VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi!

I have an WinTV Radio running under Win2k with WFV-Drivers. Capturing at all Resolutions is no Problem (no dropped frames, Audio OK). But the full resolution (768x576) can't be captured. Always lots of dropped frames and audio Problems. I have PIII 800, HD at UDMA66, 328MB. I tried several Progs (VirtualDub, VidCap32 etc.) with huffyuv 2.1.1 codec at YUY2.
    Has anybody successfully captured at full resolution with this card and when, using which program and codec?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I have managed it (just) - but only by using a Motion JPEG codec with a quality setting around 85%. I run a Duron 850 with 512MB RAM, UDMA/66 7200 RPM hard disks and Win2K SP2.

Frankly, you'd be better off capping at 480x576 with HUFYUV - which is a lossless codec with good compression, then do a precise resize to 768x576 - the vertical resolution is more important to picture quality than the horizontal. (After all, that's how Anamorphic Widescreen DVDs work) At 480x576 you should be able to do 25fps, even on a 5400 rpm drive. I use Virtual Dub to cap at this resolution because it lets you set custom frame sizes that actually work with the WinTV (AVI_IO lets you do it too, but on my system the captured video is garbage).

Don't forget to use YUY2 for the video source format; RGB24 will give you too high a data rate.

Hope that helps.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanx for your help.
    With MJPEG it was possible to capture at full resolution. My idea was, that my VideoCard wasn't able to do that, but it seems that my harddisk is not fast enough. After that I tried capturing to a ramdrive and it works, too. I wanted to capture short clips at maximum quality and for that the ramdrive seems to be the best solution.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Salamibrot on 2001-11-06 05:52:05 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  4. what program are u using to make the ramdrive?

the one with windows limit you to I think 32 megs..

I was thinking of making a 512meg ramdrive now that rams are so cheap.

Quote Quote  
  5. It's not actually worth capturing the full 768 horizontal, most of the detail in TV signals goes to the scanlines (vertical), capture all of those and leave the horizontal resolution down at 352-400, you won't gain much quality in capturing more, and it will make it a lot harder on your com, as well as taking up more disk space, it also means that you have to capture at a lower MJPEG quality setting.
    Quote Quote