Satstorm's, I got ticked off. You're serious, people flaming and sending you pm's about your frickin' english. While I cant apologize for the entire US, I am sorry that a bunch of morons decide to attack your english. I mean, come one, how flippin' petty can a person be to actually put forth the energy to pm/flame you about english spelling/use. I hope the folks who have done this are reading (however, hope that they have been banned), GROW UP!!!!!

Satstorm, you are a good guy and I hate it when people do something as stupid as attack someone because their english isn't perfect. I'll be honest here, I am from a bassackward's little town in Missouri and thought the same way.........when I was 12. Thank God I was able to grow up a little and get a clue that the world is bigger than my town. Sheeeesh, no flippin' wonder so many people hate the United States. Having moved around a little and see the everyone "puts their pants on one leg at a time", we are all just here trying to make our way. I just hate to see people that try to belittle other folks to make themselves feel better.

Satstorm. I'd report these people the moderators IMMEDIATELY. I disagree with other posters, but I dont user something as petty as not being able to write or speak english. That is just tooo flippin' stupid. Those folks that do that should be yellow carded (probably why I'll never be a moderator on this forum).

Anyway, Satstorm, hope I can change your mind that at least one of us backwardass country hicks in the United States ain't a racist moron (Ok, I'll go with the moron part :P )

23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @macleod -I'm from the US too and I think it's stupid for anyone to critcize the English of SatStorm.

But before we need to apologize for the US and criticize our own, do we know that anyone that criticized SatStorms English was from the US ?
    I didn't see that in his post.

There are plenty of places in the world where English is the first language and many more where it is a requirement in school. Could be they were, I don't know.

Just a reminder.......

Search Comp PM
    SatStorm, I think maybe you should post the email address of every idiot that says those stupid things to you. We will then take care of the rest.

With that said, I think it is time to lock this dog. It seems to have slipped into the usual waste of space.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?

25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yea, it could be those darn UK MI5 folks... you know how they can be. (have no idea what that means.)

SatStorm is a good guy! Long live the "Sat."

pcexpress-guy

26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by The village idiot
    With that said, I think it is time to lock this dog. It seems to have slipped into the usual waste of space.
    Yes, I agree... lots of wasted space here... lets go ahead and lock this puppy up.
    pcexpress-guy

Search Comp PM
    Well the last few posts have said ... lock it up ...

So ... Mr. Moderator .... lock it up

Lacywest said it was okay ... so does that mean it's okay ??

28. I vote against locking this thread.

29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In honor of this political year flip floping "I too voted for locking this thread up... after I voted against it." :P

pcexpress-guy

Search Comp PM
    "I did not have sexual relations with that woman."