VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I used powervcr to cap some videos

how can I get the audio and video to sync? The audio syncs perfectly with no problem for the first 10 mins maybe but after that,it just slowly starts to go off sync. When I manage to sync the last half,the first half goes off sync.

I tried ripping the MP2 using goldwave and saving as wav and saving it as wav from vdubmod,both audio files have different durations,why is that? How can I sync the audio for the entire video,instead of just the first half or second half,I gotta know this ASAP,its really urgent.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not urgent to me . This is a hobby
    Quote Quote  
  3. I gave up on powervcr could not get the audio in sync with the Video no matter what I tried. I Use windvr instead or main concept encoder to do my captures.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use power vcr with no problems. What format are you capturing to? Try a lower resolution to see what happens.
    "Whenever I need to "get away,'' I just get away in my mind. I go to my imaginary spot, where the beach is perfect and the water is perfect and the weather is perfect. The only bad thing there are the flies. They're terrible!" Jack Handey
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Put up your PC specs in your profile. That makes it easier for people to help you.

I completely agree with FOO.

Remember the rules:

Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems
    Quote Quote  
  6. well....I got a
    P4 2.6ghz
    512MB ram
    Cap with this http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Product_Id=144533
    WinXP home ed

thats all...and btw,this ain't a hobby,I got some vids I gotta cap ASAP. So...its quite important. And I don't really know how to describe this prob in topic...since it isn't really all audio/sync probs...how can I sync the audio and vid together instead of just sync one part and the other messed up?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you capturing your video to .avi then use AV_IO and PICVIDEO MJPEG codec. Guarantee the audio and video will be in sync.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Try capturing with VirtualDub - it's free and I have found that it works very well.

Here's a guide - many more guides to the left (in green) incase this one doesn't suit you:

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/160618.php

There is an option somewhere in VirtualDub under an audio menu that says something like "Lock audio stream to video". I can't remember whether this is meant to be on or off to adjust audio to sync to video. Try it both ways, if it is working and syncing audio you'll see a skew/drift in ms in the readout VirtualDub gives you.

Also, the next time you post, could you be a little more descriptive please? It helps other users search and find answers for themselves, makes it easy to know if I can help or not, and it avoids getting some users a little agitated. Some users just bypass topics titled like this one, so you're actually less likely to get an answer.

Anyway, best of luck with your capture. Oh, and another tip: in the Morgan MJPEG codec, I have found quality setting 90 to be the best balance between space and very good quality.

Cobra
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks but,I can't cap in vdub,I get like 60% frame drops no matter what I do. I can only cap with ulead video studio with no frame drops. But its over 40GB and I don't have so much space. I tried powervcr and each is only around 2GB which is good but I have audio sync problems. How can I fix it? I guess it has something to do with the interleaving thing,what does it do actually?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by darknavi
    thats all...and btw,this ain't a hobby,I got some vids I gotta cap ASAP. So...its quite important.
    Tough. If it's that important (your job, a court case, etc.), then the resposibility falls on you. Are you willing to pay anyone who gets you out of this jam?

Everyone's question is important, otherwise they wouldn't post it. But important to the smallest degree, not job or life threatening, mainly convenience threatening.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Everyone's question is important, otherwise they wouldn't post it.
    True but....not really true,everyone's questions are important but only a few get answered and of those few,most of them are useless posts that don't contribute much to solving the problem. As for paying someone....I don't think anyone would pay just to solve this problem...its not like you need a genius to fix this,just someone who knows can fix it.

If everyone paid to get their problems fixed....guess there will be chaos,like...OMG...virus....*pays $10 to have it removed* and again...detected 10 viruses....*pays $100 to have it removed* and again....mouse ain't working(didn't plugin/install driver)...*pays $100 to get it fixed* and again....unable to switch on CPU(problem is,it ain't plugged in) *pays $100 to have it fixed* So....its not that hard...you can just fix most problems yourself. It just depends on how helpful the people are,thats what this forum is for,its for asking questions I guess. :P

Anyone know what happened? Like my first half was sync but the 2nd half isn't? I didn't join my videos,I capped them as 1 file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Tough. If it's that important (your job, a court case, etc.), then the resposibility falls on you
    Gee, I think this is a bit rough. It's obviously important to HIM. Lets not be so cranky that we can't cut a bit of slack here.
    Have you tried capturing at a lower resolution? Do you want to burn to DVD or VCD? The trouble is we don't really know much. How big is this video? will it fit on a VCD as a mpeg1 ?
    "Whenever I need to "get away,'' I just get away in my mind. I go to my imaginary spot, where the beach is perfect and the water is perfect and the weather is perfect. The only bad thing there are the flies. They're terrible!" Jack Handey
    Quote Quote  
  13. hmmm...this is what I did.

Cap with powervcr,at the highest bitrate and resolution possible. 30mins is around 2GB.

I capped in MPEG2 so it will be better quailty and smaller. I am gonna use vdubmod to edit it(remove commericals) and save it as avi(xvid 900). I have no problems with the video. But the audio sync is off,really off,it begins fine at first but its as if it slowly go off sync by 5ms every 1 sec. Its not 5ms though,just an example,so if its 5ms every sec,it will be off by 3 secs after 30+ secs I think. So it slowly goes off sync. How can I prevent this?

Btw,its not a job or court case...thats kinda too serious for me,unless if I rob a bank and they record me doing it or something....but I doubt I will do that Why rob a bank when you can have someone hostage or trap an entire building like in the movies and ask for a helicopter instead :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't understand why you would capture in mpeg 2 then convert to AVI later. If your hard drive is too small to do it in one hit (in AVI) then do it in sections and join later. I'm afraid I'm not expert enough to go further, but there are plenty on this forum who are. Lets hope they look in.
    Quote Quote  
  15. ya...well...do you know how to fix the sync so the audio just joins with the video without anything extra?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you still want using your current software, please check the fps(frame per second) setting. If your video source is PAL then you should set the frame rate to 25 fps and for NTSC it should be 29.97. I see you have drop frame issues also. This can be fixed with a good codec. Morgan or PICVIDEO is fine. To find out what you already have... goto control panel and select Multimedia... you should be able to see what video codec is already in your PC.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I think I forgot to mention this. I have no problems playing the video,the video and audio sync prefectly(MPEG2)

But when I open the MPEG2 in vdub,the sync are way off. Plus when I encode it,I remove the audio,then ripped it from the MPEG2 with vdubmod and add it to my encode. What should I do so the sync will be in order? In my post I said something about the audio slowly going off sync like 1ms every frame/sec. So it wouldn't be long before it goes a few secs off sync. What should I do
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    think I forgot to mention this. I have no problems playing the video,the video and audio sync prefectly(MPEG2)
    I'm totally confused now. I thought out of sync audio was THE problem.
    If you intend to edit in V-Dub then try Womble to see if that works.
    Quote Quote  
  19. audio sync is the prob. When I open it in vdub/vdubmod or anything,the audio sync goes off. And the sync slowly goes off by a few ms every sec or frame. Audio skew correction worked,it fixed the sync at the beginning but at towards the end,the sync goes off,if I sync the end,the beginning goes off,how can I sync both or just join the audio to the avi without any mess ups or having it go off sync by 1ms every sec/frame
    Quote Quote  
  20. True but....not really true,everyone's questions are important but only a few get answered and of those few,most of them are useless posts that don't contribute much to solving the problem. As for paying someone....I don't think anyone would pay just to solve this problem...its not like you need a genius to fix this,just someone who knows can fix it.
    Foo was correct in his comments to you. I don't always think it is productive to "jump" on people for this sort of thing but he is correct. Of course you could come up with a better subject than "Urgent Prob!". Of course someone would pay to fix this problem...If there weren't a helpful community like this one. "Just someone who knows can fix it" is the whole trick isn't it? It has nothing to do with being a genious or not. Your statement about "most of them are useless posts that don't contribute much to solving the problem" shows that you don't understand what a forum is. This isn't Microsoft Support. This is a community of people conversing with each other. It isn't nice to barge in crowing about how urgent your problem is and then criticize the room.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Microsoft support gotta be one of the worst support ever. Btw,why would I criticize this foum? If you are so good...you should know....the first rule of everything....read all pervious posts I did say something about the topic,I said I don't know what topic to put. If someone would pay for this problem although I know some who would.....that person either needs to have it ASAP within an hour or something.

As for the useless post part...its ok to have a conversation....but not a conversation to criticize my or anyone else post. If I don't intend to have a conversation...you think I would make my posts so long with so much parts that aren't really needed?

And again,this doesn't help solve problem but...its fun anyway,and again for the topic,I don't know what topic to use. So....why don't you name me one person that doesn't make any mistake from birth to death? :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So....why don't you name me one person that doesn't make any mistake from birth to death?
    There was one, haven't you seen Mel Gibson's latest movie. I won't spoil the ending.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    darknavi, So you are converting from MPEG2 to avi. Using one the conversion software from Tool section of this forum or doom9.org and convert straight from MPEG2 to avi. Don't demux (separate audio and video). This should ensure that you have both in sync.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I ain't really converting MPEG2 to avi,I actually add some filters to it in vdub and then encode it in xvid 900 but if I were to convert it...it would either be uncompressed over 30GB or it will be compressed xvid 900 but without filters and if I were to add filters after I encode,it wouldn't be good. Can I convert MPEG2 to avi with filters and xvid 900?

There was one, haven't you seen Mel Gibson's latest movie. I won't spoil the ending.
    Hmmm...movie...let me guess,passion of christ? And the perfect person would be jesus? Weird,I thought the terminator was perfect,guess he ísn't a person
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD to AVI tools are available here http://www.doom9.org/. Pick one that suits your need.
    Quote Quote  
  26. DVD to AVI tools are available here http://www.doom9.org/. Pick one that suits your need.
    But is it possible to do it in vdub isntead where I can use filters with it? Since it would be around 30GB uncompress,the reason I cap in MPEG2 isntead because its only 2Gb at highest quailty.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Your right, this is fun. Not one of your statements makes sense:

<Microsoft support gotta be one of the worst support ever. >
    I sited Microsoft Support as an example of paid support not good support. The point is that this forum is NOT paid support. Get It?

<Btw,why would I criticize this foum? >
    I don't know why, but you did.

<If you are so good...you should know....the first rule of everything....read all pervious posts >
    My brain hurts. What does that sentence mean or have to do with anything?

<I did say something about the topic,I said I don't know what topic to put.>
    What are you responding to here?

<If someone would pay for this problem although I know some who would.....that person either needs to have it ASAP within an hour or something. >
    Oh you mean like "Urgently"?

<As for the useless post part...its ok to have a conversation....but not a conversation to criticize my or anyone else post. >
    Oh, it's never ok to criticize a post? Says who?

<If I don't intend to have a conversation...you think I would make my posts so long with so much parts that aren't really needed? >
    I never said you didn't want a conversation.

<And again,this doesn't help solve problem but...its fun anyway,and again for the topic,I don't know what topic to use. >
    Uhmmm. how about... now this is just off the top of my head..."Sync Problem".

<So....why don't you name me one person that doesn't make any mistake from birth to death?>
    Are you really incapable of taking in any critique at all? We're not allowed to criticize your post unless I can point out someone who is perfect? Is your next post going to be titled "Help Now!!" because you can't absorb a little constructive criticism?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Your right, this is fun. Not one of your statements makes sense
    awww...com'on,aren't I allowed to have a little fun? This isn't about who is better or who is worst. Besides,this isn't sync problem so....I ain't even sure what prob it is since its the interleaving thing I guess,not sure its which.

Mircosoft's support....my OS came with my computer so I gotta contact HP instead,when I asked HP,they told me to ask microsoft and microsoft told me to ask HP......so....is that good?

And...this is really urgent,not as urgent as someone is gonna lose his life or i need it in an hour,urgent as in I need it within 2-3 days. And in case you didn't know....I NEVER use a topic like HELP NOW!! or OMG...HELP!! I never do anything like that ever :P Besides,I posted another topic on this forum a while ago,some were really helpful,I just can't remember what I did to fix the audio sync. I managed to sync it but I forgot to check my settings since it was night and I am really tired so I just clicked some stuff and leave it for the night and went to sleep so I can't remember what I did

Besides...this just make the topic more interesting,morever,I am sure you can point out more mistakes,just makes it more fun
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could try demuxing the source file to produce a silent video and a WAV file. Check the duration of both files. If the WAV file needs to be adjusted, use Goldwave or another audio editor of your choice to fix it.

You could then process the video as you need w/o sound and re-mux the sound later.

Just an idea... Your mileage may vary.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @darknavi:
    I have been following this thread all the way down and the one thing that
    strikes me is that you seem to gain a different problem every post. Start again, in full detail, exactly what you are starting with, what you wish to achieve, how you are going about it and the errors you are encountering. Plain english would be appreciated, and be thorough.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote