VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. With the intent to encode to mpeg2 or mpeg4, is it a good idea to try to remove some of the grain and noise in the original DV files that I transfered over from a D8/Hi8 player with DV over Firewire capabilities?

If so, how do I do that? Will Premiere 7 do that, or get a 3rd party program to do it?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Filtering will remove noise, usually with some lose of resolution. Virtualdub, TMPGEnc both have noise filters. Virtualdub seems to have more filters/options. Noise filtering will generally improve the picture if it's noisy, but will add to the encoding time if used while encoding, sometimes by quite a bit. I filter DV in Virtualdub and frameserve the result to TMPGEnc to save some time and HD space. Old VHS tape really benefits from filtering, but it takes a long time to do a adaquate job. You need a fast computer and a lot of spare time to do it right. Filtering random noise will give you a slightly faster and better encode, though.
    Quote Quote