VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by GregN
    ...In response to neuron, and as an expansion to quasar's question, let me clarify. ......
    The really good VCRs (9911, etc.) have loads of quality features, but MOST OF WHICH ARE IRRELEVENT if used only for the purpose of transferring VHS tape to DVD. ......
    Oh, and am I wrong here?.. I thought this JVC DID have a TBC included? Is that incorrect?
    If you were asking about 9911, then answer is Yes. This unit has so called Digital Wide TBC.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks Neuron. I take back every nasty thing I've ever thought about you.

(I actually meant the DVD recorder having a TBC, but I think the answer is no for that).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tommyoz
    Lordsmurf, You have mentioned that you don't see any evidence of TBC on these JVC DVD Recorders. Are you talking about written evidence or physical (seeing with your eyes) evidence?
    If it's the latter, then have you experienced a DVD recorder that has had one?

Also just to be sure, The VCR's that have TBC are they located at the input or output? and how about the DVD recorders are they on the input or output?
    Neither. I see nothing written or from watching the signal. Plus a full TBC would overcome MV. The recorder halts on MV. If a "TBC" does not correct MV, it is not a TBC. MV is a simple error to filter out, one of many things a TBC will catch. All I see are image processors.

VCRs with TBC implement prior to output. The purpose is to clarify a signal. A DVD recorder with a TBC on output? What would that be for? The signal is already digital, not going to have analog noise or fluctuations.

I've seen recorders with TBC like Panasonic. Those are reather weak too.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    a full TBC would overcome MV. The recorder halts on MV. If a "TBC" does not correct MV, it is not a TBC. MV is a simple error to filter out, one of many things a TBC will catch. All I see are image processor.
    So this means that any DVD recorder (claiming to have TBC) out there does not really have TBC if they don't allow recording of MV protected tapes. At least not a full TBC. I think that may be all DVD recorders as of this date.

Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    A DVD recorder with a TBC on output? What would that be for? The signal is already digital, not going to have analog noise or fluctuations.
    I was trying to come up with a reason as to why a company would claim to have TBC but as you said it would be useless on the output.

I've seen recorders with TBC like Panasonic. Those are reather weak too.
    I will check a panny out. I picked one of these up about 2 months ago. It was a display unit DMR-E60 for $200.00 without the remote. I am finally getting the remote tomorrow after being on back order for so long. I don't plan on doing my main work with this one but I will put it in the living room for my wife to use. DVD-Ram will be ok for her. She erases everything she records unlike me.

I am going to hang in there and wait for the JVC DVD recorder with HD or the Sony DVD recorder with HD and all format (plus and minus R/RW) recorder which was due out in April but I guess it has been pushed back. Coupled with the JVC HRS 3800 (that I own) and the HRS 9911 (that I have access to from work) and an external TBC, I feel like I'm finally close to transfering my old VHS tapes. I've been very patient and have tried several DVD recorders.

Thank you Lordsmurf for sharing your knowledge with us.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Aside to Lordsmurf: I just noticed something from your site.

What I was complaining about earlier, and described as right directed smearing along the top of the frame on my VHS transfers.. well, on your site, under the "Capture Guide - VCR & TBC Suggestions" you show a cartoon picture (bottom set of two), one with TBC on and one without. The one with the TBC on shows EXACTLY the kind of problem I'm getting on about a third of my tapes! You called it a "video tearing" problem and described it as being rare.

Well, I wish it was rare! When I went through my Toshiba VCR for the transfers, I had much less (but still some) of these "video tearing" occurances.

So, for whatever it's worth, or, in case anybody was wondering just what I was carrying on about, that picture shows the exact problem I've been having with this JVC combo recorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That only happens on a certain kind of error. Sometimes it is caused by the JVC. Sometimes by a capture card. Sometimes by a TBC. I really do not know what EXACTLY is the problem, but I know the end effect and how to try and avoid it.

This is why I keep a SHARP VHS VCR on hand. If the error is hardware-caused, and not an error embedded in the signal, this will normally fix it.

It may be your tv set even, or wires. Any number of combinations caused this. Your source is damaged, and this is where corrections can do more harm than good.

Good luck is all I can say. It's a difficult issue to work with, sometimes you must filter and just crop it out with software encodes.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It may be your tv set even, or wires. Any number of combinations caused this. Your source is damaged, and this is where corrections can do more harm than good.

Good luck is all I can say. It's a difficult issue to work with, sometimes you must filter and just crop it out with software encodes.
    Well, I assume it's my source material as it doesn't happen with all tapes, and it consistently occurs with the same tapes. A different VCR might help, as one exhibits the problem somewhat less than the other on those problem tapes.

But what really gets me is that the picture playback on both VCRs is totally devoid of the tearing. It's strictly when viewed/recorded through the DVD player/recorder. Given this, I'm wondering if some of the processing features of the JVC recorder is the biggest culprit here.

I was considering picking up the higher quality JVC 9911 VHS to see if that would help, but now I'm wondering if I should try another brand instead (Sharp). And even a different DVD recorder brand.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A new recorder won't help/ It will always happen with that tape. It is damaged.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well, ok then.

I've decided to pick up the JVC 9911 VCR though, just to see what kind of difference it may or may not make.

thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by GregN
    well, ok then.

I've decided to pick up the JVC 9911 VCR though, just to see what kind of difference it may or may not make.

thanks again.
    That's a nice looking deck! Keep us posted.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    will do.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    The LiteOn 5001 was $247 after tax and it hacked great. I'll be adding maybe $10 more by adding a custom fan and heatsink later today or tomorrow. That's still a better deal than the 5005. Only if the custom job fails will I break down and grab a 5005.
    Lordsmurf, how is this working out? Are you sticking with the 5001? I also noticed that the 5005 supports all recording formats. Normally I would stay away from these brands and stick with JVC, Pioneer or Sony etc....
    But i'm hearing good reviews from the 5005.

How does the 5001 compare to the JVC overall? and what does the hack do?
    Quote Quote  
  13. New (?) review of the LiteOn 5005 here...

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=LiteOn+LVW%2D500...ries=0&index=1

On topic because it has a pic of the LSI chip.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The LiteOn has some annoyances not found on the JVC. I have the 5001 mostly as a PAL player and a recorder from SVHS sources I made myself.

Even with a heatsink and fans running hard across it, with vents holes, the aluminum case still gets pretty warm.

I needed something for +RW discs and under $250 for that room.

It's giving me some jitter issues on a few old tapes I didn't make (about 1 out of 5), so it's not a perfect solution for everybody. It's fine on cable, broadcast and SVHS so far. The JVC is far better all-around. LiteOn is trying to get that corrected in the next firmware, appears to be mishandling of interlace, as well as bad MV usage (even when its turned off).

The 5001 and 5005 are pretty much the same machine.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Folks - I've been following this discussion on the JVC standalone players and have learned a lot.

I do need some advice, though. I'm looking to convert VHS tapes to compressed files, like Divx or similar. I do want the benefits of the JVC like TBC and Color Correction, but I'm not really interested in making DVD's - I just want the collection of files to live on a giant hard drive; which I'll eventually stream to a TV.

Do you folks recommend the JVC for this or something else?

Thanks,
    MW
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by merrickw
    Folks - I've been following this discussion on the JVC standalone players and have learned a lot.

I do need some advice, though. I'm looking to convert VHS tapes to compressed files, like Divx or similar. I do want the benefits of the JVC like TBC and Color Correction, but I'm not really interested in making DVD's - I just want the collection of files to live on a giant hard drive; which I'll eventually stream to a TV.

Do you folks recommend the JVC for this or something else?

Thanks,
    MW
    PC capture card for you.
    Quote Quote  
  17. lordsmurf wrote:

PC capture card for you.
    But would the PC capture card have good TBC and Color Correction? Some of my tapes are old and need the help. Plus I'd like it to be relatively automatic, I don't want to edit the files and apply filters for 8 hours ...

Thanks
    Merrick
    Quote Quote  
  18. A few questions for those with a JVC DRM10SL...

...can the DV input (4-pin FW) accept input from a computer (i.e., not a camcorder, but via FW using "output to tape" from a NLE program)?

What kind of DVD menus/chapters can it produce on a DVD-R?

And, can its TBC be used via pass-thru (i.e., VCR>JVC>A-to-D>PC)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cbkilner
    A few questions for those with a JVC DRM10SL...

...can the DV input (4-pin FW) accept input from a computer (i.e., not a camcorder, but via FW using "output to tape" from a NLE program)?
    YES. I used Vegas 5 "Print to Tape" feature to record to my DRM10SL directly from the Vegas timeline.
    And, can its TBC be used via pass-thru (i.e., VCR>JVC>A-to-D>PC)?
    I am not sure, but as far as I know, only Pioneer has DV out from the FireWire.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM

What kind of DVD menus/chapters can it produce on a DVD-R?
    strictly, the listed kind. No thumbnails (though you have moving thumbnails available when you playback your discs within this unit) and the titles are simply written out as list, with a very slow, laborious keystroke process to enter the data.

the rest, I'm not sure about.
    Quote Quote  
  21. GregN, did you ever get the 9911 and compare it to your other VCRs? I'd be curious to hear the results of this test.

Also does anyone think there is an advantage to using the VCR on which the material was recorded... I've noticed that the PQ on the TV always seems a little better if I use the machine that recorded the tape to play the tape. I wonder if the use of the "original" machine + a good TBC would meet or beat the quality of the 9911.

Thanks, nm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nmtk
    wonder if the use of the "original" machine + a good TBC would meet or beat the quality of the 9911.Thanks, nm
    Maybe about 10% of the time at most. Been there, done that., Do it often actually. Compare both, then run with best. Normally my 9800 (old version 9911) is better.

Mainly for tracking reasons. If I realigned my heads each tape, the 9800 would be 100% of the time.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The 9911 just came in yesterday, so too soon for me to form impressions yet.

One problem though..

Are you supposed to be able to hook up s-video cords to the JVC 9911 & the JVC DR-MV1? The connections are there, but when I've tried, the dvdr states that there is no signal. I tried recording anyway, and I get sound but no picture.

I know it's highly questionable if you would get a better result on VHS transfers via s-video, but I wanted to try nonetheless. I just can't figure out what's wrong. Any ideas?

oh, and I think I've got the input/output connections right (at least the same ones are working for composite video, i.e., L1 inputs on dvdr & then the a/v outputs on the vcr).
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But WAIT.. there's more!

another problem that I'm befuddled by.

I can no longer edit my video on this dvdr. I go to the Navigation screen, highlight the segment that I want to work on (wanting to chop off some extra footage), but the "edit" and "protect" buttons on the bottom right corner of the screen are now faint/unavailable to choose.

These two buttons were available to choose before, but now they are not and I can't figure out why. The manual doesn't seem to help. And I don't think I've done anything radical from the time it was working/available and now. I also tried unplugging the unit for a while and still nothing. And no, the discs I am using are the same as before, plus, none of them are finalized.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GregN
    I've tried, the dvdr states that there is no signal. I tried recording anyway, and I get sound but no picture.
    On the DR-M10S you must go into setup and choose either S-Video or Composite for both L1 and L2, I think the default is Composite. I would check there if you haven't already.

Mainly for tracking reasons. If I realigned my heads each tape, the 9800 would be 100% of the time.
    Lordsmurf: Are you implying that tracking adjustments can be performed by the average person? If so I'd sure like detailed instructions on how to do this on my JVC 7600.

Already had the top off and do my own cleaning now.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by GregN
    Are you supposed to be able to hook up s-video cords to the JVC 9911 & the JVC DR-MV1? The connections are there, but when I've tried, the dvdr states that there is no signal. I tried recording anyway, and I get sound but no picture.
    GregN, I believe you also have to change the setting in your VCR settings if you haven't already to S-Video.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys, I'll try both suggestions.

Do you think it's worth the effort for VHS transfers? Have you noticed any difference w/ s-video connections??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Offroad
    Lordsmurf: Are you implying that tracking adjustments can be performed by the average person? If so I'd sure like detailed instructions on how to do this on my JVC 7600. Already had the top off and do my own cleaning now. Thanks.
    Not really. I have a friend do it, and I've payed for place to do it too. It's an alignment of the heads issue. I've done it a few times, but I don't really have the tools for a precision job. I have 5 machines with different alignments.
    Quote Quote  
  29. You can only use the EDIT & PROTECT options on a DVD-RW in the VR Mode or on a DVD-RAM. You can not use them on DVD-R or with a DVD-RW in the VIDEO Mode.
    Quote Quote