VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I walked in to Best Buy yesterday and found 2 boxes on the rack of this new unit. There wasn't any price or any on display.

Does anyone know anything about this unit?

I know it has a TBC but don't know what modes in records in. Does anyone know if JVC does in fact offer the ever popular (Panasonic) FR mode?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've been looking at DVD recorders for archiving my old VHS stuff (not pre-records) and this is the one I'm eyeing. It uses the LSI chipset guys like LordSmurf rave about...

http://www.era-tv.com/eraline/getnews.asp?SID=883

There's a JVC press release here...

http://www.jvc.com/pressbox2004/v_2.html

Sounds like a winner to me. I like the pre and post filtering stuff. I might actually break down and just pick one up tomorrow after work.

Edit: I can't find any info on this model at JVC's U.S. site but here is the Japanese page...

http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/dvd/dr-mv1/index.html

You can translate with Babelfish or just look at the pretty pictures.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    JVC is based on LSI technology for the encoding, and the APEX and LITE-ON have similar pre-processing of the image using LSI chips too.

My APEX clears out chroma leakage (red/blue haze VHS distortion) and other noise on the encode, but without blurring. In fact, it tends to sharpen the image slightly for crisp encode quality, but without adding macroblocks.

The JVC probably has the same thing, but added a DigiPure TBC to the mix, which is nice (same TBC in the SVHS 9000 units). This is a safe guess.

I'm betting a lot of this is based on the LSI chips and the boards it must use, and is why all the LSI machines act the same to some degree. Toss in a JVC TBC (not some weenie TBC like other recorders) and you've got a video-making monster on your hands.

LSI audio chips (actually same chip, just audio portion) are okay, and do clear out a small amount of hiss. Not much different than any other audio AC3 encoder chip to be honest.

I can only hope it has a stable chassis like the JVC SVHS machine. Combo machines are historically horrible buys, and expensive to repair. Some high end JVC combos do decent, so I'd hope this is one too, especially for the price.

JVC added a lot of nifty things, but I think a DVD recorder only would have been nicer for about $400-500.

I checked bestbuy.com, doesn't seem to be out yet.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. DOH! It's the man himself! Greetings from a guy who's followed for posts for a while and respects your opinions.

It was ABC Warehouse that I was looking at it in just today, actually. $499. If they have them in stock tomorrow (payday) I may just end up broke.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is a hard call for me. It's $500 (let's say $300 unit and $100 for TBC and then $100 for VHS). Maybe that seems so expensive because I'm already broke right now.

I really like my Apex. The LiteOn is the Apex with a more stable chassis (no potentially exploding power supplies). Both are $250-350. So $150 more for TBC and VHS ...

If you buy the JVC, you'll probably love it.
    I have a long running "relationship" with JVC products, and they rarely fail. From tapes to VHS, to SVHS, to cameras, to other stuff ... almost always a happy camper.

I would hope the VHS aspect works as good as any SVHS unit. With filters, etc.

If you get it, keep in touch. PM or e-mail me via my site.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Lordsmurf, it's great to see that you responded to this post. I was wondering what someone like you (a JVC man) would think of this unit.

Even before I read anyone's responce, I actually went and bought it.
    I was getting some good vibes from this machine. I went to their european website and read a similar one the DR-M1. It did say it does FR recording so i'm hoping the DR-MV1 does.

The reason I don't know yet is i am in the process of moving this weekend and I was moving some stuff today. I picked up the Recorder on the way when my wife wasn't with me so that I can mix it in with all the other boxes. I'll try it out and if i'm happy with it i'll rave to her about it and she'll let me keep it. Actually she is pretty good about this stuff especially when she knows I can return it. I've already returned 4 different units.

Link to the DR-M1 http://www.jvc.co.uk/product-list.php?id=18

I can't wait to try it out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If this turns true that LSI allows "flex recording" (FR) then it means the LiteOn and Apex are the ones limiting the chips and not the chips themselves. This goes along with my theory that the motherboards on the Apex/LiteOns have a template chip, while the JVC have template plus free use access. In this regard, I'd also wonder if firmware upgrade on these machines would also allow updating of the templates. Doubt it would happen, but it brings in potential, both for firmware hackers and the company's future releases. I think the new LiteOns with HD will also allow FR. But I'd still take JVC over LiteOn, especially when prices hover close.

In other words, very nice.

I'm also curious how Progressive VHS works, and output quality. New feature for a dying format, but interesting nonetheless.
    Quote Quote  
  8. There is one concern about this unit being a DVD Recorder/VCR. I don't think there is any way to get around macrovision from VCR to DVD or DVD to VCR. The latter being the one I'm not to concerned with.

You just don't see Mac or Region hack for dual decks. It's not that I have a lot of those to copy. I can always take those and record out of another VCR (JVC 3800) with my external TBC.

I'm going up to the new house later today. I will open the box and check the manual for FR recording.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is supposed to be the model DR-M10SL out soon minus the VHS section for about $400.

Also the model DR-MH30SL with 160GB hard drive and it sounds like it can record to HDD at 15mpbs and do a 2-pass re-encode to DVD.

http://www.1-877camcorder.com/jvcdvdrec.html

Of course, "coming soon" can mean anything.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
  11. It will be interesting to see if this unit does do FR mode. It supports DVD-R, DVD-RW & DVD-Ram.
    Quote Quote  
  12. It does record in FR mode. Damn I can't wait to play with this thing.
    Quote Quote  
  13. i own this model only prob i have was i couldnt play svcd
    the company from a email i sent told me it plays svcd
    the box tells you it can play svcd
    but the manual tells you it cant play svcd
    i still need to figure out componet hook up for my sony wega i think i need to set something my first attemp gave me black and white picture with noise so i used s connection
    the quality is very good top notch on xp and sp speed
    i used emtech dvd-ram and 4x prodisc dvd-r

as far as the svcd maybe its the media
    i tried svcd movies i bought from uk they came on datasafemedia disc

editing the dvd-ram was very easy to cut comercial out and it began where i cut it like it supposed to
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just to be devil's advocate, why would you buy a DVD recorder to play a crappy old SVCD ?

I see things like this all the time in this site's "review" section that make the ratings almost worthless. Example: I see people giving DVD-R units 1 of 10 because of stupid things like "doesn't record DVD+R" or "won't play VCD" ... as if that is a requirement of the product.

Again, just commenting on something I see as odd behavior. It's like being mad my toaster doesn't also make my eggs.

I can see your point about the box saying it when it wasn't true ... but still.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I see things like this all the time in this site's "review" section that make the ratings almost worthless. Example: I see people giving DVD-R units 1 of 10 because of stupid things like "doesn't record DVD+R" or "won't play VCD" ... as if that is a requirement of the product.
    Yep! I hate censorship normally, but the reviews are something that should be censored and edited it seems.
    People posting stuff like, "Just bought this, shipping was fast, someday I'll take it out of the box and see if it really works, duh...) I see that everywhere, not just here! What kind of review is that?? And like you said people downgrading hardware because it does not do somethng it IS NOT supposed to do! Those should just be deleted!

Yep, other than maybe wanting to record the SVCD back to VHS, why would you want to wear out an expensive piece of equipment like that?
    I would just get a $50 player for those and save the $500 stuff for better uses! I also agree though I would be ticked too if it said it played something it does not.

As for the mention of Macrovision and such, that would be a concern for me too. Would this unit alough me to backup my comercail tapes to DVD?
    Will it record directly, or could I connect external cables in and out and run the signal through a seperate device?

I am geting to the point now, I want my VHS on DVD, and my DVDs on VHS! Not a dying format yet, has it's uses! Would this unit record DVDs back to VHS? Especailly home movies on DVD need to be put onto VHS for people that do not have DVD players. Also for little kids, I might want the movies on tape, they just stick it in and it plays. Hard to damage a good tape whereas they could destroy a disk or even break it and hurt themselfs.

If a person has about $500 to spend, Already has DVD burners in the computers, ATI 7500 radeon AIW, Sanyo and Apex DVD players, and Sanyo VHS vcrs, plus a video facet video clarifier (MV eleminator), what would you recomend the $500 best be spent on?

Lordsmurf,
    Would this combo unit be a good choice, or buy individual pieces? And what to buy first? I am getting good results, but recently started getting noticable hiss in some of my DVDs. I need to correct that!
    Mostly I have been doing home movies from VHS camcorder tapes, and backups of my purchased VHS tapes.

I am wantng to buy some new items and will have about $500-$600 to spend in one shot on them.
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not a fan of combo units. Very often, combo units share parts, and these machines are more expensive to repair, and tend to break down faster.

The only exceptions I've ever heard/seen was some higher end JVC equipment, so if given no option, I'd take the chance .. but I'd feel uncomfortable.

JVC normally has great service centers, and the machines normally function quite well. This also has the LSI encoder chipset, the best of the best.

If you need one TODAY ... then this may be good.
    If you can wait longer (unknown if days, weeks or months) look for the newer sans-VHS recorder DR-MV10 or something.

LiteOn 5005 is also a good choice, as is the Apex DRX-9000.

I'm not aware of any DVD/VHS combo units allowing internal crossover recording. I see no evidence of this one being any different. You'll still need a separate VCR to input to the DVD. I don't think you can wire the combo's VHS output to the DVD input ... won't work.

Do defeat Macrovision, you need a TBC or MV removal device. Period.
    Quote Quote  
  17. i just think if this player is not supossed to play svcd then it should not be on box or website saying it can play svcd
    i dont make svcd i just buy them once in awhile from the uk
    in the end i see ill just have to convert any svcd i buy to another format
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I'm not a fan of combo units. Very often, combo units share parts, and these machines are more expensive to repair, and tend to break down fast
    This is true, i've normally stayed away from combo units myself. As a matter of fact, I never owned any until now.

Since this is coming from JVC and according to many, not just lordsmurf, JVC is one of the best. Everyone has there own needs and in my case I have about 50 VHS tapes to transfer. Since it's all internal and coming from JVC, I felt it was a great gamble. I don't have to purchace another VCR that I probably won't use again. I'll always have the DVD recorder.
    This is of course if I decide to keep it. I have yet to pull it out of the box.
    This weekend looks good though.
    Quote Quote  
  19. tommyoz, I feel the same way and purchased the same unit. Most of my VHS decks are older and in various states of decay. I figured the JVC would provide optimal transfer quality over what I've got.

I haven't had time to really play around with the recorder too much but my initial tests are very promising. My first transfer was an old VHS recorded at LP speed in 1985. I figured I may as well go for broke right off the bat. I used the 2-hour DVD record mode and the results were excellent. Better, I think, than the original tape! The JVC's filtering system definately cleaned up the bleeding colors and tape jitters. LordSmurf's recommendation of the LSI chip equipt recorders seems to be spot on. I hope to test the 4-hour record mode next.

As for the SVCD playback, or lack thereof as the case may be, I agree with LordSmurf. I would not buy a recorder to use for general playback. Regular DVD players can be had for under $50 these days. There's no need to put extra wear on the recorder. Personally, I've got a Toshiba SD-4900 that's hacked for regionfree and SVCD play. The quality is top notch. If you're looking for a good player, I recommend it.
    Quote Quote  
  20. xiaNaix,
    Have you used FR mode yet? If so, can you tell me if you can use it maunally or can it only be used in programing mode?
    Quote Quote  
  21. I haven't used it but, according to the manual, it can only be used in programming mode.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by xiaNaix
    I haven't used it but, according to the manual, it can only be used in programming mode.
    That's what has me confused. I read that also. According to another thread the Panasonics can record in FR mode at anytime.

Oh boy, Saturday please come quick or let me get this house stuff done earlier.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Just a little update on this unit. I managed to get it out of the box only after 1 week of buying it. I made 1 Dub recording of an EP mode VCR tape. It looks really good and it does FR mode when dubbing. The manual says that it only does it in programing mode The increments are 5 minutes from 1 hour to 8 hours.

I will keep testing and report back. One test I plan to do is to record from an external VCR as oppose to the internal.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I don't think you should use EP mode, thats 6 hours per dvd. Most of the topic on the forum are about getting 2 hours on a dvd. So you're gonna have some quality issues if you try to put 6 hours on. Try LP mode. thats 4 hours.

the board has forums for recorders, here are a couple jvcs:
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDnameid=288&Search=Search&list=0#comments

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDnameid=142&Search=Search&list=0#comments
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by handyguy
    I don't think you should use EP mode, thats 6 hours per dvd. Most of the topic on the forum are about getting 2 hours on a dvd. So you're gonna have some quality issues if you try to put 6 hours on. Try LP mode. thats 4 hours.
    I didn't do EP mode. The source was from a EP mode VHS tape.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tommyoz
    Just a little update on this unit. I managed to get it out of the box only after 1 week of buying it. I made 1 Dub recording of an EP mode VCR tape. It looks really good and it does FR mode when dubbing. The manual says that it only does it in programing mode The increments are 5 minutes from 1 hour to 8 hours.

I will keep testing and report back. One test I plan to do is to record from an external VCR as oppose to the internal.
    Just to confirm ... you have the JVC DRM10SL .... the one I have displayed in the ... Good Guys advertisement ??

If so ... cool ... I am very curious about how well it will perform.

Ooops .... you have the unit with the VCR built in ...
    Quote Quote  
  27. Yes, I do have the combo unit. Not only am I still getting situated in our new home, I also got sick (in bed sick) these past few days. It has really screwed up my plans to test this thing further. Maybe GOD is trying to tell me something like "stop spending too much money".

Anyhow I made another recording this time from a movie(sp mode) VHS tape (no macrovision). I compared it to the same movie I had previously made with a Sansui combo recorder and a Philips recorder and a Sony recorder. The JVC recording was a lot better then all those. Sony was close. I made these recordings without making any adjustments out of the box so it probably isn't all that fair. You could tell though that there was no TBC in the Sansui and the Philips. The Sony did and that is probably the reason why it was close. I think I made the right purchase i'm finally starting to believe in standalones. It took JVC to convince me.
    I'm still testing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tommyoz
    Yes, I do have the combo unit. Not only am I still getting situated in our new home, I also got sick (in bed sick) these past few days. It has really screwed up my plans to test this thing further. Maybe GOD is trying to tell me something like "stop spending too much money".

Anyhow I made another recording this time from a movie(sp mode) VHS tape (no macrovision). I compared it to the same movie I had previously made with a Sansui combo recorder and a Philips recorder and a Sony recorder. The JVC recording was a lot better then all those. Sony was close. I made these recordings without making any adjustments out of the box so it probably isn't all that fair. You could tell though that there was no TBC in the Sansui and the Philips. The Sony did and that is probably the reason why it was close. I think I made the right purchase i'm finally starting to believe in standalones. It took JVC to convince me.
    I'm still testing.
    I noticed at Walmart ... they have a Sanyo model ... DVD Recorder/VCR recorder ... I didn't catch the model number. $400 bucks.
    Quote Quote