VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    After good results but bad laptop compatibility with DVD+Rs, I am probably going to switch to DVD-Rs. What is the best DVD-R media for the Optorite DD0201 firmware 2.5 price performance wise.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I personally look for 'performance' before I look at price.

Having said that I have the same drive you mentioned...and I have mostly used Ritek/RiData(same thing), Samsung, and Taiyo Yuden. I have sampled the following and found them to be far less reliable ; Optodisc, DupEZ, Princo, and I give Prodisc, an eh, since it seems to come and go.

But if I wanted something as close to a sure thing as you can get, I would go with Ritek/RiData, Samsung, and Taiyo Yuden.

My $.02
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your response. I was thinking about getting Ritek media from the start since the Ridata G04 media is recommended by both Optorite and people using this drive. Having said that, I have been reading some real horror stories recently on this board from people using this exact same media with terrible results. Should I go for it and buy the 50 pack of "Genuine Ritek G04 Grade A DVD-R 1X-4X Silver Matte" from Meritline for $43 per 50 pack spindle?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have never bought from Meritline, I get mine from Rima.com and they are out of stock right now

I have yet to get a Ritek that has made a coaster or had playback problems, I really think most of the problems are user error.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Right now there are way too many people complaining about the Riteks in the red packs in this thread:

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212904

And not newbies prone to user error either. My hero LORDSMURF says:

My nasties all came from RIMA.COM ... the shiny silvers and the matte silvers... only ORANGE ones from MERITLINE and the INKJET from RIMA were any good in recent months.

I've now dumped RITEK personally
    Anyway, I think I will actually buy a 25 or 50 pack of OPTODISC gold tops from RIMA.com. They are endorsed compatible with my drive by Optorite, Meritline, and a few users on this site. And they are cheap too plus that pretty gold color. I will buy them tonight so if anyone really hates OPTODISCSs, speak now!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. I just bought a 25 pack of gold top Optodisc for $20 total from Newegg.com.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Give me a heads up on the results.

As for Ritek...I only use the white top inkjet printables so that may be the reason that I have yet to get a bad batch.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was pretty anxious on getting them today, testing them out, and posting the results. But sure enough I missed the Fedex man when I took a 20 minute walk today (I spent every other part of the day at home). That sucked.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Got my 25 discs today. If anything can be said about these, it is that they are quite pretty. Definitely the most beautiful branded recordable media I have ever seen. I LAAAAAAV GOLLLLLLLLLD as goldmember said.

Of course that don't mean jack shit if the discs are crap.

Anyway, these are the OPTODISCR004 not OPTODISCK001 so Optorite officially supports this media to burn at 4x.

When I burn DVDs, I disable internet connection and turn off all backround programs such as anti-virus and also screensaver. I don't know if you guys do this. I have burned three so far.

First using Nero 6.3 "DVD Copy" to copy a video DVD-R. Burned at 4x succesfully.

Second and third using DVD Shrink 3.1 and Nero 6.3 to burn backups of commercial DVDs. Burned at 4x successfully.

All three played well on Magnavox and Panasonic stand alone players and a Matshita DVD-ROM. I have not watched every second of any of these so it is possible that there is a skip or error some where but I have tracked around each thouroughly and all looks good.

Three is not enough to determine media quality of course but it does look promising.

Conclusion: media burns successfully on Optorite DD0201 fw2.50 at 4x.

More results to come!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. After burning 20 of these puppies, I can say results are so-so. Only one real "coaster" (due to user error) but a number of them have errors. The very edges of these discs have some kind of speckly crap on it, as if the factory was dirty. This stuff has actually ruined the last few minutes of one of my burns.

Discs verify succesfully with Nero at 2x but I have had a verification fail at 4x. Even at 2x, the write surface looks a little weird. There is usually a dark band in the middle between two lighter bands. That said, from how much I have tested, I did not notice any errors in the middle of the movie.

Overall, some seemingly "perfect" shrinks but also some movies that are unplayable on certain systems because of menu errors. This is not crap media but at times, I just feel like doing what other folks here do and buy those $1.35 Taiyo Yudens and not worry about having to look for skips in a movie. I have a bunch of these Optodiscs left though so maybe I will get into a better groove with these.
    Quote Quote