VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm new here (first post) but I have been lurking for a month or so. I learned how to back up my library of DVDs here. The first and best thing I found was MTR. Thanks for all the great work on the program; and thanks to all of you for a really useful forum.

There are now at least 3 out of 10,000 that care enough to send some support!

I downloaded 2.0 beta this AM. It not only looks great, it works great. I have been using it all day on a region 1 1.25 GHz PB with the Matshita UJ-816 drive. Works like a charm. An excellent upgrade to an otherwise great program.

For the record I also use DVD2One and Toast 6.0 and find they both do the job quite well. Riteks are cheap so I use the Join function and archive the whole DVD. In over 100 titles done this month I have not had one failure with this combination. Like I said, MTR does its job. Thanks WildWeasel! Keep up the good work.

Geriatric
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't forget to thank Geezerbuttz, you'll hurt his feelings. He's the one spending all his time coding this thing...
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  3. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    After all the complaining about people ignoring the creators of this app, you'd think somone would have replied to an offer of a PB G4 dvd-rom drive ... but ohhhh no ... silence ... silence ... hello? ... echo ... echo ... echo ... :P :P :P :P :P :P
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry Geezerbuttz!!!! My bad. I left out the major point of my post which was to thank you for writing great software and making available to everyone.

MTR even once worked on a disc that my Sony DVD player could no longer read because of a scratch...but I suspect that's a difference in the drives. Nonetheless it does show how effective MTR can be. Has anyone else ever had this experience?

I also mispoke. What I meant to say was that I use the DVD2OneX join feature to copy the main feature onto two discs with no compression for my archival copes. I don't much care if I loose all the extras but I wnat to keep the full resolution of the main feature.

Geriatric

MTR. DVD2oneX, Toast 6.0 on a 1.25 GHz PB, 512 Mb, Matshita UJ-816
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a new features list available for mtr2? If i have missed it in posts, I apologize in advance.

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    geezerbuttz-

A minor cosmetic suggestion...

In MTR 2.0b1, the RCE indicator in the upper LHS of the window is greyed out and reads "D-RCE ON -" when it's off, then turns to black text and displays the RCE Region number when active.

Although a purely cosmetic aspect of the program, perhaps a greyed out "D-RCE OFF" might be better when the RCE Region is set to off? Just a thought. MTR 2.0b1 is GREAT though!!! Thanks again for all your hard work!

-A.S.
    Albe Sure™ means QUALITY! :wink:

"Know the name..." ©2004
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...also noticed.

1. An audio 'extraction completed' (as there was in MTR 1.x) indicator noise when the cd is finished RIPing would be fly!

and...
    2. The second 'filesize progress' indicator _beneath_ the words "FULL DISC EXTRACTION" in the display window does not appear to reset on its own following each extraction, but rather is cumulative until the program is quit and relaunched. This may be intentional, however, it'd at least make sense to me that that lower indicator could serve as a (like I mentioned earlier) 'filesize progress' indicator when compaired against the overall disc filesize shown _above_ "FULL DISC EXTRACTION" if it were reset with each new disc extraction.

Thanks!

A.S.

"Know the name..." ©2004
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks ... fixed the filesize indicator bug....

please report the bugs to WW via PM and not to the list, i may not always check the list .

Geezerbuttz
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right on. Sorry geezerbuttz, will do!

-A.S.

"Know the name..." ©2004
    Quote Quote  
  10. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Still no acknowledgement I see...

I like how when after two days without a response Geezer feels its ok to insult everyone and generally have a good old rant, but he feels fine doing it to other people...

Pot. Kettle. Black.
    Tim Houghton
    WebsitePhotography
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

MTR is one righteous piece of work!

Three thumbs up!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thoughton: No acknowledgment of what? I guess he doesn't need that drive of yours since he has nothing to use it in, and it's not the drive we're having problems with. I don't know what you're talking about saying that Geezer is insulting people after two days without a response. Did a post get deleted or something? Your post didn't make any sense to me. Please explain yourself or edit it to make some more sense. Please understand that Geezerbuttz puts a huge amount of his time into MTR, and there is basically no chance to get paid for that (in any significant way). He could easily just drop the whole thing, and that would be the end of it. Comments like yours don't do anything to help that frustrating situation. I don't think you realize the effort it takes to make a project such as ours.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  13. WiseWaesel, I totaly agree with you.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A geezer and a geriatric. Werd.
    If it isn't broken, take it apart and find out why.
    blog: deadsierra
    Quote Quote  
  15. THOUGHTON....

im not on the board coz im writing the bloody software........

give me a break.

geezerbuttz
    Quote Quote  
  16. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by WiseWeasel
    thoughton: No acknowledgment of what? I guess he doesn't need that drive of yours since he has nothing to use it in, and it's not the drive we're having problems with. I don't know what you're talking about saying that Geezer is insulting people after two days without a response. Did a post get deleted or something? Your post didn't make any sense to me. Please explain yourself or edit it to make some more sense. Please understand that Geezerbuttz puts a huge amount of his time into MTR, and there is basically no chance to get paid for that (in any significant way). He could easily just drop the whole thing, and that would be the end of it. Comments like yours don't do anything to help that frustrating situation. I don't think you realize the effort it takes to make a project such as ours.
    Please note that I am not suggesting that MTR isn't a huge amount of work. But your post above makes me wonder if we're reading the same thread:

Posted: Apr 24, 2004 18:53 : geezerbuttz asks for powerbook donations

Posted: Apr 24, 2004 22:18 : geezerbuttz thanks the first couple of people, and says money donations are pointless.

(2 days later ...)

Posted: Apr 26, 2004 14:52 : Geezerbuttz is disappointed by lack of response. "It seems to me that the majority want something for nothing ... will someone tell me why i should be bothered to support a bunch of free loaders ... You all bitch and moan about the lack of tools available on the Mac ... Maybe if you all pulled your fingers out ... ITS PATHETIC."

(I fail to see how that can be construed as anything other than insulting everyone.)

Posted: Apr 27, 2004 10:34 : I post a note saying it seems Geezerbuttz doesn't want money (see post 2 above), and offer my original TiBook dvd-rom drive.

Posted: Apr 27, 2004 13:36 : Geezerbuttz posts a note. No mention of the offer of the drive.

Posted: Apr 27, 2004 20:54 : You post a note. No mention of the offer of the drive.

(3 days later ...)

Posted: Apr 30, 2004 10:07 : I post the note you are now enquiring about.

Everyone appreciates your efforts with MTR. Even me, and I've only used it once (when I was trying to de-macrovision Gattaca - it didn't work but I reported the problem to you guys and you've since fixed it). And MTR has given us RCE removal, which is fantastic news for all the region 1 people.

However this doesn't mean we will sit here and take it up the a$$ when Geezerbuttz is in a bad mood.

I made an offer of a PB drive. I stated it wasn't the UJ815, but maybe of some use anyway? I was ignored. Therefore I posted to express my disappointment. I managed to do it with insulting anyone though.

Geezerbuttz, we all love MTR! It's a great piece of work. I'm just giving my opinion on the posts in this thread.

Kind regards,
    Tim Houghton
    WebsitePhotography
    Quote Quote  
  17. Your edit off my original post is misleading , and simply done to try to prove your point.

if you want people ( Like WW ) to read the original post ( i know that he has done ) you should point the people to the original message , not paraphrase it to suit your needs.

need i say more.

One last point..... I could understand if I charged the users $10 - $50 and did not deliver, I could then understand everyone having kiniption fits, but as I dont charge AND do deliver , i have all the rights to moan and be pissed of now and then.

(I still live in a free country , where its my right!)

geezerbuttz ( ExBrit )
    Quote Quote  
  18. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you think your post was not insulting then I'm not going to argue. We obviously have different ideas of what is acceptable and what is not.

Yes I did only copy the parts i thought were insulting. Obviously I wouldn't copy the parts that weren't...

Cheers,
    Tim Houghton
    WebsitePhotography
    Quote Quote  
  19. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My point is you asked for assistance in the form of a PB. You said money was pointless. You then got annoyed by the lack of responses.

I didn't have a PB to give, you didn't want money, so I offered what I had (a PB drive, shipped to Switzerland at my own expense). I'm not even an MTR user.

You decided that the offer wasn't worth your time or effort to respond to.

Hence the subsequent argument
    Tim Houghton
    WebsitePhotography
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Geezerbuttz said donations are kind of pointless in the context of the bug with a specific PowerBook drive, not in general. We appreciate PayPal donations very much, and that is pretty much the only thing keeping development alive at this point. If you use MTR, and you enjoy it, and wish for development on it to continue, then donating through PayPal is the most effective action you could take. Obviously, that other post you quoted was pretty uncivil, and Geezer must have been quite frustrated when he posted it. However, life goes on, and he's been very hard at work getting MTR 2.0 ready for release, and it's a big one. There are many new features and improvements going into it, and it is taking a huge effort to get ready for release. Let's try to keep this thread on the topic of MTR 2.0, and stop bickering about semantics and hurt feelings, as they aren't helping the cause.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to wiseweasel, geezerbutz, galactica I have learned to back up my DVD collection successfully, without making people puke I would love to continually thank and praise everyone on this forum for the help and the program MTR is appreciated.
    To geezerbutz, I am a newbie to computers and to mac, for that reason I only visit this site when I need help or information, If I could help others I would love to. I live in australia and dont know how I can help you, but I do appreciate all the help and your hard work, one day I hope I can contribute to this great forum. Once again sorry I am unable to help!
    Quote Quote  
  22. I just wanted to say that I am new to this community also, and I can always be asked questions concerning Apple pro apps (FCP, DVDSP, Motion, and some Shake questions) and if I don't know, I will try to find an answer.
    To the weasel and geezer: I have only recently gotten MTR and used it twice, and it is a solid - really helpful tool. I wanted to say that sometimes I help students (early college) start editing at my old college and it feels really good to give some back, and it is nice when those you help say thank you, so Thank You.
    Galactica- Also appreciate all your help and webpage- very informative.
    Now to the point of my message Do you guys have any idea when version 2.0 is expected to make launch? I am stoked Anyways, keep up the good work and again my humble thanks. Peace
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Geezerbuttz has been very busy adding some new features and refining the interface some more. There should be a new beta build (beta2) out pretty soon (within a matter of a few days, hopefully), and I think we'll make it a little more public by putting a link to it here. We'll let the beta test run for another week or so (if no major issues are found), and then release the final version to the public.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I'm in on beta2, so when you are ready hook it up!
    Quote Quote  
  25. FYI, MTR 2.0 just crashed repeatedly on me trying to rip "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown". Region 1 disc. Region 1 external DVD burner (NEC 2500A). Full disc copy. 0sex also failed. DVD Backup is running fine in the background while I'm typing this. Will the crashlog be of any use to you guys?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it will. Please send all comments and reports regarding the beta test to mtr@wormintheapple.gr, and not to this forum.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Excellent piece of software! Any chance a compression tool will be included in future versions?
    Keep up the good work!
    Quote Quote  
  28. At The moment NO.... BUT ... i might consider it with enough persuasion.

But please consider that the authors of DTOX and DVDRemaster earn some of their living from their application , and I dont really wish to be accused of depriving them of any income.

Support those guys who wrote the two above apps, they are worth it.

Thats just my personal thoughts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MacTheRipper 2.0 beta 2 is now released for beta testing. If you didn't get the notification email (because you're not on our update notification list), let me know at mtr@wormintheapple.gr, and ask to be included in the update notification mailing list as well. Membership on the mailing list is private, and we only use your email address to provide notifications of new beta and public versions of MTR, and for nothing else. MTR now removes UOPs, which you should all be very happy about.
    Quote Quote  

30. Hi,
    The first time i installed beta 2 version, the window has a clock ticking to 15 seconds before i could agree to the term.
    Is this normal?
    Quote Quote