VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've captured a 10 second section from a VHS movie in both 352x480 and 640x480 formats.

In both captures I had -no- dropped frames.

On the resulting files, the same filters were used to reduce noise, smooth, etc.

I fed the AVI files into TMPGEnc v2.00. Both ended up around 1880K in size.

I played both of them in Windows Media Player at 100% and at 200% sizes. There's very little difference between the two.

Is it worth it to encode at the 640x480 format in the long run? I have the hardware and storage to record about an hour in that format. Does the video and audio become desynced after a period of time in one format or the other?

Quote Quote  
  2. what is your target resolution?
    Quote Quote  
  3. The size of the encoded MPEG is based on the bitrate you choose, the size of the source does not matter. Generally speaking you want to capture in the highest quaility (resolution and color depth) possible, even if you plan to reduce both latter.

However, if you capture at the final desired resolution you don't have to resize, which saves a LOT of encoding time. Also the lower the resolution the faster the encode.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's no point in capturing in a resolution greater than 352x480 when capturing from VHS.

Reason? The VHS has got a resolution at ~320x240 so capturing at a higher resolution only results in a resize.

So the best resolution should be 352x240 since it's close to the original resolution. However, the optimal is 352x480 since then you'll capture both fields.

So 352x480 is the best way Then encode it to VCD...
    Quote Quote  
  5. My Bad.

The target for all of this was VCD format (352x240).
    I know about capturing at 352x480 to get both odd and even fields. I was just wondering if capturing at a higher horizontal resolution made any difference (1) in audio/video synchronization when it came to encoding, and (2) in the quality of the video.

I will say the MPEG-1 file made from the 640x480 file did look a little bit smoother in the screen shot I took. When it was running, however, there didn't seem to be any difference.

Thanks for the info, folks!

Quote Quote  
  6. in my experience 352*480 -> 352*240 turns out better than 640*480 -> 352*240.

my card (like many i have read about) stretch the 320*240 to 352*240 when capturing at 352. in my experience, allowing the card to do the stretching is superior to stretching afterwards with a filter.

thus I cap 352*480

Quote Quote  
  7. with vcd being so inappropriate for your source i'd say personal preference is the only argument you could make between the two. most people tend to prefer blending fields rather than completely discarding one....any argument for one or the other would be down to perceived quality
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Personally, I think that deinterlacing with blend gives the best quality.. just my opinion.
    Quote Quote