VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm going to call Crutchfield tomorrow and order the other unit, if they truly have it. I don't like DVD-RW, but it's looking to be the overall best LSI unit to date, as I always expected.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by xiaNaix
    Any recommendations on an external TBC?

BTW, I contacted JVC Support via email and asked for any information on their DVD recorders.
    I contacted them 2 weeks ago in reference to their (I think) top of the line HDD DVDR, the DR-MV30S. The response back was "there are no plans at this time to offer this model in the US". Take that for whatever it's worth. Don't know if the person who responded would really have the inside scoup, but it certainly doesn't look promising.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Troubling development, not to mention an odd one...

When dubbing from VHS on this unit, unless the tape is in really outstanding shape, the DVD image shown on the monitor (and recorded on the subsequent DVD-R copy) will show a wavy-type distortion, or right direction smearing, along the horizontal top eighth of the picture. This distortion is NOT being displayed AT ALL on the VHS tape, just on the dubbed-to DVD!

If it's an artifact from some image stabilization or enhancement process, well then, it's hurting much more than whatever modest gains I'm seeing from the rest of the image capture!

Any ideas why this could be happening!?!?!?

If it's not a malfunction, then I wouldn't recommend this unit to anyone who wants the convenience of the dual deck for VHS transfers.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by GregN
    I contacted them 2 weeks ago in reference to their (I think) top of the line HDD DVDR, the DR-MV30S. The response back was "there are no plans at this time to offer this model in the US".

Sheesh! What's all this then?:

http://www.877camcorder.com/drmh30sl.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can also order the APEX DRX-9200 and 9300 from Amazon ... but they're not out either.

Too much of this pre-sell crap for my tastes !!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tag
    Sheesh! What's all this then?:

http://www.877camcorder.com/drmh30sl.html
    I've seen somewhere on that site, pages that list dozens of "coming soon" items. Maybe they're just guessing.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by GregN
    Troubling development, not to mention an odd one...

When dubbing from VHS on this unit, unless the tape is in really outstanding shape, the DVD image shown on the monitor (and recorded on the subsequent DVD-R copy) will show a wavy-type distortion, or right direction smearing, along the horizontal top eighth of the picture. This distortion is NOT being displayed AT ALL on the VHS tape, just on the dubbed-to DVD!

If it's an artifact from some image stabilization or enhancement process, well then, it's hurting much more than whatever modest gains I'm seeing from the rest of the image capture!

Any ideas why this could be happening!?!?!?

If it's not a malfunction, then I wouldn't recommend this unit to anyone who wants the convenience of the dual deck for VHS transfers.
    Try using an external VHS deck to input that source into the recorder. Could also be a shielding problem if your deck is too close to a television, subwoofer, etc. I've dubbed some really ugly tapes that were more than fifteen years old and recorded in EP speed with no such distortion problems.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The JVC 160 GB hard drive model being released in the US is the DR-MH30s, not the DR-MV30 so that may be why their is some confusion. It should be released in June.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sheesh, they're sticklers for specificity then, as I left off the "SL" from my description.

Try using an external VHS deck to input that source into the recorder. Could also be a shielding problem if your deck is too close to a television, subwoofer, etc. I've dubbed some really ugly tapes that were more than fifteen years old and recorded in EP speed with no such distortion problems.
    Yes, I was going to try and hook up an external deck, though I've gotta figure out how to wire it so that I still can see what's going on with the image on my monitor.

I didn't think about the shielding issue.. I"ve got the recorder sitting right on top of the TV.. I'll try moving that first, but somehow I doubt that this will work. (But I hope it does!)

Thanks for the advice
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by JCWBobC
    The JVC 160 GB hard drive model being released in the US is the DR-MH30s, not the DR-MV30 so that may be why their is some confusion.

Looks that way. Besides, the MV30 (actually SR-MV30U) has already been released and appears to be sort of a prosumer version of the MV1 (i.e. combo DVD/SVHS recorder with TBC).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just ordered the JVC DRM10SL from Crutchfield over the phone. He said they ARE in stock and I will have it Friday afternoon.

I have now found my more-sturdy LSI recorders.

If that JVC is anywhere near as good as the combo deck (DVD-RW Video mode only here, not VRO ), then it's a keeper. It's $399, no tax, no shipping.

The LiteOn 5001 was $247 after tax and it hacked great. I'll be adding maybe $10 more by adding a custom fan and heatsink later today or tomorrow. That's still a better deal than the 5005. Only if the custom job fails will I break down and grab a 5005.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    The Japanese page for the MV1/MF1 lists it as having a TBC...

http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/dvd/dr-mv1/spec.html

Here's the UK page for the M10...

http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=DR-M10SEK&catid=18&lid=
    But what does it do? It's not like the SVHS TBC's. This is probably like the Panasonic ones, which are almost useless. Some help, but not much.

This is from the MV30U page on JVC's web site:

Pre-Processor reduces noise in analog source signal before MPEG-2 encoding by way of Time Base Corrector (TBC) to eliminate jitter contained in analog signals, Frame Synchronizer to correct frame crossover jitter, and Motion Active Noise Reduction which uses an algorithm to ensure moving images free of smear and lag.

I wonder if the consumer models (e.g. M10SL, MV1) have this or something similar. I tend to doubt it, though, since the MV30U costs about twice as much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The TBC in the PRO model is the SVHS style TBC, probably 2MB.

No such mention is made on the DR-M1SUS or DR-M10SL models. Only in a few PDF specs on JVC sites, but nothing meaty I can sink my teeth into.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The fan on this DR-M1SUS combo unit runs 24/7 ... ... maybe something to worry about? Maybe not.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    The TBC in the PRO model is the SVHS style TBC, probably 2MB.
    In that case, I guess I don't get it. I've seen the MV30U for $800, the M10SL for $400, and the HRS-9911 for $349. Wouldn't one be better off buying the latter two rather than the MV30U? One thing is you'd save 50 bucks right off the bat.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You don't et it ... combo unit means ONE ITEM and some people want that. You pay for the convenience. Though repair bills will make you pay even more, as combo units have never stood the test of time.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    .....as combo units have never stood the test of time.

Yeah, I got that! But now we're talking about JVC's PRO line. That's a different story, right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tag
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    .....as combo units have never stood the test of time.

Yeah, I got that! But now we're talking about JVC's PRO line. That's a different story, right?
    You'd think so, but not necessarily.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I use a Panasonic e30 & get great results been using it for more than 15 months. But you can get a e55 that can do 8 hours per disk for around $272 at buydig.com Target has it too at $349.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sure, it's cheap and all, but the quality of a Panasonic cannot come close to an LSI chip working in good conditions (like a JVC does).
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dear lord, I think you need to qualify your statement to reflect that your opinion is based on 4+ hour performance superiority. Poor handyguy is gonna end up thinkin' that you're even dissing Panasonic XP/SP recordings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GregN
    dear lord, I think you need to qualify your statement to reflect that your opinion is based on 4+ hour performance superiority. Poor handyguy is gonna end up thinkin' that you're even dissing Panasonic XP/SP recordings.
    True, but it's actually a test on anything beyond 2 hours. Mainly just 3 and 4 hour modes. For anybody wanting just 1-2 hours, buy whatever you want, as they all look the same, within a certain degree. Panasonics also suffer from IRE issues and color loss. And RAM or R only, hate it even more as I talk about it.

The JVC actually fights to keep saturation, something I was impressed with. Most recorders lose a small bit of color, some worse than others.
    Quote Quote  
  23. The Samsung HR-800 is another "pre-order" DVD-recoder settop with the LSI Logic (formely C-Cube) 8600 encoder chip, but no mention of TBC that I could find.

http://www.lsilogic.com/news/product_news/2004_02_17c.html

A few vendors have listed it for $500, while the JVC HR-30 pre-order price averages $700.

I also have the Lite-On 5001, and lipsync on a 6hr recording is often off by 4 or 5 seconds towards the end. TBC is a must for old tapes. At least the gap between DVD+R and DVD-R blank discs is narrowing. Tempting to wait for new models, but for example, it will be at least another 2 years before dual-layer (DVD-9) recordable discs reach the same cost/Gigabyte point as today's single-layer discs, or H.264 is added to recorders -- doubling again the recordable hours/disc (for a given quality).

I agree that the 3 to 4 hr mode (single layer disc) is the true mark of efficiency. The LSI chip also does an amazing job with SIF (352x240) video.
    Quote Quote  
  24. WOW!!! I shut myself away from this site for a while so not to be influenced by anyones judgment of this recorder. I finally got some me time and been able to play with it a lot more. However, it looks like all the bases have been covered. I am by no means any professional, I only do this as a hobby.

I recorded some programming off of Direct TV and am very pleased with the quality. Like I said before, a lot better then the previous 4 standalones that I tried. I think as a DVD recorder it is great. It makes me want to keep it. I still have a few days.

As far as a dubbing machine, well I'm not so sure. I dubbed from the VCR (and yes it was a little confusing but once you get the hang of it it works) and recorded from an external VCR (JVC HRS-3800) with an external TBC (datavideo 1000). Here are some stills. I chose a movie that wasn't to new cause most of the stuff you record to dvd is older. This movie seamed to be right in the middle as far as it's usage.

DR-MV1 dub

External VCR with TBC

What do you guys think?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The JVC actually fights to keep saturation, something I was impressed with. Most recorders lose a small bit of color, some worse than others.
    It seems to actually "punch up" the saturation, not just maintain it. Also, the image is smoothed out a little as well. Nothing to jump up and down about, mind you, but a little something is still better than nothing.

Now, if I could only stop that annoying smearing at the top of the screen. I've played with the picture control options (norm, edit, sharp), as well as the 'on/off' option for the video stabilizer, both of which are accessed by the "set up" buttom for the VCR side. The video stabilizer does eliminate the problem, but then introduces an annoying freeze frame effect, as if screen image gets hung up for a quarter second every few seconds. Like the smearing problem, this only shows up during playback/recording on the dvd side of the displayed image. Again, none of these problems appear on the VCR displayed image.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tommyoz - thanks for posting the screen shots.

To my eyes, and viewed on my monitor, the second image looks darker and/or more color saturated. Sharpness and detail appear to be very similar between the two. Seems like a toss-up to me.

My monitor is showing some age spots, and I'm not sure how well it's calibrated, so take my comments with a grain of sea salt.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GregN
    It seems to actually "punch up" the saturation, not just maintain it. Also, the image is smoothed out a little as well. Nothing to jump up and down about, mind you, but a little something is still better than nothing.

Now, if I could only stop that annoying smearing at the top of the screen. I've played with the picture control options (norm, edit, sharp), as well as the 'on/off' option for the video stabilizer, both of which are accessed by the "set up" buttom for the VCR side. The video stabilizer does eliminate the problem, but then introduces an annoying freeze frame effect, as if screen image gets hung up for a quarter second every few seconds. Like the smearing problem, this only shows up during playback/recording on the dvd side of the displayed image. Again, none of these problems appear on the VCR displayed image.
    It does "punch up" the color, but only on display during recording. On the actual recorded disc, this effect is not seen. I'm assuming this is a byproduct of maintaining the color. Since it is not shown on the final DVD, I've not worried much.

The VCR sucks. Like I said, it's about as good as a JVC HR-S2901, which may be better than many VHS systems, but it's not a compliment.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by GregN
    To my eyes, and viewed on my monitor, the second image looks darker and/or more color saturated. Sharpness and detail appear to be very similar between the two. Seems like a toss-up to me.

All I can do is add a "ditto" to Greg's post........very similar on my 21" display with the exception of color saturation.

Personally, though, I prefer the top image; it's simply more "natural looking" to my eyes. Some, I'm sure, will prefer the bottom claiming the top image appears too washed out. My response to that would be, "yeah, the top image does appear to be "washed out" but only in comparison to the bottom image".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is a bit washed out.

But the PC RGB will look different than a TV YUV.
    Only tommyoz can tell us how it looks on his tv for sure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IMPORTANT ISSUE !!!

If you use Womble MPEG-VCR to edit these files, use a newer version. My old version would make BAD FILES. I edited at least 2-3 shows before I realize the audio was bad (because of Womble on the new edits).
    Quote Quote