VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Kill Bill Vol 1, the Quentin Tarantino revenge thriller starring Uma Thurman, reportedly sold more than two million DVDs in its first day on US release.
    The figure was revealed by Miramax studio executives to the Hollywood Reporter industry newspaper.

The studio called Kill Bill an "extraordinary" achievement, although the first part divided critics on its cinema release last year.

The sequel to the film, Kill Bill Vol 2, opens in US cinemas on Friday.

US critics have been largely upbeat in their reviews of the second instalment.

In Variety magazine, Todd McCarthy described it as "a tasty and elegant conclusion to the film-maker's serving of deep-dish cinephilia".

"What Quentin Tarantino started with a wham he finishes with a bang," he wrote.

"Less spectacular than Vol 1, the second half may not match the biz of the first instalment, but as a whole is a personal reverie that generates a trance-like dramatic power of its own."

New York Times reviewer Elvis Mitchell called it "the most voluptuous comic-book movie ever made".

Christy Lemire, reviewing it for US news agency Associated Press, wrote that "if (Volume 1) was like a roundhouse kick to the head, (Volume 2) is practically a warm hug".

And Rolling Stone magazine's Peter Travers wrote: " You'll thrill to the action, savour the tasty dialogue and laugh like bloody hell."

This week, Tarantino appeared as a guest judge on American Idol, the British-made reality talent search series that has been a huge hit on US TV.
    No mention of why this sold so many copies inspite of the constant threat of piracy.

Buddha says that, while he may show you the way, only you can truly save yourself, proving once and for all that he's a lazy, fat bastard.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I saw a special on IFC tonight. The second half looks good too. Plenty of action.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I saw a special on IFC tonight. The second half looks good too. Plenty of action.
    Looking forward to this myself. I am also looking forward to Vol 1 dropping through my letterbox today / tomorrow (fingers crossed).

Buddha says that, while he may show you the way, only you can truly save yourself, proving once and for all that he's a lazy, fat bastard.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Theres bound to be a "special", with the goodness that was taken out, put back in! then theres the two disc set with directors commentary (which might actually mean something)
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah I get off work in 2 and half hours, then its striaght to go see Vol. 2.
    Quote Quote  
  6. VOl 2 rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You wont be disapointed!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sLiMpAuLy
    VOl 2 rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You wont be disapointed!!!
    I never really thought I would.

However on a related note I was just at rotten tomatoes and wow the reviews for punisher are kinda grim. Lets home they are all idiots. but then thats kinda WAY off topic of the orginal message.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Kill Bill DVD Volume 1 has been out on the Internet for months. So I guess that's the reason it only sold 2 Million copies instead fo 4 million. Let's see, $29.95 suggest list price times 2 million is....$60 million lost to piracy.

See how easy it is???
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  9. I now you listed MSRP as 29.95, but it's selling most places for $14.99 - $19.99.

If they go off MSRP, then I'm guessing their numbers are going to be way off all the time.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My point is a movie loses money because it sucks, not because of Piracy. Passion of the Christ was pirated opening day....didn't hurt it's sales. The list goes on and on and on.

Kill Bill 2 will do very very well, yet I expect many version to be pirated by next weekend. Blah...it's a definately must-see wide-screen DTS kinda movie (like the Matrix or LOTR movies!!!). Got my tickets 2marrow afternoon!
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vol 2 is a good chick flic (seen it last night) , it is still good though ....
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Best Buy has Kill Bill Vol. 1 and Reservoir Dogs together for $20 (U.S.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    vol 2 is a good chick flic (seen it last night) , it is still good though ....
    I guess I could see that, but that means your "chick" managed to get through Vol. 1, which uhm... wow.

But yes it was an excellent movie.
    Quote Quote