VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I have an XVID-DcN-DC2.avi file and am trying to convert it to an mpeg2 in order to author it to a dvd.

I researched in here but can't find the answer. I tried using Virtual Dub and using tmpgenc plus. but when i went to load the .vdr file I created using Virt. Dub, tmpengc said it was unsupported.

When i bring the xvid.avi directly into the tmpgenc I can only open the video file and not the audio.

I have figured out everything else and this is hopefully my last stumbling block.

Please can someone guide me to step by step instructions to take my xvid.avi file to convert to mpeg-2.

Thanks everyone!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank You !!!! so much for replying to my s.o.s

I read the guide and am installing the necessary software, but OMG, what a long process. And I thought taking a regular avi file to mpeg to dvd was a long process, this is even more arduous. I will try it. thanks!!

Wendi
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I didn't exactly go by the guide mentioned in above posting, when I went back to tmpgenc plus, both the audio and video came up when I selected the file. The audio worked perfect when I viewed the movie with windows media player. When I used TMPGenc Plus, the Authored it with TMPGenc DVD author and then Nero to burn, the movie turned out perfect, but NO sound.

So, I can take the Xvid.avi file and burn it, but do I really have to extract the audio.... etc etc to get this thing to work.

S.O.S. How do I take an Xvid.avi file and convert to Mpeg-2 so I can burn it to DVD???

Wendi
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is the audio in your original avi AC3 , if it is then you do need to seperate the audio and bring it back in the authoring stage. I use that particular guide for any files with AC3 audio and it works well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wendi
    When I used TMPGenc Plus, the Authored it with TMPGenc DVD author and then Nero to burn, the movie turned out perfect, but NO sound.

So, I can take the Xvid.avi file and burn it, but do I really have to extract the audio.... etc etc to get this thing to work.
    You've answered your own question (in reverse order). Follow the guide. Skipping steps screws things up.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, Ok, Ok, I will stop skipping steps. I am trying it now. I am at the part where TMPGenc Plus is doing its job. I used the virtual dub to remove it and save the ac3 and will join the 2 back up in authoring. Man oh man I hope this works. This is the last part of my journey I hope, then I can just return here to learn more, but I have to accomplish this first. Thanks everyone!!!

wendi
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Authored it with TMPGenc DVD author and then Nero to burn, the movie turned out perfect, but NO sound.
    Since you have already done this bit (converted to mpg2 dvd) all you need to do is mux in the ac3 (after extracting and fixing it 1st)

quicker than starting from from scratch again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    ...Follow the guide. Skipping steps screws things up.
    Originally Posted by wendi's brain
    I thought those steps I skipped weren't required...

Note to self: steps in guides are overrated - They're only there as page formatting and don't serve any useful purpose
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have encountered a problem. When I extracted the ac3 from the avi, it saved it in virt dub mod as an mp3 file. When I went to load it in the audio portion of the author software, it wouldn't recognize it. Gave me an error saying

Cannot use MPEG-x Audio Layer-x audio format for a standard DVD.

Cannot use MPEG-x Audio Layer-x audio format for a standard DVD.
    For a standard DVD you can only use the following audio formats:

Dolby Digital (AC-3), MPEG-1 Audio Layer-2, or Linear PCM.

For a standard DVD, you cannot use other than the above mentioned audio formats.

Please use the audio source after it has been converted into either Dolby Digital (AC-3), MPEG-1 Audio Layer-2, or Linear PCM or capture it in the correct format.

---

The vir dub mod automatically saved it as an mp3. Now what???? S.o.s. I am soooo close.

Wendi
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    export the file as a wav.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How????????
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do i export it as a wav in virt dub mod??????

S.o.s.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    but author dvd says it wants an ac3 or mpeg1 - layer 1 or something like that?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No No No No No , Why on earth did you save it as an MP3.

2. Extract the AC3 from the AVI
    Start Virtualdubmod.
    1. Open the video, File-Open
    2. Select Streams->Video list
    3. Select Demux and save the ac3 audio.

That is an extract from the guide.
    You are making it difficult for yourself ,
    Use VDubMod now and get your AC3 , then go to the Authoring step.

Have you printed out the guide because you next post will be 'I have AC3 Errors'
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wish i could talk to you andy LOL

I used virt mod dub. I did everything you said, i hit the demux button and it said to save it, but it saved it as an mp3 on its own. When i hit the drop down box below the saved name after hitting demux, it said mp3 or all files. It didn't give me any choices.

Now what
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I printed out the guide and am following it.

I got the error when trying to load the mp3 audio into the authoring software. I need an ac3 but virt dub mod won't save it that way.

If I can manage to save it as ac3 will i get more errors??? Please say no. I already downloaded beslice and have it ready.

I am tring to save my audio as a wave as suggested above until you tell me how to make virt dub mod save it as a frickin fracking ac3 file.

wendi
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In virt dub mod after hitting demux it says:

Saved File Type - after hitting the drop down arror i have 2 choices:

MPEG Audio (*.mp?)
    All Files (*.*)

There was no option for ac3.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Send your file(s) to andyp1

makntraks
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using virt dub mod 1.5.10.1

Sorry for being such a pest, i just have this one last step to figure out and dance to the comp gods that my ac3 doesn't mess up any further.

Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wendi
    I've just gone back earlier and haven't actually heard from you what audio the original AVI had. We are pretty much assuming it as AC3 I think.

Will you use GSpot and report back what it says about the video and audio in the file.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok OK OK , i got it. I know why it would not save it as an ac3 in virt dub mod.

when i opened the avi file in virt dub mod I got the following message:

---
    Virt dub has detected an improper vbr audio encoding in the source avi file (audio stream 1). The current preference is to rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatibility. THis may introduce up to 19890 ms of skew from the video stream. If this is unacceptable, decompress the *entire* audio stream to an uncompressed wav file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder (bitrate: 131.0 17.9 kbps)
    Do you still want to rewrite the header? Yes No

---

When I selected yes it only gave me the option of saving it as an mp3. When I loaded a diff avi file, I did NOT get this message and am able to save it as ac3 so I will go try that other file. In the meantime what do I do when I load avi files and see this message. I saw it on 2 diff avi files.

wendi
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it is an ac3 i think

gspot said this:

runtime: 1:33:59
    Bitrate 448
    FPS 23.97

am gonna try another avi file that doesn't give me the above mentioned error, but must be a way to do the ones that do give me the error
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK I just tried a file

Open VDubMod
    Open file
    When the message comes up press NO
    Click Streams
    Click Stream List

You should see one stream with ac3 written in it somewhere

One click on it
    Click Demux
    A poup window appears letting you save it
    Save it where you can find it.
    See pic below

Fingers crossed now.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok good news and bad news.

I selected another avi that did NOT bring up that virt dub mod error message and was able to save it as ac3 and am now going to do the next steps in the guide - tmpgenc - author etc.

HOWEVER, when i opened a file that DID bring up that error message and selected NO, (not sure how you put that printscreen in here or i would show you), and then I selected Streams - Stream List - The following description came up:

Desc: AVI audio stream 1 (tag 0x0055, MPEG-1 layer [MP3] )

Then when I hit demux, it only allows me to save it as an mp3. What do I do with these files that bring about that error message in virt mod dub

Going on to next steps with one that did seem to work. Thanks.

Wendi
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What did gspot say under the audio properties of your avi - was it ac3 or mp3?

am gonna try another avi file
    (banging head on table) PLEASE - I don't know who's more confused now me or you!
    Before following the above guide you need to establish what format the audio is (and use another guide if it's not AC3)

OMG were on page 2!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wendi
    Yes it is an ac3 i think
    Just for info here is an example using GSpot of an Xvid with ac3 audio
    and an Xvid with mp3 , just to help you identify correctly in the future.

Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK
    If you can save the ac3 , that is your audio for use in TMPGenc DVD Author.

If it is MP3 -DO NOT Demux and save as MP3 , you save that as a WAV.
    The WAV will then be your audio in TMPGenc DVD Author.

TDA will accept ac3 or wav for your DVD. MP3 is NOT what is called DVD Compliant and will not work.

I don't want to complicate things anymore than they are already but if your AVI has ac3 it is best to use it for your DVD as it takes much less space up on your disc , allowing more space for your Video ie Better Quality .
    If your original is mp3 you Have to convert it to WAV to use it on a DVD.
    A Wav file is much larger than an ac3 maybe 3 times , which means less space for the video ie slightly lower quality.

I hope you can get it to work now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your original is mp3 you Have to convert it to WAV to use it on a DVD.
    unless you live in PAL land, then you can convert it to MP2 (again saving space)
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Roderz - haven't done the PAL vs NTSC thing yet?
    Quote Quote