VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by lacywest
    I noticed at Walmart ... they have a Sanyo model ... DVD Recorder/VCR recorder ... I didn't catch the model number. $400 bucks.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2598446&cat=52782&type=19&dept=4...A52782%3A52782

Is that it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy
    I don't think you should use EP mode, thats 6 hours per dvd. Most of the topic on the forum are about getting 2 hours on a dvd. So you're gonna have some quality issues if you try to put 6 hours on. Try LP mode. thats 4 hours.

the board has forums for recorders, here are a couple jvcs:
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDnameid=288&Search=Search&list=0#comments

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDnameid=142&Search=Search&list=0#comments
    I get decent results using Flex Record ... recording for 3 hours ... on my Panasonic E50S. I'm using a DVD-RAM ... and just recording TV Shows for the 8 PM -- 11 PM time slot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by xiaNaix
    Originally Posted by lacywest
    I noticed at Walmart ... they have a Sanyo model ... DVD Recorder/VCR recorder ... I didn't catch the model number. $400 bucks.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2598446&cat=52782&type=19&dept=4...A52782%3A52782

Is that it?
    Yep ... that's the one
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So what's it like to edit on this JVC combo unit?

Can you pick out segments from a VHS tape and only transfer those over to the dvd-r or dvd-ram, in a neat/clean fashion?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tommyoz

I will keep testing and report back. One test I plan to do is to record from an external VCR as oppose to the internal.
    Get ye back to the forum and cough up some more info, please. :P
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by GregN
    Get ye back to the forum and cough up some more info, please. :P
    NO!! I'm keeping it all to myself :P

Seriously speaking, 2 things have set me back. Moving to a new house and getting sick. All my equipment is back together now. All I have to do is take the time to start testing. I won't say when that might be so not to mislead anyone.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I haven't had much time to test my unit either. Today, I decided to transfer a recent VCD screener over to DVD. Instead of the PC-based method I usually use, I hooked my DVD player into the JVC and recorded it that way. All I can says is "Wow!" The JVC cleaned up nearly ALL of the MPEG artifacting from the VCD. The resulting DVD looks absolutely incredible. I think I'll be going this route when doing VCD/SVCD to DVD-R transfers from now on. :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought one of these today.

Though I loved the APEX units, they will not take my level of abuse much longer, so I sold them off to people with lesser frequency of use. I'm scared of the PSUs burning out on me from being on so much. I was getting power-on issues that made me grit my teeth a few times too often.

Anyway, so I set out to find new LSI encoders.

People around here have never heard of LiteOn, outside of the goobers at CompUSucks, and I'm not really interested in a 5001 that could melt and has a 15% return policy. I'll probably get the 5005 online.

In the meantime, needed something else. I really want the JVC DR-MV10S (non-VHS) recorder, but it's a no-show on shelves. So I grabbed what was available to tide me over.

The JVC seems to be *almost* as perfect as the Apex. On a really grainy S-VHS-ET tape, I saw some very mild amoeba-blocks on the encode, but still far better than other chip recorders. My test may not have been fair using this old tape, so I'll probably redo it soon, with some other tapes I finished with the Apex machines. I'll re-compare then.

The RAM discs are $5 for a 10-pack after rebate at Best Buy, so that was nice.

The unit provides the same quality that I'm used to, for the most part. The remote and all is a mess. Having a combo units is quite irritating, and I still can't get the VHS->DVD dub to work internally (could be user error).

This is by far the most perfect PAL player I've ever seen in the USA. It played a homemade progressive 352x240 MPEG2 PAL DVD that would not play anywhere else.

Typical MV prevention on copying MV tapes. Typical dumbass region prevention, so be prepared to backup your discs first to remove region.

I haven't checked for firmware updates or hacks, etc, yet ... can only hope they exist.

It actually plays S-VHS-ET tapes perfectly. That's unusual for SQPB. A nice surprise. It has the same quality of playback as a JVC HR-S2901U, just without the Super VHS recording function. That's not a real compliment, but it's better than a standard VHS player.

The $500 price tag wasn't all that nice, but I'm probably going to return it anyway, in about 10 days or so. I'd rather have the 5005 or the other JVC.

I'm still trying to find the Samsung too... I want to give it one last look.

Haven't tried FR yet. Looks easy enough.

UPDATE1: This dumbass 4-hour mode is 480x480 ... now I know why it isn't quite as perfect as the Apex. The bitrate is too spread out. Gonna test to see if I can change it. If not, this goes back to the store. What kind of silly DVD recorder doesn't make fully-compliant DVDs?

UPDATE2: Using FR mode, and expanding from 4:02 default 4-hour mode to the 4:08 time FR, it gives 352x480 Half D1 fully compliant video and looks much better than regular 4-hour. Odd.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Eh? You scared me nearly to death there LordSmurf. I checked a record I did in 4-hour LP mode and it was 352x480. I don't know how you ended up with 480x480. Odd indeed.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I picked up this unit yesterday as well. My first DVD recorder ever!, but only to try it out for a while and get my feet wet, so to speak. I usually don't buy things with the intention of returning them, but.. well, this time, I am.

First issue, the dubbing from VHS to DVD isn't always consistent. I'm not sure if it's a malfunction or if it's something I"m doing wrong. There is a step where you are supposed to, after pausing at the start of your VHS tape segment, switch over to the dvd side, hit 'pause' and then the record button simultaneously, and then hit/hold 'dubbing'. Recording should commense, but it doesn't always do it. odd.

Another negative is that the only chapters available are ones that get automatically assigned every 5 minutes. Prior to finalization, you can create breaks/chapters wherever you want, but they're all lost once you finalize. Not sure what the point of THAT is (useful for only those who never finalize, I guess).

One good thing is the edit points are reasonably accurate. The manual warns that the actual start/stop timing of the dubbings may be off by several seconds. But so far, it's seems within a second or so of accuracy.

The major reason I wanted to try this unit out was for all the supposed picture enhancements available. So far, I can't say that I'm all that impressed. I"ve fed the unit VHS tapes in varying degrees of quality, and it's either the same quality output or maaaybe, some slight improvement from time to time. Nothing to get excited about really. So far.

Again, only after one day of use from an admitted video novice, so take what I say for what it's worth. *zilch*

You'll be hearing from me soon. that's a threat. :P
    Quote Quote  
  11. Well... you can't expect miracles when working with VHS sources. As you said, this unit seems to deliver quality that is at least as good as the original tape, if not slightly better. That's a good thing. I've seen plenty of dubs from other recorders that look worse than the master tape. I don't think you'd get better results from any other recorder.

I haven't had any problems with the dubbing buttons. It is relatively confusing, so I always have to look at the manual. You have to hold the button in for a few seconds.

I don't use any of the chapter functions because I do all of my menu work on the PC. I recommend checking out a program called TMPG DVD Author. Your can import files from the disc recorded on your JVC, do minor editing, set chapters, create menus, etc. There's no re-encoding. It works great and you can create much better looking discs that way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I also could not get it to internally record from VHS to DVD. However, seeing how the VHS player is far, far inferior to my other JVC tapes decks, not a real loss. Just an aggravation that the feature won't work. I connect a better player to the DVD recorder for dubbing.

Some of the instructions in the book are a bit confounding, but no worse than any of electronics item. Engineer-quality writing.

I'm about 60% sure I'm taking this back to the store. It's probably a nice buy for many of you out there that are just getting started, but it does not suit my needs.
    Quote Quote  
  13. LordSmurf, I hope you will continue testing before you take it back. I was looking forward to your opinions on the quality of final output compared to the other recorders.

Did you figure out how you ended up with a 480x480 encode?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the manual is confusing at times, I agree.

Well... you can't expect miracles when working with VHS sources. As you said, this unit seems to deliver quality that is at least as good as the original tape, if not slightly better. That's a good thing. I've seen plenty of dubs from other recorders that look worse than the master tape. I don't think you'd get better results from any other recorder.

I haven't had any problems with the dubbing buttons. It is relatively confusing, so I always have to look at the manual. You have to hold the button in for a few seconds.
    Well, what you say makes sense, I guess, but since I've heard enough examples of where the DVDR actually improved the quality of VHS... I can't help but be a little disappointed. Particularly when this JVC supposedly has even more enhancements than the average DVDR.

As far as the dubbing, yes, you do have to hold the button down long enough for it to take hold. But, the problem I am referring to reveals itself before that, when a red circle w/ slash appears when trying to do the "pause/record" sequence on the DVD side. Doesn't happen all the time and as far as I can tell, I'm not doing anything differently.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another thing I can't figure out is when I go to play a finalized disc on my PC's DVD program (Direct Show), I have to jump to the first (or next) chapter mark in order to get the disc to play. I can then rewind back to the beginning to play it from the start, but I must do that convoluted step first. That's happened with my first two burned discs so far. Any ideas as to what's wrong?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LordSmurf, I hope you will continue testing before you take it back. I was looking forward to your opinions on the quality of final output compared to the other recorders.

Did you figure out how you ended up with a 480x480 encode?
    I always decompile my discs and edit on a PC. To me, the DVD recorder is just a more convenient capture device, with it's own uses for restoration too. LP mode is 480x480 on this one I have here. Not sure if a firmware upgrade will change that, but I won't be looking for one.

With all the JVC S-VHS decks I have here, another JVC deck is useless (even if it is "just" VHS, it plays back S-VHS and amazingly even S-VHS-ET perfectly).

It is a solid machine. I think it may last the test of time, at least the DVD recorder part. The VHS player reminds me of the 3600/3800/2900 units, so look at it for dying/choking within 12 months like most of those low JVC's tend to do. Again, ONLY the VHS aspect. That can be fixed pretty easy at a JVC certified service center for about $50-60, normally just an alignment gone bad or grunge built up on the heads.

I'm 90% sure it's going back to the store. I don't generally like dual-decks and I feel like I'm buying something I don't really need (VHS aspect).

The DVD-RAM part I do not like. The -R and -RW is fine. DVD+RW is far easier to work with, but DVD-RW isn't too much different. DVD-RAM is like another world of its own.

Quality wise, it is as I expected from the LSI chips (EXCELLENT!), when the resolution is 720x480 and 352x480. The FR mode does quite well.

When I saw the 480x480 from JVC, I thought "well, better than Panasonic and Cirrus chips ... but why not like Apex?" Seeing 480x480 in Womble and MPEG Properties confirmed it. Inadequate bitrate. Pumping up the time to FR 4:08 (Apex 4-hour time) gave it that familiar 352x480 high quality.

The JVC does get a bit hot on the bottom, and that does bother me some. In my tv room (where I use a recorder to record tv shows and old stuff for personal things), that would not be acceptable. In my office, all of my equipment can breathe, so no big deal there.

I'm going to keep it for 9 more days. I want to play with it more, mainly FR mode and to see if any other odd res/bitrate combos happen. There is still a slight chance I'll keep it, but when I can get a $230 LiteOn or a $500 JVC, I'd rather take the lesser one for udner half price, and then save that extra for another TBC.

I bought a LiteOn 5001 today for my tv room. I want to play with it for a while, may keep it too.

If you are new to this, and do not have a good VCR yet, and want to use a DVD recorder to transfer non-MV protected tapes to DVD (or just use it with GuidePlus or timer for tv shows), then this is an excellent machine, especially if you're tight on space. But thinking about numbers, a JVC HR-S2901 or 3902 is $100. The LiteOn 5001 (no fan, can overheat) is $230 and the 5005 (good fan) is $320. Is it really worth $75-100 more for FR mode?

JVC should have released the DVD-only recorder instead of this.

If you want a combo unit, this is the one to get. If you're not all big on combos, I'd pass over this one and find the LiteOn 5005 (the with-fan 5001 upgrade, few other features too).

And don't bother with DVD-RAM. I'm now convinced that's only good for corporate backups. Use a DVD-RW and use DVD-Video mode. Forget that VRO crap. Getting it off the disc to a PC is such an adventure, takes longer than the other method (and with me wasted time is a bad thing).

I'll take notes on the JVC quality since you're interested..
    Quote Quote  
  17. If you are inerested in the Jvc model check out www.ecost.com. They have it for $389 in their countdown bargain area.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I don't like DVD-RAM either. I've been using DVD-RW. I try to stay away from the + format as well.

I still can't figure out how you ended up with a 480x480 encode. I did another test record in 4-hour mode and it was 352x480. Have you done any other LP recording?

I was looking at the LiteOn 5005 as well. I went with the JVC because it was available locally (the 5005 isn't) and has the built-in TBC. I'd be curious to hear your opinion as to how much it helps, if at all. I may still pick up a 5005 just to have a second recorder in the house. Plus, I like the fact that you can also record VCD/SVCD with the LiteOn.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The DR-MV10S was delayed. Nobody got their April shipment, and nothing has come in as of May. I've confirmed this with at least 5-10 merchants.

I have found no information or evidence that the DR-MV1 has a TBC. It merely has the pre-processing chips associated with most LSI boards.

Two LP mode encodes produced 480x480 encodes.

The LiteOn VBR is restrictive. Unlike the JVC and Apex, the max VBR bitrate is almost 1000 lower (3.9 max vs 2.8 max bitrates). This is 4-hour mode with 2.5 VBR avg. At first, I thought the LiteOn was CBR. It almost is, with this kind of low max.

I may go grab the Sony RDR-GX7 to compare some thing later today. I'm wanting a DVD recorder only with a good long life span (good build, good cooling), and can provide top quality at a 3-4 hour mode.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    The DR-MV10S was delayed. Nobody got their April shipment, and nothing has come in as of May. I've confirmed this with at least 5-10 merchants.

I have found no information or evidence that the DR-MV1 has a TBC. It merely has the pre-processing chips associated with most LSI boards.

You mean the M10SL? It appears as if Crutchfield has them:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5KPxhAaYUpu/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=257DRM10SL

Further, if the MV1 doesn't have a TBC, can we assume the M10SL also does not have one?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Here's something interesting I found on the B&H Photo web site:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=326857...#goto_itemInfo

Combo unit that has a TBC (a bit more expensive than the MV1, though).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tag
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf

You mean the M10SL? It appears as if Crutchfield has them:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5KPxhAaYUpu/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=257DRM10SL

Further, if the MV1 doesn't have a TBC, can we assume the M10SL also does not have one?
    Yeah, that's the one. I'll call them tomorrow. If they have it, I'll order it. That's more along the lines of what I'd be interested in. Though I still don't like the DVD-RAM/-RW. Would rather +RW
    Quote Quote  
  23. The Japanese page for the MV1/MF1 lists it as having a TBC...

http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/dvd/dr-mv1/spec.html

Here's the UK page for the M10...

http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=DR-M10SEK&catid=18&lid=
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Japanese page for the MV1/MF1 lists it as having a TBC...

http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/dvd/dr-mv1/spec.html

Here's the UK page for the M10...

http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=DR-M10SEK&catid=18&lid=
    But what does it do? It's not like the SVHS TBC's. This is probably like the Panasonic ones, which are almost useless. Some help, but not much.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Any recommendations on an external TBC?

BTW, I contacted JVC Support via email and asked for any information on their DVD recorders.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any recommendations on an external TBC?

BTW, I contacted JVC Support via email and asked for any information on their DVD recorders.
    What are you doing to insure your files are 352x480 LP mode?
    By what exact process do you move files from disc to PC?

I'll try with a DVD-RW and see if it's a VRO bug.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    What are you doing to insure your files are 352x480 LP mode?
    By what exact process do you move files from disc to PC?

I'll try with a DVD-RW and see if it's a VRO bug.
    That's it! Just tried it myself. Recording at LP in VRO mode gives 480x480 output. WTF? Doesn't really matter, since I use video mode anyway, but odd nonetheless.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Same here. I just did DVD-RW in DVD-Video mode, and it's perfectly, that familiar 352x480 quality I came to love from Apex.

It's a defect of VRO on DVD-RAM.

Did you try VRO on DVD-RW or on -RAM ?

Time to complain to JVC to fix the firmware !!!
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Same here. I just did DVD-RW in DVD-Video mode, and it's perfectly, that familiar 352x480 quality I came to love from Apex.

It's a defect of VRO on DVD-RAM.

Did you try VRO on DVD-RW or on -RAM ?

Time to complain to JVC to fix the firmware !!!
    I used a DVD-RW.

I doubt if they'll update the firmware any time soon since the model(s) aren't even on their U.S. website yet.
    Quote Quote